COVID Testing for Aussies and Kiwis on Transpacific (Or any US Port)

On 6/6/2022 at 12:47 AM, Chiliburn said:

I think it’s a 50% chance the ships will come empty.

They are probably just waiting to see how things turn out.

Its 2.5 week trip and could you imagine the bad publicity if a big ship like ovation arrived in Sydney with a bad dose of Covid onboard.

Its still happening in the Caribbean.

HAL's Noordam and Westerdam are arriving here loaded with pax from USA/Canada. Not all empty like Coral Princess etc. I worry what those loaded ships will bring with them, disease wise.

35 minutes ago, NSWP said:

HAL's Noordam and Westerdam are arriving here loaded with pax from USA/Canada. Not all empty like Coral Princess etc. I worry what those loaded ships will bring with them, disease wise.

The ships are more worried. If the passengers are required to test, they will get a true number of infections aboard after a long crossing.

41 minutes ago, SuitesRbest said:

No more pre flight testing to enter the USA has been announced.

That’s one obstacle out the way for out transpacific, be interesting to see if this has a knock on affect for cruises out of US ports? Although in Europe were they have dropped the testing for those on flights already, some cruise still require the supervised COVID testing before boarding.

7 minutes ago, arxcards said:

The ships are more worried. If the passengers are required to test, they will get a true number of infections aboard after a long crossing.

Indeed Geoff, good point. If heavily infected they might be 'turned around by the NSW/Qld Governments. That would have a huge impact on cruising downunder, in a few months time.

47 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Maybe a good reason to keep the supervised tests in place prior to boarding, even if airlines and governments drop it? At least it wil reduce the risk of anyone boarding having picked up the virus.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hammer61 said:

Maybe a good reason to keep the supervised tests in place prior to boarding, even if airlines and governments drop it? At least it wil reduce the risk of anyone boarding having picked up the virus.

Spot on there.

We will be using these to board our cruise in Norway, same as the emed tests for US citizens but Australian based and you just need a test that has TGA approval. $40aud better than $200 it was going to cost in Norway!

https://virtualrapidtests.com.au/?gclid=CjwKCAjw14uVBhBEEiwAaufYxwz-I0rp5cVz344FzWsdgysaDNREP-H_HsNljl10HsMujVVwACb8YxoCmeoQAvD_BwE

29 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

We will be using these to board our cruise in Norway, same as the emed tests for US citizens but Australian based and you just need a test that has TGA approval. $40aud better than $200 it was going to cost in Norway!

https://virtualrapidtests.com.au/?gclid=CjwKCAjw14uVBhBEEiwAaufYxwz-I0rp5cVz344FzWsdgysaDNREP-H_HsNljl10HsMujVVwACb8YxoCmeoQAvD_BwE

What is the difference between those and the RATs that are widely available here? Are these TGA approved and ours not?

29 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

Thanks for that info, have made a note of this, and if still required come October, much more reasonable than what the US seems to offer, just need to confirm if RCI will accept it, then do the test from our Hawaii hotel room.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

What is the difference between those and the RATs that are widely available here? Are these TGA approved and ours not?

No it’s the same but you are paying for a proctored (a video call) and they provide results with details for travelers (passport details  etc).

as we will be boarding our cruise in Norway it works out cheaper buying before we go, we will book our time take the test with us overseas and then  take the test in Norway, they will email the results in the correct format so we can board the ship. 
so for anyone boarding in Hawaii they can arrange these prior to them going and do it while in Hawaii as long as you have a good internet connection.

12 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

No it’s the same but you are paying for a proctored (a video call) and they provide results with details for travelers (passport details  etc).

as we will be boarding our cruise in Norway it works out cheaper buying before we go, we will book our time take the test with us overseas and then  take the test in Norway, they will email the results in the correct format so we can board the ship. 
so for anyone boarding in Hawaii they can arrange these prior to them going and do it while in Hawaii as long as you have a good internet connection.

I see what you mean.

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

Plenty of virus going around here and dropping of flies too. Check out where we are now compared to twelve months ago.

Australia COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 6:43 PM, Hammer61 said:

Noted! thanks for the tip....👍

LOL, Now that would be something to get frustrated about?? but notice they are still selling both cruises, but maybe someone at RCI needs to book the ships in 😄

On 6/11/2022 at 11:28 AM, SuitesRbest said:

No more pre flight testing to enter the USA has been announced.

It looks like some port bookings now for Ovation and Quantum there in Hawaii for the trans pacific.

• Thanks 1

Looks like now the COVID testing has been scrapped by the US government on passengers arriving by Air the trade association representing most of the major Cruise lines are now pushing for testing to be scrapped for passengers embarking cruise ships as well!

Apparently they have been doing this voluntarily and it’s NOT a legal requirement! More to keep the CDC on side and follow their guidelines, there is doubt they will drop the testing without CDC approval but interesting all the same that testing isn’t a mandatory requirement from the US government which i for one thought it was?

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/cruise-lines-call-for-cdc-to-change-covid-testing-policy

3 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

Looks like now the COVID testing has been scrapped by the US government on passengers arriving by Air the trade association representing most of the major Cruise lines are now pushing for testing to be scrapped for passengers embarking cruise ships as well!

Apparently they have been doing this voluntarily and it’s NOT a legal requirement! More to keep the CDC on side and follow their guidelines, there is doubt they will drop the testing without CDC approval but interesting all the same that testing isn’t a mandatory requirement from the US government which i for one thought it was?

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/cruise-lines-call-for-cdc-to-change-covid-testing-policy

If you are spending any pre-cruise time in the US, including Hawaii, it has just moved the goal posts.

Now you have no chance of being prevented from flying, but that is also the case for everyone else on the flight. Several hours of shared air on a flight to Hawaii would have meant an miniscule risk with pre-flight testing. Now there is a higher chance of catching it en route, so I would be keen to get on the cruise within a couple of days before I can be infectious enough to provide a positive test.

All ships have chosen to follow the CDC protocols. As you are unlikely to be insured on a "grey" status ship, I think it is unlikely that any of the lines are likely to break away from the CDC protocols any time soon. 85 of their 93 ships are at orange status despite pre-cruise testing, so I can't see CDC shifting their pre-test requirement anytime soon.

• Like 1

Viking has said they no longer require testing before boarding, so maybe just a matter of time before others follow?

BUT............

It will still depend on the requirements of the destination country if their is one......OR countries called at or part of an itinery.............

So a bit of a mine field and could change on a regular basis, also not sure the big cruise companies will want the extra hassle of different requirements that could change overnight for each ship depending on sailing, maybe easier for them to leave it as is, one rule for all?

On 6/13/2022 at 8:22 AM, Hammer61 said:

I doubt you will have to test before you board, just a few questions.

From today, you no longer need a covid test prior to arriving in NSW. This includes cruise ships coming from overseas.

From NSW Govt.

From 21 June 2022 it is no longer mandatory for international travellers to follow certain rules including taking  a COVID-19 test upon arrival in NSW. 

COVID-19 information for international arrivals | NSW Government

On 6/15/2022 at 4:27 PM, NSWP said:

As an aside, apparently mask mandate at Aussie Airports is finished Saturday, still required on aircraft though.

They are also still required in cruise terminals, at least for now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

From today, you no longer need a covid test prior to arriving in NSW. This includes cruise ships coming from overseas.

From NSW Govt.

From 21 June 2022 it is no longer mandatory for international travellers to follow certain rules including taking  a COVID-19 test upon arrival in NSW. 

COVID-19 information for international arrivals | NSW Government

Oh dear, I hope the ships arriving here from The Land of Tipping, laden with passengers do not bring the lurgy with them. But I fear they will.

Edited by NSWP

21 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Oh dear, I hope the ships arriving here from The Land of Tipping, laden with passengers do not bring the lurgy with them. But I fear they will.

My advice was not to join a ship relocating south from the northern winter (with new flu version),  Hopefully there will be less flu from northern summer.  Doesn't apply to Covid though.

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

My advice was not to join a ship relocating south from the northern winter (with new flu version),  Hopefully there will be less flu from northern summer.  Doesn't apply to Covid though.

I will be on Westerdam 23 November, not long after she arrives here, fully laden from Seattle.  The lurgy will be on board for sure.😷

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

I will be on Westerdam 23 November, not long after she arrives here, fully laden from Seattle.  The lurgy will be on board for sure.😷

Yes we will be on the Grand after she gets here from USA.  She calls in Sydney first then 2 days down to Melb.  Lurgy will still be aboard I think.  Oh well - what will be will be.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

Looks like you'll be disembarking just before I'm boarding. I've had my flu and pneumonia shots as well as four COVIDS but I'll still be masking up.