My Time Dining

We are saying on HOS this Sunday.  We have MTD.  Just realized you could book time in advance.  Checked and earliest time available every single night was 8:15.  We like to eat early (6 pm or so).  Anyone know why only 8:15 pm or later are only times available?  My time does MTD start every evening?  How can we eat earlier using MTD?

At this late juncture, it's possible that earlier MTD slots have already been filled. Go visit the Maître d' in the MDR as soon as you board. If there are earlier openings available, they will do their best to accommodate you.

• Thanks 1

Do you have the app?  Check the app to see what time MTD is scheduled to start for your cruise.  I suspect you will find it does not even start until about 7:15 on the app.

That leaves you with a choice: either try to switch to early traditional dining (call your TA today if you used one, or Royal if you booked direct)…. Or line up with a bunch of other people waiting for MTD to open (some of them will be grumpy because they did not know MTD would start later than it used to and it is messing up other plans)

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Thanks 1

Here’s my explanation of the new, not-improved MTD system, so that you will understand why MTD is now scheduled to start later.  I copied this from another thread as the topic seems to come up regularly.

Traditional early dining uses decks 3, 4, and 5 at about 5 pm.  So all the tables are quickly and efficiently filled with assigned guests right away (except those tables that happen to be empty because guests elect to eat elsewhere that night).  MTD is not scheduled to start until about 6:30-7:00 or so (about when some early traditional diners finished with meals).  As the early traditional diners on deck 3 vacate their tables, the tables are cleaned and MTD guests are then seated.  Meanwhile, there is pent up demand for tables as many MTD guests expected to be able to get a table as early as 5pm (they did not read threads like this or did not believe them).  So the MTD line at opening is long.  Knowing the line is long, others with later reservations line up, hoping to reach the front of the line by the time if their reservation.  Also remember:if service for early dining guests happens to be slow for any reason, the early diners will of course exit later, making the MTD guests wait longer on nights when service is apt to be slow once they are finally seated; a recipe for frustration.  

Pre shutdown lines for MTD on deck 3 were so bad as we exited early traditional dining, we had difficulty getting past the waiting people to reach the elevators or the stairs to leave the area.  The people waiting in the (disorganized looking) end of the MTD line were cranky, some acting as though everyone going to the elevator or stair lobby was trying to cut into their line.  It made quite an impression on us.  We won’t do MTD, and I no longer recommend it to anyone who likes to eat relatively early.

Late Traditional dining is on deck 4 and 5.

• Thanks 2

Harmony MTD starts around 7:00pm since they share the MDR with traditional times when those are complete. We changed to MDR once onboard. The line for MTD when we would exit about 6:30-7:00

was crazy long !!!!! 

• Like 1

The old MTD was a nice concept with a full dedicated deck just for that venue.  

Now.  IMHO...MTD is a total fail.   MTD is now a "fit in" around the early traditional dining pax.  As they leave their tables, they fit you in.   If your table is occupied by "lingering" diners...you will have to wait.  If they eat and leave quickly...you may be in luck.  

Used to love MTD...now...avoid it totally and have gone back to traditional dining.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Harmony MTD starts around 7:00pm since they share the MDR with traditional times when those are complete. We changed to MDR once onboard. The line for MTD when we would exit about 6:30-7:00

was crazy long !!!!! 

Total nightmare on 2 weeks ago  Mariner 8 night!!  😮 

1 minute ago, Ashland said:

Also a mess on Explorer our B2B in March.

Yes, indeed it was.  That was the first time we finally gave up and went back to the "old days" for us and changed back to traditional dining.  I have now changed all of my future booking (on ships that don't have a CK) to traditional dining.  Won't do MTD again under the current set up.  😮 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sailor05 said:

Anyone know how this works on Ovation or that class of ships since they have 4 dining rooms?

MTD is usually in the two venues on deck 4, while traditional is in the two venues on deck 3.

• Like 1

Just now, Biker19 said:

MTD is usually in the two venues on deck 4, while traditional is in the two venues on deck 3.

So des this help with the long lines? We've always done early traditional but they start at 5:00 pm which is earlier than we like or have ever seen so we're giving MTD a try this cruise.

1 minute ago, sailor05 said:

So des this help with the long lines? We've always done early traditional but they start at 5:00 pm which is earlier than we like or have ever seen so we're giving MTD a try this cruise.

That probably depends on the capacity of the sailing, MTD reservation time, number of staff, etc, but it should, some. It also depends on what you call long lines - having them stretch to the elevators on the first night is sorta the norm, especially on the non-reservation side (there are two separate lines for MTD - with and without reservations).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sailor05 said:

Anyone know how this works on Ovation or that class of ships since they have 4 dining rooms?

Well, the app shows that Anthem is following the pattern I outlined above.

Early traditional dining is scheduled on decks 3 and 4.
MTD on deck 4 starts after the early diners begin to dribble out (6:45).  Late traditional dining on deck 3.

I cannot pull up the maid dining room schedule for Ovation right now.  Still, as the passenger count rises, odds that they will utilize the above plan also rise.

If you like to eat early, perhaps just sign up for early traditional dining; you may find it less frustrating.   If you tend to eat substantially than the MTD opening time, then MTD might still work out fine for you.  

• Like 1

I mentioned this in another MTD-related thread...

Unless they have changed the table and seating arrangements, there should be no major issues with MTD.  If you go back to the days before MTD, every passenger had an assigned seat in the MDR.  Even if some passengers never planned to eat in the MDR, they had a seat assigned. Since there were two seatings per night, the MDR must have half the number of seats as total passengers on the ship.  

Now, if you allow passengers to book with the MTD option, that means those who choose it will no longer have assigned seats in the MDR.  As long as they didn't remove any tables or chairs, there should still be enough seats in the MDR to accommodate pax wanting to eat at different times.  The only challenge would be if all the MTD want to eat at the same time.  That would not work because it relies on two seating times, with enough time between shifts to cleanup and ready a table for the next group.  Except, there is one more factor - there will always be some number of pax who have an assigned seat in the MDR bu don't show up to eat. 

Some pax will be eating in the WJ, specialty restaurants or ordering room service.  At some point, when there is a no-show for an assigned table, that could be released for MTD pax.  If early seating is at 5:50, then by 6:15, if the pax assigned to that table have not arrived, they seat MTD pax.  In fact, they should already know when pax have reserved specialty restaurants, so in that case, they don't even need to wait for the no-shows.  Of course they need to make sure to tell pax that by making a specialty reservation, the are giving up their MDR seating.  This is not rocket science.  They just need to create an appropriate computer system to manage it (yeah...I know..."Royal IT"!)

13 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I mentioned this in another MTD-related thread...

Unless they have changed the table and seating arrangements, there should be no major issues with MTD.  If you go back to the days before MTD, every passenger had an assigned seat in the MDR.  Even if some passengers never planned to eat in the MDR, they had a seat assigned. Since there were two seatings per night, the MDR must have half the number of seats as total passengers on the ship.  

Now, if you allow passengers to book with the MTD option, that means those who choose it will no longer have assigned seats in the MDR.  As long as they didn't remove any tables or chairs, there should still be enough seats in the MDR to accommodate pax wanting to eat at different times.  The only challenge would be if all the MTD want to eat at the same time.  That would not work because it relies on two seating times, with enough time between shifts to cleanup and ready a table for the next group.  Except, there is one more factor - there will always be some number of pax who have an assigned seat in the MDR bu don't show up to eat. 

Some pax will be eating in the WJ, specialty restaurants or ordering room service.  At some point, when there is a no-show for an assigned table, that could be released for MTD pax.  If early seating is at 5:50, then by 6:15, if the pax assigned to that table have not arrived, they seat MTD pax.  In fact, they should already know when pax have reserved specialty restaurants, so in that case, they don't even need to wait for the no-shows.  Of course they need to make sure to tell pax that by making a specialty reservation, the are giving up their MDR seating.  This is not rocket science.  They just need to create an appropriate computer system to manage it (yeah...I know..."Royal IT"!)

That would only work for two tops, can't add to a large table where most are in the middle of eating. Now with Covid restrictions going the way of the Dodo bird the two tops are also disappearing.  Lot of people going back to asking for a large table. 

44 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

That would only work for two tops, can't add to a large table where most are in the middle of eating. Now with Covid restrictions going the way of the Dodo bird the two tops are also disappearing.  Lot of people going back to asking for a large table. 

I'm not sure why it would only work for two-tops.  Some families would need more than two seats, or if you have, say an 8-top open and several MTD groups with a total of 8 or less persons, seat them together, just like they do with non-MTD groups.  

MTD is a mess and will continue to be unless RCI does make changes.

I am surprised that a lot of folks want early dining. Use to be a fair amount would like later dining.

The concept of MTD is not working as it is not allowing folks to pick their times unless past 6:45.

So in a way MTD is fast becoming Late dining.

This is why I just do the WJ and specialty.  I find Main Dining rooms to be very noisy, and very chilly with air conditioning.  I prefer WJ as one cane load up on things they like. The idea of fine dining on cruise ships is no longer what it used to be say 20 years ago.

To me fine dining is what you do when you go to the specialty restaurants.  I also like SJ for desserts as you can get them and your coffee at the same time.

I find eating a nice big lunch in WJ a good option.  Some of the lunches are like dinners and they have items you would not find at night.   

3 hours ago, rudeney said:

Since there were two seatings per night, the MDR must have half the number of seats as total passengers on the ship.  

Some ships don't - regular Q class MDR has somewhere between 1600-1800 (400-450 per venue) seats (for a ship around 4200 at 100% capacity) - Spectrum/Odyssey is closer to 2000.

I hated MTD when I was on NCL.  We had a 7 year old (she's 9 now) and were assigned MTD (NCL automatically gives this to all guests).  You had to make reservations EVERY NIGHT and couldn't show up early or call ahead to ask if you could move your reservation.  Dining time was a MINIMUM 2 hours due to staffing.  Try telling a hungry 7 year old to wait 2 HOURS for their dinner!  We were told that we could try other restaurants in the hopes that they had an opening.  We just went to the Windjammer on nights where we had to eat earlier since it was much more efficient.

Now we ALWAYS get the early seating!  She is coming with us on our next cruise (we're telling her next weekend to celebrate the end of school), we're trying her out with Early Seating this time.  

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Some ships don't - regular Q class MDR has somewhere between 1600-1800 (400-450 per venue) seats (for a ship around 4200 at 100% capacity) - Spectrum/Odyssey is closer to 2000.

I know the Q class ships have many dining options, but doesn't every passenger still get an assigned MDR seat?  I know MTD pax don't get an assignment, but if these ships were in server before MTD was offered. how did they handle that?

9 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

If you like to eat early, perhaps just sign up for early traditional dining; you may find it less frustrating.   If you tend to eat substantially than the MTD opening time, then MTD might still work out fine for you.  

We have always done early traditional dining. At one point it was 6:00 pm for a long time, then it became 5:30 which was a little early but now on this cruise it's 5:00 pm. To me that's just WAY too early for dinner. That combined with the fact that our 3 port times on this Alaskan cruise have us likely off the ship until later in the afternoon and evening we decided MTD would be a better fit. But now we're hearing nightmarish stories of long lines for MTD.