Canary Island Disembarkation Concerns

Sleeptastic

We’re due to do a Canary Island cruise with my parents in September on Ventura. This will be our 1st since COVID. My parents don’t fly and are concerned about being asked to leave the ship if they test positive and worried about how they would get home.  My understanding is that once we are on ship we won’t need to be tested and, therefore wonder how P&O would know if anyone has tested positive. Can anyone advise if this is a reasonable thought process and, whether P&O may be likely to do random testing if, for example, there is an outbreak of COVID on the ship and if this is the case would we be asked to leave mid way through the cruise  if we did indeed test positive.  Thanks for your help!

I'm not 100% sure but I imagine you would only be tested if you had covid symptoms.  They do have quarantine cabins at the moment but lots could change before September I suppose.

At least one person who posts on this board had to quarantine earlier this year, hopefully he/she will come along with more accurate information. 

• Like 1

I understand your concerns as I am also a non flyer! I’ve been having the same thoughts and am on the brink of booking a cruise for the summer but I’m sticking to mainland Europe in case I have to make my own way home! 

It’s impossible to predict what things will be like in September. 

The rule to be disembarked at a port is one specified by the country, not P&O, therefore anything is possible in September. As far as I am aware the main country insisting on this was Spain and I understand that is currently not taking place.

I have not seen, or heard, of any random testing currently taking place but again anything is possible.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best is all you can do at the moment

• Like 3

Thanks all. Yeah, realise that it’s impossible to guess what the situation is going to be like in September but as the deposit is soon due I was just hoping for a view on the current situation and peoples experiences from their recent trips so we can make a decision whether we’re happy to go ahead or not. Completely get that things may well change between now and then. 

1 hour ago, david63 said:

The rule to be disembarked at a port is one specified by the country, not P&O, therefore anything is possible in September. As far as I am aware the main country insisting on this was Spain and I understand that is currently not taking place.

I have not seen, or heard, of any random testing currently taking place but again anything is possible.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best is all you can do at the moment

David as my personal cruise consultant, do you know if anyone has been quarantined on board with covid so far?

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

David as my personal cruise consultant, do you know if anyone has been quarantined on board with covid so far?

I don't but I will try and find out - not really somewhere I want to go, although I am not naive enough to think that there is no Covid onboard

My view if you have any doubts don't go, because you could spend the entire cruise worrying about what could possibly happen not a very relaxing time, as we have already cruised last year and if all goes well this year as well, we have a tendency to not to worry.

• Like 2

We have cruised already this year and have others booked for summer and autumn this year.  We were decided that as we were both fully vaccinated and boosted we had to start getting back to our "normal" life.  There were cases of Covid on board but we took the attitude that we are responsible  for our own health and wore masks in crowded places.  We were on Princess and they supplied KN95 masks in the cabins.  You are the only person who can decide what is best for you and if you have doubts about your safety then perhaps you shouldn't go.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I dont have serious doubts, but it is  worth knowing the percentage risk, hence my interest in how many quarantine cases are currently on board.

Once they stop testing and infected folk don't have much in the way of symptoms, no quarantine needed unless somebody goes to see the doctor and is testing. Time to get back to normal.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 1

Someone just got off Ventura having spent second week of cruise on deck 9 in isolation. Said at least 8 cabins occupied. Another just got home and now has covid. Says people had it but said nothing so spread around. Bound to happen and just hope people were not too ill. I caught it on Ventura in March but had no symptoms until day after I got home.

For me, it’s not the fear of Covid but the fear of being disembarked. Not the fear of quarantine but having to fly home, and I suspect that is also the fear of the original poster. I know that I could fall ill or have an accident at any time and possibly have to fly home but my reasoning is that I would be well out of it if I were really poorly! Like anything else, when you have a real fear it’s difficult for others to understand, so I sympathise in this case. Which is why I would choose a cruise to mainland Europe at the moment! 

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

That risk is there even without Covid.  If you became ill with anything and needed hospitalization, you would still have to fly home.  I don't fly either.

If you need urgent hospitalisation, then you have to accept that you will be disembarked, and ultimately need to travel home by air. Currently even asymptomatic covid cases are facing quarantine and disembarkation.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

As far as I can ascertain, and there is no guarantee that this is correct, there are currently no passengers in isolation on Britannia

22 minutes ago, david63 said:

As far as I can ascertain, and there is no guarantee that this is correct, there are currently no passengers in isolation on Britannia

Thanks David, that is reassuring, maybe all the restrictions will just begin to fade away now the media seem preoccupied with monkey pox.

Edited by terrierjohn

16 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Thanks David, that is reassuring, maybe all the restrictions will just begin to fade away now the media seem preoccupied with monkey pox.

FB_IMG_1653316637166.jpg.bf7ac86b7cbc01aa62cbd799bfa0481b.jpg

• Haha 3