Medallion Pick Up: At the port vs mailed home

bassmk

I'm just wondering about people's experiences with both options. Is embarkation easier if you already have your medallion? Should I just leave it to pick it up at check-in? 

1 minute ago, wblotner66 said:

If we’re leaving for the cruise 7 days early will it get to us in time?

Our cruise is June 9th and mine (according to the tracking they provide) should be here tomorrow which would be 16 days before we cruise.

We have always had ours delivered to our home until this cruise. And, while it's fun to look forward to receiving them before leaving for vacation, it's always a little anxiety inducing wondering if they'll arrive on time before we fly out. For our Discovery Princess Alaska cruise, that we boarded yesterday, we chose to pick them up at the pier because we were traveling for the week before boarding. It literally added 30 seconds to our check-in process. We simply did our check in as usual (which also only too about a minute each) and then they sent us to a second counter where they gave us our medallions, and we were free to board. It was so quick and easy that I may well do this again for future sailings.

• Like 2

If someone steals the Medallions from your mail, they know when you will be on vacation and can easily figure out for how long. You also know the morals of the people with that information.

Edited by mtnesterz

2 hours ago, bassmk said:

I'm just wondering about people's experiences with both options. Is embarkation easier if you already have your medallion? Should I just leave it to pick it up at check-in? 

It took us about 1 minute to get our medallions at the terminal on our recent CB cruise out of SF, and we plan on continuing to pick them up just prior to boarding. For us, it's just one less thing to worry about.

• Like 1

10 cruises this year with Medallions- A couple prior to the "forced vacation" from cruising. Pick the answer you would like and I think we can give it to you. We have gotten them mailed to us, sometimes we get only one?. With the Medallion app, it has not been easy to get them ordered many times. Last cruise (two weeks ago) we were gone for three weeks prior to the cruise (different cruise :-)) and when we got to the terminal they would not give us Medallions as "Yours have already been mailed to your home". Told them about being away and they gave us a blue card to use to get aboard. Folks at Customs/Immigration would not recognize the blue card so we were asked to "step aside" while they checked with ????. Half hour later, we were waved through with instructions to go to customer service aboard the ship. Fun!  We have 6/7 upcoming cruises and I tried to use app with no success. Went to the chat line and spent an hour with them, only to find that I needed to call Princess. Who has three hours to spend on hold? I will take the hold time with medallions for upcoming cruise (June 19) do not show up in a couple of weeks--otherwise I will just continue to plan for great time.

Excellent! Thanks, guys. I appreciate the feedback! I think I'll just pick them up at the pier. My post office in my town is lame on a good day, and I'd hate to have them in charge of getting me something this important to my vacation. I wasn't sure if there was a benefit to already having it when you get to the port, but it sounds like there isn't really.