Hot Glass Class

kcmo74

Just now, PinkSandGirl said:

On the Equinox in October '21 we were able to blow the glass.  There were alcohol wipes that we had to clean the rod with ourselves... I was a bit leary but all was well. 😉

🍹

Seems like you can thermally disinfect it with the glory hole.  But then again you would have to make sure it cooled down before using it.  Come to think of it, the alcohol swabs are an excellent idea.

1 minute ago, mahdnc said:

Seems like you can thermally disinfect it with the glory hole.  But then again you would have to make sure it cooled down before using it.  Come to think of it, the alcohol swabs are an excellent idea. 

Mulitple alcohol wipes in use.  😉

🍹

On 5/19/2022 at 3:53 PM, kcmo74 said:

My wife used some of her OBC to purchase a hot glass class on the Solstice, as glass blowing has always been a favorite of hers. My question is will we have to sign up for a specific time slot once onboard? There was no choice for day or time when we purchased so just wondering about how you find out or sign up for the specifics of day and time for the experience. Thanks!

When is your cruise?  We are interested in this for our August Alaska cruise, but it is dependent on how much you get to participate so would love current feedback if you do this before then.

Thanks

Mimbecky

58 minutes ago, mimbecky said:

When is your cruise?  We are interested in this for our August Alaska cruise, but it is dependent on how much you get to participate so would love current feedback if you do this before then.

Thanks

Mimbecky

The days and times of the Hot Glass classes are listed  on the app. You may want to stop by and observe the process. Then you’ll know firsthand whether the participation level is what you’re after. If you like what you see you can schedule a class. 

2 hours ago, thebutlerdidit said:

The days and times of the Hot Glass classes are listed  on the app. You may want to stop by and observe the process. Then you’ll know firsthand whether the participation level is what you’re after. If you like what you see you can schedule a class. 

Look at the daily for the first and second day. They usually have a demonstration where you can watch and ask questions about how it works and what you will be able to do.

On 5/23/2022 at 7:12 AM, thebutlerdidit said:

I pre-purchased the class for one, then decided to purchase it for my cabin mate as well. Yesterday I cancelled those purchases (at $120 each) in favor of booking the class for two (at $220, a savings of $20). When booking the class for two guests I checked both my name and my cabin mate’s name, because after all - the class was for two. But when I did that, the price changed to $440. So I ended up just checking my name and paying the $220.  Is this what others have experienced in the Cruise Planner?

We did, so we called about it.  You just book the one class with one passenger's name on it.  It's a class for two, so it's like those excursions where the slot you buy is for more than one person.

You did right to check only your name.  Otherwise, you were buying two classes for two.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mimbecky said:

Thanks

Mimbecky

June 10th, I will try and report back

• 2 months later...
On 5/24/2022 at 4:39 PM, kcmo74 said:

June 10th, I will try and report back

I have a cruise coming up on the Solstice in two weeks and am thinking of using some OBC on this.   But if it's only watching vs doing probably not worth the $120. Can you provide feedback on how much hands-on participation there was on your cruise?

Thanks,  Lisa

4 hours ago, Eight_Paws said:

I have a cruise coming up on the Solstice in two weeks and am thinking of using some OBC on this.   But if it's only watching vs doing probably not worth the $120. Can you provide feedback on how much hands-on participation there was on your cruise?

Thanks,  Lisa

I've made 3 pieces on 2 different Celebrity cruises. You do participate. I remember blowing air through the tube, rotating the hot glass and using tweezers to pull glass. We are back on Solstice next month. I'm planning on making 2 more pieces.

Edited by bigbenboys
added photo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I just did this on the Equinox on Aug. 19.  How much involvement depends on the piece you make.  However with all of them you definitely have some hands on.  They even have an apparatus now for you to "blow" via a hand pump bulb.  I made the turtle paper weight and was involved in every step of the process (always guided).  I even got to rotate the glass in the oven.

IMG_6053.jpeg

IMG_6066.jpg

• Like 10

4 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

I've made 3 pieces on 2 different Celebrity cruises. You do participate. I remember blowing air through the tube, rotating the hot glass and using tweezers to pull glass. We are back on Solstice next month. I'm planning on making 2 more pieces.

Very helpful, thank you. Looks like a fun experience!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rockymtn2 said:

I just did this on the Equinox on Aug. 19.  How much involvement depends on the piece you make.  However with all of them you definitely have some hands on.  They even have an apparatus now for you to "blow" via a hand pump bulb.  I made the turtle paper weight and was involved in every step of the process (always guided).  I even got to rotate the glass in the oven.

IMG_6053.jpeg

IMG_6066.jpg

Super cute!

If you are making a small piece, is it cheaper to book onboard?  Online it is currently $114 I believe..  I have seen older posts that smaller pieces are cheaper than that.

Thanks!  Lisa

20 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

Thank you for posting your video. I’m disappointed that you didn’t get a round of applause from the audience when you completed your piece and bowed. Rude. 
👏🏼  👏🏼 👏🏼 

On 8/25/2022 at 3:39 PM, Eight_Paws said:

Super cute!

If you are making a small piece, is it cheaper to book onboard?  Online it is currently $114 I believe..  I have seen older posts that smaller pieces are cheaper than that.

Thanks!  Lisa

I believe if you pick a cheaper piece they'll refund the difference.  Not sure how it works if the online price is discounted from the usual $120.  Either way you can't reserve a day or time online, you must go to the Hot Glass Studio and sign up, regardless whether you've paid online or not.  Do it early because on our cruise they did sell out of time slots.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 12:07 PM, rockymtn2 said:

IMG_6053.jpeg

IMG_6066.jpg

Thanks for posting this…the turtle is what I’m hoping to make as well. Did you have to pay extra for it or was it included in the price you paid for the class? I understand some of the larger pieces are an up charge. 

4 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Thanks for posting this…the turtle is what I’m hoping to make as well. Did you have to pay extra for it or was it included in the price you paid for the class? I understand some of the larger pieces are an up charge. 

The turtle is $200, so I had to pay an extra $80 over the $120 I paid online.  It was our souvenir for this cruise, so we didn't mind paying for exactly what we wanted.  I was surprised how much I was actually able to do, so it was worth it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rockymtn2 said:

The turtle is $200, so I had to pay an extra $80 over the $120 I paid online.  It was our souvenir for this cruise, so we didn't mind paying for exactly what we wanted.  I was surprised how much I was actually able to do, so it was worth it.

Sorry, another question, do they wrap it for you for travel at all? I can just see me getting home and the head is off 😩 Otherwise guess I could bring some bubble wrap with me 🤔

5 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Sorry, another question, do they wrap it for you for travel at all? I can just see me getting home and the head is off 😩 Otherwise guess I could bring some bubble wrap with me 🤔

They wrap it, but only in paper and then in a paper bag.  The turtle is actually quite substantial, but I don't think I would trust it in my checked luggage, especially at $200.  We wrapped it in some t-shirts and carried it on as a personal item in a beach bag!  I meant to bring bubble wrap, but forgot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2022 at 8:12 AM, thebutlerdidit said:

I pre-purchased the class for one, then decided to purchase it for my cabin mate as well. Yesterday I cancelled those purchases (at $120 each) in favor of booking the class for two (at $220, a savings of $20). When booking the class for two guests I checked both my name and my cabin mate’s name, because after all - the class was for two. But when I did that, the price changed to $440. So I ended up just checking my name and paying the $220.  Is this what others have experienced in the Cruise Planner?

We had the same problem so we contacted Celebrity. They told us that you only put one person's name on because "guest" is already on there. I know you have probably already figured that out but this may help someone in the future.

On 8/26/2022 at 6:26 AM, thebutlerdidit said:

Thank you for posting your video. I’m disappointed that you didn’t get a round of applause from the audience when you completed your piece and bowed. Rude. 
👏🏼  👏🏼 👏🏼 

There was plenty of applause when it was pulled from the furnace.

Oh good lord!  I had forgotten about this being an X option.  My DH is obsessed with glass blowing.  So much so that we paid for him to have lessons from a local glass blower.  I don't know if he'll want to do it on the ship or not but I will mention it.  I love the options of what can be made!

• Like 1