Return to US Covid Test

duquephart

It’s really hard to know exactly what or why someone gets Covid, and someone doesn’t.  

A few weeks ago, I was exposed to my (unvaccinated) sister who had an active case of Covid.  She tested positive and wasn’t feeling well.  We spent about 48 hours together eating, drinking and talking.  Both DH and I are vaccinated and boosted.  Both of us figured if we were going to get it, it would be here.  It has been 5 months since we were boosted.  Nothing.  We did isolate from people on the off chance we could carry it to more vulnerable people, but both of us remained well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

It’s really hard to know exactly what or why someone gets Covid, and someone doesn’t.

Definitely. DH got it at the very beginning (he works in a hospital). He didn’t isolate from me at home (except for sleeping), and this was when they were telling us not to wear masks so there weren’t any around. I didn’t get it from him. Who knows why?

Two years later, last month we both attend a bunch of events with the same people, and about 30 of us got Covid, including me. Not DH.

Then DH doesn’t isolate from me at all, including bed (his choice), and he still doesn’t get it. We are both vaccinated and boosted (along with nearly all 30 of the rest of our friends), so I imagine his additional natural immunity is what protected him. 

I wonder how many people have developed natural immunity without ever knowing they had Covid. 

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 1

Contrary to all of this, I know a number of people who have no underlying health conditions who've had it a number of times. My brother has had it twice since Christmas. The Omicron variants are super contagious. All were multi vaccinated, we don't know a single soul who is unvaccinated, all displayed varying symptoms. Some were very ill indeed, some far less so. 

We both contracted it on the flight home from Barcelona two weeks ago and we've both been very unwell indeed. I was given antivirals and am now feeling improved, my husband who is a very fit and well man was very unwell, can't shake it off, and is still testing positive after ten days.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rizello said:

Helps those on post cruises but still have the dreaded Viking walk the plank problems.  We will see what Vikings responses are.  Most likely nothing will change.  They spent too much on testing equipment (ocean)

19 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

Maybe this will cause Viking to only test every other day.

I see no reason to do any more testing at all.  Most of the countries have eliminated all restrictions and now the US has removed the re-entry restrictions. Not sure the reason to continue any testing.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, rizello said:

I see no reason to do any more testing at all.  Most of the countries have eliminated all restrictions and now the US has removed the re-entry restrictions. Not sure the reason to continue any testing.

Agree. Now, the only requirements on our upcoming trip are those of Viking. There is no reason to continue testing.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SailorPaulH said:

Agree. Now, the only requirements on our upcoming trip are those of Viking. There is no reason to continue testing.

Agree!  I think even more people will cancel/bail on Viking this summer because of their testing policies.  It is interesting that people who proclaim to be for testing say they like that Viking "keeps them safe", yet that now would be so far from the truth.  Even Viking effectively enables the passing of COVID by not enforcing masking onboard, by allowing people to gather together at bars and eating, by allowing people to go maskless on excursions, and by allowing people to wander around on their own in ports and mingle with locals.  Not sure how Viking is keeping people "safe" then.  Kind of duplicitous in my opinion.

But their ship, their rules.  We'll just have to see how they respond since the majority of their passengers are from USA. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Agree!  I think even more people will cancel/bail on Viking this summer because of their testing policies.  It is interesting that people who proclaim to be for testing say they like that Viking "keeps them safe", yet that now would be so far from the truth.  Even Viking effectively enables the passing of COVID by not enforcing masking onboard, by allowing people to gather together at bars and eating, by allowing people to go maskless on excursions, and by allowing people to wander around on their own in ports and mingle with locals.  Not sure how Viking is keeping people "safe" then.  Kind of duplicitous in my opinion.

But their ship, their rules.  We'll just have to see how they respond since the majority of their passengers are from USA. 

How many readers have already checked their MVJ to see if there was a change in the policies? LOL.

The testing policy is based on the notion that the virus can be prevented - it's endemic, so that cannot be true. Viking cannot eliminate the potential for exposure, and I agree that the activities of a normal day of VOC cruising that you mentioned mean exposure is very possible. This week I went to a number of my work locations, a supermarket and a department store - all with more potential for exposure than a Viking ship or a Norwegian mountain-top, and I did not have to do daily tests to perform those functions.

• Like 4

I don't expect them to end testing to get on the ship anytime soon.  I can live with that because if I test positive before I leave, I just stay home.  The nightmare scenario is testing positive in a foreign country and being unable to fly home for days or weeks.  Especially if you have no symptoms but continue to test positive.  

• Like 3

On 6/10/2022 at 9:01 AM, basenji56 said:

Maybe this will cause Viking to only test every other day.

Having just ended a land tour with 10 positive cases, I’d vote for leaving Viking testing as it is, but our next 2. Viking cruises are more than a year away.