Americans flying via Canada when testing positive

bennybear

17 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Just read on two separate threads that Americans who test positive cannot fly into the US, but can into Canada.  I was surprised but it seems to be common knowledge?  

Where are they flying from?

59 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Just read on two separate threads that Americans who test positive cannot fly into the US, but can into Canada.  I was surprised but it seems to be common knowledge?  

I believe this is correct, you still require a negative test to fly into the US, but no longer require a negative result to fly into Canada. That being said, I also believe that the rules state that if you ARE positive, at least are showing symptoms, you're not to fly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

It's not a good way to state the fact that Canada does require a COVID test for entry.

People flying into Canada should keep in mind that random arrival testing is still carried out.

I believe it a violation of law to enter Canada by air with symptoms or a positive test result obtained less than 10 days prior to travel.

• Like 2

I flew AC into YYZ the day they changed the rules where you didn’t have to have a negative test in order to fly.  HOWEVER, you did have to complete an attestation saying you weren’t covid-positive and you didn’t have any symptoms.  Anyone flying into Canada, knowing they are positive, are lying on the form.  Basically, it’s an honour system which the dishonourable are going to ignore.

• Like 3

I’ve seen some people suggesting it as an option in order to circumvent the negative test requirement. From my point of view there are two significant flaws with this option.

First, think of the added cost and time required. Unless they planned to transit through Canada both ways, a last minute ticket from Europe will set off flags and it won’t be cheap. I did a quick check and a non-stop 1 way ticket on May 28th (weekend) from Barcelona to Toronto in economy is $1,400. In comparison, a last minute flight from Barcelona to JFK is only $601. An Uber ride will add at least another $150. Don’t forget the flight home and the cost of the unused flight which may be returned as a travel credit unless you paid extra for refundable tickets in the first place.

Second, CBSA will know you purchased your ticket last minute. The first question from the CBSA agent will probably be "So you live in the US and are coming to Toronto. How long are you planning on being here and where are you staying"? Somehow you know you’ll be “randomly” selected for a Covid test and you will get the expedited service, so theoretically they could end up being stuck quarantine in Canada which defeats the whole purpose of flying to Canada.

Will some try to beat the system? Sure, there may be some that will try but I highly doubt there will be many.

Edited by cdn_tbird
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, broberts said:

I believe it a violation of law to enter Canada by air with symptoms or a positive test result obtained less than 10 days prior to travel.

You are correct. We got COVID on our Alaska cruise a few weeks ago. Even though I had been in isolation 3 days on the ship, I had to start a 10 day isolation once I disembarked in Canada. I received a call from the government asking when I got COVID and how I got home. I had to isolate for 10 days. Three of us got COVID and two of us received phone calls. I expect they didn't call my husband because we live together.

I received an email reminding me to stay in isolation on day 7. If I was asked to get another test on day 8, I had to do so. Failure to complete the step could result in a $5,000 fine.

• Like 1

It was surprising to me to read two separate suggestions that is how people testing positive in Europe could get home to the  US without a negative test.  It seems that some are considering that as an option.    It worries me  as it exposes  people flying home to positive cases.  
perhaps the random testing needs to be more explicit  and this loophole closed.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, broberts said:

It's not a good way to state the fact that Canada does require a COVID test for entry.

People flying into Canada should keep in mind that random arrival testing is still carried out.

Canada does not require a COVID test for entry if one is fully vaccinated.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bennybear said:

It was surprising to me to read two separate suggestions that is how people testing positive in Europe could get home to the  US without a negative test.  It seems that some are considering that as an option.    It worries me  as it exposes  people flying home to positive cases.  

Random testing upon arrival in Canada will never prevent possible infection of other passengers by someone who is positive during the flight. The only way to prevent that is to require pre-flight negative tests from all passengers, as Canada did until recently and as the US continues to do.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about all the Canadians and other nationalities flying into Canada who haven't been tested but may well be infectious. I'd think that, statistically, they'd pose a greater threat than an occasional positive American trying to sneak back into the US through Canada.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 1:03 AM, bennybear said:

Frankly I'd be more worried about what the increase in demand for flights to Canada from those Americans returning from overseas would have on prices vs. the increased risk of exposure. 

I agree that boarding a plane when you know you have a positive test is worrisome ( mild word for what I am actually thinking. 

As for the cost, probably cheaper to do all that then to quarantine in Europe

I agree that these cases should be "flagged" but if if caught. the damage is done for follow passengers.

I am glad I am not flying to my next cruise. 

• Like 1