CONCERNED!!

capegirl

7 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

The visibility of the HD sometimes depends of the personality. In December 2019 before COVID our hotel director on the, then “new” Azamara Pursuit, a lady who was fairly new to Azamara, was not very approachable and/or visible. I think her name was Elizabeth.

Ivi

Elisabeth was new at the time and her initial cruises were complicated by having the assigned food and beverage manager abruptly quit right at the time Elisabeth was to 'step up' from f&b manager to her first stint as hotel director.  We were on Pursuit two or three cruises later and she had settled in by then and was able to join us and the couple we were cruising with at one of the ship's brunches.  If you cruise with her again ask her to tell you about her encounter with Placido Domingo.

• Like 3

We are due to disembark Journey tomorrow after 10 days onboard. 
The senior team have been completely invisible.There are major staffing shortages  and it shows everywhere with many “events” quietly dropped.  The Living Room, Den and Mosaic are basically being run by one staff member with very little table service. 

I’m afraid to say that for us it is nowhere near what we have experienced on previous Azamara cruises. 

• Thanks 1

The screaming, caps-lock headline of this thread has been a bit of a visual irritant for me.  However, uktraveller's post #27 is quite legitimately concerning and sadly, the headline now suits.

Just now, Keeria said:

It was Elisabeth Vogel. She certainly was not very visible on Pursuit in January 2019 and no comparison to Heike or Ryszard. She invited German speaking  passengers for a get together, but forgot to invite Swiss passengers. I never quite forgave her for that. 

Every shop I go to is looking for staff, here in Italy and in the UK. The huge mess at many airports is caused by a shortage of staff. It’s hard to get some products at the supermarket because of… a shortage of staff, to process dairy products, to drive lorries, to make all things logistical run smoothly. I’m not too surprised to learn that Azamara’s ships are a bit short of staff too!

I have read reviews of many other cruise lines with shortages of staff. This seems more like the general world situation right now, rather than something specific to Azamara, but time will tell.

• Like 13

12 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

Every shop I go to is looking for staff, here in Italy and in the UK. The huge mess at many airports is caused by a shortage of staff. It’s hard to get some products at the supermarket because of… a shortage of staff, to process dairy products, to drive lorries, to make all things logistical run smoothly. I’m not too surprised to learn that Azamara’s ships are a bit short of staff too!

I have read reviews of many other cruise lines with shortages of staff. This seems more like the general world situation right now, rather than something specific to Azamara, but time will tell.

This article proves the point, it’s a problem facing all aspects of the hospitality industry. Just because we’re ready to get back to cruising it doesn’t automatically follow that all the staff want to or will return.

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-line-temporarily-closes-two-specialty-dining-venues/72164

• Like 6

I am seeing postings that only 10-20% of passengers are wearing masks inside the ship.  If I were a prospective crew member I would be hesitant to sign or extend a contract.  Frankly, as a prospective (and already booked on 60 days of cruises this fall) passenger, I'm more than a bit hesitant to go, myself.  Isolating in a foreign city does not appeal when your expectation was for an enjoyable holiday.

Edited by marinaro44
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

I am seeing postings that only 10-20% of passengers are wearing masks inside the ship.  If I were a prospective crew member I would be hesitant to sign or extend a contract.  Frankly, as a prospective (and already booked on 60 days of cruises this fall) passenger, I'm more than a bit hesitant to go, myself.  Isolating in a foreign city does not appeal when your expectation was for an enjoyable holiday.

I’m not sure that’s exclusive to Azamara either.  Are there any lines that are still requiring masks for passengers?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lisiamc said:

I’m not sure that’s exclusive to Azamara either.  Are there any lines that are still requiring masks for passengers?

I follow Azamara and Windstar boards and that's true for both.  Crew members serve tables, tend bars, make up rooms, and all day come in contact with unmasked passengers who have been in cafes, bistros, shops, tourist venues, etc., and then return to the ship.  Difficult to socially distance for many crew positions, and from other crew on the crew decks.  No surprise if a ship is short crew.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Ryszard was certainly visible and available on our Quest cruise in February, despite having to deal with the impact on many crew members of the invasion of Ukraine.  I'm sensing an over-reaction to maiden voyage glitches affecting Onward.

We were on the Quest for 3 B2B cruises in March/April.  Ryszard was everywhere, visible everyday, very engaging.... at the gangway each morning, at the threater each night, cooking and serving dinner/dessert many days.  We detected NO CHANGE  whatsoever from the "before times."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DS said:

We were on the Quest for 3 B2B cruises in March/April.  Ryszard was everywhere, visible everyday, very engaging.... at the gangway each morning, at the threater each night, cooking and serving dinner/dessert many days.  We detected NO CHANGE  whatsoever from the "before times."

Which is the 'take-away' I got from Gary Bembridge's video review in the link above.

No reason for CONCERN!!  Looking forward to our cruise on Journey in October, and expecting it to match our AzAmazing experiences on prior cruises.

• Like 7

So it appears that Gary's suggestion it is probably new crew who haven't quite reached the Azamara service level is why we're getting differing reports/opinions.  I wish Ryszard had been on our December Quest sailing. I don't even know who the HD was; she was never visible.

• Like 1

To be honest Ryzard was HD on our last cruise where the standards were lacking. One person cannot recover a situation where supervisors (and they were the issue) aren’t up to the task. It’s a training issue that takes time and is in part that well known issue, how to change from being one of the gang to exerting authority on the gang. This is an area many organisations focus on when promoting operatives but Azamara in their rush to expand and get back to service has overlooked. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...