LIVE: Zaandam 6/4 - 6/11, Montreal - Boston

nyold

@nyold

How do you post the menus?  Is it possible to download them from Navigator or forward them to an email or whatsapp?

The reason I ask is that if I open a menu in Navigator and select the 'send to', then the whole thing falls apart.  An email attempt reports 'unable to attach file';  if I select 'upload to photos' then nothing seems to happen.

What is your secret method?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

@nyold

How do you post the menus?  Is it possible to download them from Navigator or forward them to an email or whatsapp?

The reason I ask is that if I open a menu in Navigator and select the 'send to', then the whole thing falls apart.  An email attempt reports 'unable to attach file';  if I select 'upload to photos' then nothing seems to happen.

I usually make a print screen and send em either by mail or IMessage to someone back home would love to have the same choices for his dinner….

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

I usually make a print screen and send em either by mail or IMessage to someone back home would love to have the same choices for his dinner….

Just testing!

Screenshot_20220608-184456_EBookDroid.thumb.jpg.4c9617ad52167ced92d8f3fa0362817f.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

@nyold

Half the time I view it from the app and then click "fullscreen" and take a screenshot that way.

The other half, I am in the actual MDR and then take a picture with my phone. I am using Samsung S21, and there is an option to "scan" a document so they remove parts that are outside of the menu. 

The first method usually turns out better unless I really want to showcase the particular font/layout of today's menu

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lakedweller64 said:

What has the temperature been like, both on the ship & at the ports? Do we need warmer clothes versus more summery ones?

Oh hmm it is colder than I thought. Definitely bring a windbreaker. It was 50s but windy. Even on the ship it can be very windy. DW was complaining that the lounges run colder than "comfy" so she brought a throw anywhere on the ship.

On the lido deck, next to where you would get free towels, they provide free blankets/throws.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nyold said:

afternoon tea

Is that a single scone pre-split with clotted cream (?) and jam applied?  If so.....humm.  The other selections appear very good.  

I am glad that you did enjoy some PEI Mussels.  I have tasted none others that are any better.  The mussels from New Zealand and Australia are excellent, but, somehow, PEI's are just a bit better.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nyold said:

They were all very good, again I might be spoiled by the fine dining scene of NY and Boston, but in all fairness these were very good. 

Dayton is not known for its fine dining scene (although it did have a restaurant called King Cole that was nationally rated), but we do have some fine dining establishments including Fleming's.  

My experience with my local Fleming's as well as with Pinnacle Grill is much the same.  Sometimes, it's excellent.  Most of the time, it is a very dinner.  But, was it worth the cost?  (Particularly with Fleming's when everything is ala carte.)  And, there is that PG dinner that really disappointed.  I have not had that experience at Fleming's.

For me, PG is a gamble.  Inconsistent because it depends on who the Chef is and how engaged the Manager of the restaurant is.  On recent cruises, the only truly consistently excellent specialty dining restaurant experience that I have had is at Rudi's Sel de Mer.  And, even in the pop-up versions.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Is that a single scone pre-split with clotted cream (?) and jam applied?  If so.....humm.  The other selections appear very good.  

Humm is the right reaction lol. It was small and dry. I only nibbled at each snack because we were still full from lunch, but the ambiance was good, calming and relaxing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Dayton is not known for its fine dining scene (although it did have a restaurant called King Cole that was nationally rated), but we do have some fine dining establishments including Fleming's.  

My experience with my local Fleming's as well as with Pinnacle Grill is much the same.  Sometimes, it's excellent.  Most of the time, it is a very dinner.  But, was it worth the cost?  (Particularly with Fleming's when everything is ala carte.)  And, there is that PG dinner that really disappointed.  I have not had that experience at Fleming's.

For me, PG is a gamble.  Inconsistent because it depends on who the Chef is and how engaged the Manager of the restaurant is.  On recent cruises, the only truly consistently excellent specialty dining restaurant experience that I have had is at Rudi's Sel de Mer.  And, even in the pop-up versions.  

Ok thanks for the info. Yeah PG last night was pretty good (not excellent), but if I were to get a terrible experience after paying that much I'd be really mad too. Thing is, MDR has consistently delivered for me and that is included with the cruise fare.

• Like 2

Dinner tonight. Salmon trio (very good!), spring roll, and french onion soup. Cobia and lamb shank. It was my first time eating cobia, I like it, very firm but not as flaky. Lamb was tender. Passion fruit cake and sunday.

Also a painting in a stair landing that I thought was cool.

Screenshot_20220608-224859_Samsung Notes.jpg

Screenshot_20220608-224908_Samsung Notes.jpg

20220608_202233.jpg

20220608_202238.jpg

20220608_202245.jpg

20220608_204345.jpg

20220608_204347.jpg

20220608_204352.jpg

20220608_211707.jpg

20220608_211712.jpg

20220608_211718.jpg

20220608_200015.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, nyold said:

Mix bar tonight. Someone asked about her name. Uhh I couldnt really make out the name but it sounded like Claire V or Clara V. She is good...

Its Clara Vee. She was on the Konigsdam when we sailed in January. She is fantastic. She has some originals which she will do sometimes if you request them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, surfone said:

How is the Ocean Bar Band?  Variety music?  Is the happy hour only for mixed drinks,  I assume no beer is on happy hour.

I was happy to see this band on the program.  We used to dance to them - a feature that has apparently been phased out on larger HAL ships?  

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your reports and pictures. We are boarding in a month for the 35 day VOV and then staying aboard for two more weeks to travel up and back to Canada with friends. Hate to spoil a very pleasant report but I am wondering how they are handling covid cases on board. Is there a specific section of quarantine cabins or are they allowing folks to simply quarantine in place? Any announcements or restrictions or are they taking the "nothing to see here" tack? Thanks

• Like 1

6 hours ago, surfone said:

How is the Ocean Bar Band?  Variety music?  Is the happy hour only for mixed drinks,  I assume no beer is on happy hour.

Sorry I cant comment on the band that much. On the few times I pass by, they sounded good but I dont usually stay there for long. 

And I also dont know about the happy hour rules as we have a drink package so we never really used the discounts

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ew101 said:

I was happy to see this band on the program.  We used to dance to them - a feature that has apparently been phased out on larger HAL ships?  

Definitely dancing to this band is a thing here. DW is pretty shy so we dont do that a lot lol but I see many couples do

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fred321 said:

Thanks so much for your reports and pictures. We are boarding in a month for the 35 day VOV and then staying aboard for two more weeks to travel up and back to Canada with friends. Hate to spoil a very pleasant report but I am wondering how they are handling covid cases on board. Is there a specific section of quarantine cabins or are they allowing folks to simply quarantine in place? Any announcements or restrictions or are they taking the "nothing to see here" tack? Thanks

Oh hmm I actually have not heard anything re: covid cases, so most likely it is the "nothing to see" approach. If there is a covid section, I have not seen it. My guess would be on deck 1, because we are on deck 2 and we havent seen a "roped off" section on this deck.

• Thanks 1

7 am abs class absolutely killed me. Mad respect for the manager who could do it while counting. I was barely conscious.

Last night was so rocky, I heard loud noises from the hallway and our bathroom shower opened too. It was also super foggy going into Halifax. The image below was when the boat was MOVING. I cant imagine how the captain was able to see anything.

MDR breakfast today. Eggs benedict, corned beef hash. Passion fruit yogurt and quinoa bowl. The eggs benedict were great, and passion fruit yogurt also good (which is a repeat from room service the other day). The quinoa bowl was too healthy for me 🙃

20220609_083950.jpg

20220609_084001.jpg

20220609_092348.jpg

20220609_092351.jpg

20220609_092356.jpg

20220609_091034.jpg

20220609_091031.jpg

20220609_072545.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3