Escape 10-2-2022 Just cancelled!

hurley7

Just now, chengkp75 said:

According to statutory timelines, the Escape should have done her "mid-term" (half way between 5 year drydocks) underwater inspection this year.  Because of the damage done in the grounding, the class society is obviously not going to allow just an underwater survey in lieu of drydocking, so to dock it is.  I won't make comments on customer service, never have, not my wheelhouse, but yes, a drydock  slot, especially when NCL was not considering it until after the grounding repairs required it, could come up suddenly, as other ships' plans change and space becomes available.  

This would be a smoke or fire detector in the azipod space, which could mean a burning of a motor, or the azimuthing brakes (I believe it was RCI's Quantum that burned out the azimuth brakes during a storm), but the emergency turn would not have caused this, it would be a malfunction.  These are not drydocking repairs, but along with the hull damage, it might account for some of the timeline, as 4 weeks seems a bit long.

Thank you!  I was hoping you would reply since I have followed your technical expertise on this board for a long time.
I was only quoting what I observed & recorded in my diary as a non technical person.
We did proceed at slower than normal speed toward Athens which I assumed was because there was no need to rush or maybe they were testing how much the engines/hull/other stuff could manage?  
After Athens we proceeded at normal speed.  

I am wondering how, or if this will impact my cruise. We are booked from 9/2-9/12 and have not received a cancellation letter. According to the letter in this thread and multiple news articles, she is going into dry dock on 9/8? Or She is not available to book after 9/8? If so, why didn't they say the actual date she'd go to dry dock instead of picking a date in the middle of a cruise not yet canceled lol?

Have read of ongoing issues since the last repair and am concerned we might not get canceled now but that it may happen closer to the sail date.

Considering we're in the US, this cut-off is too close for comfort I think if we were to get canceled right before the sail date. Obviously, I can't control it.... just sharing out loud I guess.

I understand the issue and would be disappointed, but I would rather know now. I will call NCL tomorrow when they open but as of right now my cruise shows active and available to book.

I am sorry for everyone who has been canceled. Although I have cruised many times, about 15 years ago I said this is what I wanted to do for my milestone birthday, and i feel we'll be canceled, so I understand the disappointment

On 6/6/2022 at 2:46 PM, hurley7 said:
0?ui=2&ik=39d19d5d28&attid=0.2&permmsgid

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners: 

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), we thank you for your loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice. We have important information regarding Norwegian Escape voyages from September 8, 2022, through and including October 2, 2022. Travel partners should share the below information with guests who may be affected.  

As a result of a required ship dry-dock, all voyages on Norwegian Escape from September 8, 2022, through and including October 2, 2022, have been canceled. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

A full monetary refund of the fare paid will be automatically returned to the form of payment provided at the time of reservation. No further action is required; your refund will be automatically processed within 30 business days. You will see the refund returned to the original form of payment in seven to 10 business days from the processed date. The visibility of the funds is dependent on each financial institution's internal policies. 

For those reservations paid via a previously issued Future Cruise Credit (FCC), 100% of the FCC used will be automatically re-applied to your Latitudes account. No further action is required; the FCC will be automatically added to the account within seven days of the cancelation date. 

To further compensate you for this change, we have also issued a 10% discount in the form of an FCC for a future voyage. This credit may be used through June 13, 2023 and can be applied towards any of our published sailings through June 13, 2023. The FCC will be available on June 13, 2022. 

If you are interested in selecting another sailing for your upcoming vacation, please contact us at 1-800-327-7030 or your travel professional. Guests residing outside of the U.S. or Canada should visit www.ncl.com for local contact information. 

We sincerely appreciate your understanding and look forward to welcoming you aboard very soon. 

Sincerely,

Katty Byrd
Senior Vice President, Guest Services 

Her name is Katty Bird?    🤣

On 6/7/2022 at 9:53 PM, gotscrapz said:

I am wondering how, or if this will impact my cruise. We are booked from 9/2-9/12 and have not received a cancellation letter. According to the letter in this thread and multiple news articles, she is going into dry dock on 9/8? Or She is not available to book after 9/8? If so, why didn't they say the actual date she'd go to dry dock instead of picking a date in the middle of a cruise not yet canceled lol?

Have read of ongoing issues since the last repair and am concerned we might not get canceled now but that it may happen closer to the sail date.

Considering we're in the US, this cut-off is too close for comfort I think if we were to get canceled right before the sail date. Obviously, I can't control it.... just sharing out loud I guess.

I understand the issue and would be disappointed, but I would rather know now. I will call NCL tomorrow when they open but as of right now my cruise shows active and available to book.

I am sorry for everyone who has been canceled. Although I have cruised many times, about 15 years ago I said this is what I wanted to do for my milestone birthday, and i feel we'll be canceled, so I understand the disappointment

Mine, the October 2nd cancelled cruise, is still on my cruise planner and still showing shore excursions for booking, offers to upgrade drink packages etc even though I’ve received the cancellation letter. Yesterday I got an email about tender procedures in Santorini🙄. They don’t have a clue what they’re doing. 

My email to Katty Byrd et al did seem to inspire some form of outreach. Now they’ve offered to hold space on Gem for us without payment till our refund arrives. Should have been part of the original offer but, too little, too late. All of our group’s cabins have been rebooked on Odyssey of the Seas. Sayonara. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Joshgrobanfan said:

I am booked on the transatlantic on November 1st on the Escape. These cancellations make me nervous about the sea worthiness of the ship and the possible cancellation of my cruise.

Worried about the seaworthiness AFTER the dry dock?  If anything that's the BEST time to be on the ship as they've just gone over everything!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Joshgrobanfan said:

I am booked on the transatlantic on November 1st on the Escape. These cancellations make me nervous about the sea worthiness of the ship and the possible cancellation of my cruise.

Here's what I wrote in another thread about this.

The ship is completely seaworthy at the present time, and will be completely seaworthy after the drydock.  The regulatory bodies won't let a ship go to sea that is unsafe.

Knowing that there is a TA scheduled for 11/1, explains why they decided to dock earlier than required by statute, as there are extremely limited drydocks in North America to take the Escape.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2

The FCC we used to book this cruise is now back in our account BUT it states that we have to use it by December of this year! I thought we had until June 2023 to use it?! Is anyone else seeing the same thing? Typo on their end? 

On 6/10/2022 at 7:10 AM, HBCcruiser said:

The FCC we used to book this cruise is now back in our account BUT it states that we have to use it by December of this year! I thought we had until June 2023 to use it?! Is anyone else seeing the same thing? Typo on their end? 

Mine says 6/13/2023. Btw I’m very impressed. All of our cabins have received our full refunds today including any extras purchased. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got our cancellation email, it mentioned nothing about a dry dock but indicated that "We have made the decision to alter Norwegian Escape's deployment to offer an even more immersive vacation experience for our guests".  Our sailing was 4/16/23 - 4/23/23 out of Miami.

12 minutes ago, TrpngBilly said:

Just got our cancellation email, it mentioned nothing about a dry dock but indicated that "We have made the decision to alter Norwegian Escape's deployment to offer an even more immersive vacation experience for our guests".  Our sailing was 4/16/23 - 4/23/23 out of Miami.

That's because your cruise wasn't during the dry dock happening in October that this thread was discussing.  It seems that ship has no cruise that week, I wonder if this is a new way of advising of the ship being chartered?