Back from Freedom, has anyone else found MDR food quality lacking?

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall and hear what they said about you when sending food back. No Chef ANYWHERE likes to see that. They might smile when they pick up your plate but once they pass through the opening into the kitchen it's a whole different look on their face and what they are saying under their breathe.

You can believe otherwise but think you might be wrong.

It’s not even like that on the ship. They are not taking it back to the kitchen to give back to a chef to re cook or re heat your food. They are not back there preparing meals to order. Your waiter will just dump what you didn’t want and then go to one of the various stations and ask for another meal. With as many meals they are serving they don’t have time for pettiness. They are sending out food for over a thousand people at each service not  a hundred or so like at a land based restaurant. 

Edited by bigque

We were on Allure in October of 2019 and found the food in the MDR to be MEH! Of course the specialty dining venues were better but not THAT much better. We are sailing on the Wonder in 2023 and hoping for the best.

But we are not particular about our food so we were okay.

6 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I would be afraid to get a replacement dinner, I would just get up and go somewhere else. Not sure they like complainer's and no idea what you would get in the next dish? 😲

The main dining room wait staff REALLY want to replace the dinner.  I've never had a problem at all.  I find I have an entrée that's under or overcooked about every other cruise, so it's not a real habit. 

Hello,

Currently on Anthem - have been for two weeks. I think they have hundreds of tins of powdered instant mashed potato mix left over from the pandemic. Nearly every dish comes with some sort of mash - creamed; garlic & savoury. Not one instance of either roasted or sauteed potatoes.

Also 'sauteed' vegetables were either boiled or steamed and had never been near a saute pan.

Last night's 'mixed" vegetables were the peas and small carrot cubes found in supermarket tins.

Close inspection of the 'croissants' show them to be plain white bread rolls in the shape of a croissant.

Regards,

Cublet.

Edited by cublet
spelling
  • Haha 1

On 5/26/2022 at 10:54 PM, Jimbo said:

Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall and hear what they said about you when sending food back. No Chef ANYWHERE likes to see that. They might smile when they pick up your plate but once they pass through the opening into the kitchen it's a whole different look on their face and what they are saying under their breathe.

You can believe otherwise but think you might be wrong.

You are right. Kitchens have their own rules.

Hello,

The basic problems are:

Shortage of staff;

The time taken to recruit, test and isolate new starters.

Training is a luxury RCI cannot afford.

Next week Anthem is due to sail at full capacity so hang-on for a bumpy ride.

Regards,

Cublet

2 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

The basic problems are:

Shortage of staff;

The time taken to recruit, test and isolate new starters.

Training is a luxury RCI cannot afford.

Next week Anthem is due to sail at full capacity so hang-on for a bumpy ride.

Regards,

Cublet

Half term !! Are you on board?

15 hours ago, baelor said:

🤢🤮

Hello,

This (changeover day) morning's breakfast, the bacon was so undercooked I'm sure I heard it say "Oink".

Regards,

Cublet

We just got off Adventure OTS this past Friday and we ate in the MDR 4 out of 5 nights.  Compared to our previous sailing on Echantment OTS in January where we ate in the MDR every night the food was definitely not as good.  I am not saying it was awful or anything, but the quality difference was noticeable.  With that said it was still better than the windjammer and we refuse to eat at any 'specialty' dining venues.

We were on Liberty in May and the MDR was the only issue I did notice.  In Chops, the large shrimp are used in the shrimp cocktail.  In the MDR, it is now the mini shrimp (just because someone commented on that).  Compared to our cruises before covid, the MDR food was just ok.  It seemed like they were short staffed in the kitchen because the quality of the food went down.  However, as someone pointed out, there are lots of places to get food on the ship and that was not a huge issue for us.  Based on short staffing reviews, we expected much more significant issues and we were grateful we didn't have them.  For example, our stateroom attendant had 20 rooms and treated us like the only one.  The staff, in general, worked very hard to cover any short staffing.  Food in Chops was very good so we ate several nights there.