Advice re: final payment issue

ChiGal1962

I booked a cruise to Alaska in August to use up most of my last pandemic-related FCC as it was supposed to expire at the end of the year. Final payment was due May 31st. 

Last weekend (on May 29), I called to take advantage of the Memorial Day sale. In a 5 minute call, my price was reduced by $75 and I received an additional $125 OBC. Awesome. Later that day, I went online and paid the rest of my balance due and received an confirmation that my cruise was paid in full

Apparently, on June 1st, I received an email from Celebrity that I had a balance due of $74.50. I didn't see the email until today. The invoice that was included showed all of the same information as the May 29th confirmation, except that the amount paid was reduced by $74.50 and that was shown as an outstanding balance. It is now past final payment date, so I'm concerned, to say the least. I called Celebrity this morning and after 95 minutes on hold, I gave up. Tried again just now, and it's 36 minutes and counting on hold. Not really how I want to spend my Friday night 🙂

Trying to decide if I should just pay the $74.50 now and try to sort it out later or take a chance and try to call again on Sunday. Frankly, I'd just as soon cancel the whole thing now that FCC doesn't expire, but I've also already bought my airfare, so I'm rather stuck. Which also means I really don't want them to resell my cabin! 

Thoughts? 

5 minutes ago, ChiGal1962 said:

I booked a cruise to Alaska in August to use up most of my last pandemic-related FCC as it was supposed to expire at the end of the year. Final payment was due May 31st. 

Last weekend (on May 29), I called to take advantage of the Memorial Day sale. In a 5 minute call, my price was reduced by $75 and I received an additional $125 OBC. Awesome. Later that day, I went online and paid the rest of my balance due and received an confirmation that my cruise was paid in full

Apparently, on June 1st, I received an email from Celebrity that I had a balance due of $74.50. I didn't see the email until today. The invoice that was included showed all of the same information as the May 29th confirmation, except that the amount paid was reduced by $74.50 and that was shown as an outstanding balance. It is now past final payment date, so I'm concerned, to say the least. I called Celebrity this morning and after 95 minutes on hold, I gave up. Tried again just now, and it's 36 minutes and counting on hold. Not really how I want to spend my Friday night 🙂

Trying to decide if I should just pay the $74.50 now and try to sort it out later or take a chance and try to call again on Sunday. Frankly, I'd just as soon cancel the whole thing now that FCC doesn't expire, but I've also already bought my airfare, so I'm rather stuck. Which also means I really don't want them to resell my cabin! 

Thoughts? 

You didn't indicate if you booked with Celebrity or with an Agent.

If with an agent they should sort it out for you.   If Celebrity give them a call and discuss and also ask them about cancellation.    Not sure if you booked after the Cruise With Confidence cut offs.   If still covered by Cruise with Confidence you could cancel up to 48 hours prior to sailing.   Also make sure you understand if there are any penalties if you happen to have a NR deposit.

10 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You didn't indicate if you booked with Celebrity or with an Agent.

If with an agent they should sort it out for you.   If Celebrity give them a call and discuss and also ask them about cancellation.    Not sure if you booked after the Cruise With Confidence cut offs.   If still covered by Cruise with Confidence you could cancel up to 48 hours prior to sailing.   Also make sure you understand if there are any penalties if you happen to have a NR deposit.

I booked directly with Celebrity, and it was after CWC ended. Plus, with airfare already booked, I'm happy to go. Just don't know why/if I really owe this extra $75. I've been trying to call, but they aren't picking up (still on hold at over 1 hour this time). 

1 hour ago, ChiGal1962 said:

I booked directly with Celebrity, and it was after CWC ended. Plus, with airfare already booked, I'm happy to go. Just don't know why/if I really owe this extra $75. I've been trying to call, but they aren't picking up (still on hold at over 1 hour this time). 

I would look up my latest confirmation and compare that to the payments I have made.  Just before our final payment for our April cruise my balance due dropped by about $300   There had been additional obc but I didn't but no true price drop - turned out my insurance had been dropped thru some glitch.  Maybe this is the same thing, a pre cruise booking, something deleted that then got added back.  Celebrity seems to have a lot of glitches in my short experience   I would certainly double check it but maybe make a credit card payment that can be disputed. 

2 hours ago, ChiGal1962 said:

The problem is likely that the price reduction does not usually hit your account for 7-10 days.  

Since the amount is small I would wait and sort it out on board.  Not worth waiting vfor hours on the phone.

This type of thing has happened to me in the past.  In the old days I could reach Celebrity Captain's club pretty quickly.  Wait times now are very hit and miss.  If you are stressed about it and worried about cruise cancellation- then just pay it.  Sort it out later or have $75 credit in your on-board cruise account.