drink package

JohnnyPro44

hello I'm thinking of taking the sept 3 cruise out of Vancouver and they are including the drink package but I hear there is a 15 drink limit I can easily drink 15 on a sea day are they really strict on this or would I be able to buy some after my 15 thanks for any help I've cruised on celebrity and royal both have no limit thanks again

If you know you will go over 15 drinks and if some of them are non alcoholic (like water, specialty coffee, etc.), I recommend you buy a beverage card and use it for the “cheap” drinks so you don’t go over for the more expensive ones later on in the day.

Also, on port days, you probably won’t hit 15 drinks on board.  On those days, you could stock up on water/soft drinks to drink on the sea days.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JohnnyPro44 said:

Thanks what do you mean by cheap drinks is that non alcoholic ones thanks again 

Yes, specialty coffees (without liquor), water, soda, etc.

Actually IIRC, mimosas are pretty cheap in the morning if you like those.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nukesquad said:

wow, there's a charge for water?

Only the specialty water now served in metal cans I believe (used to be bottled water).  Water out of the tap or on the table is free of course and perfectly safe.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JohnnyPro44 said:

thanks for all your help I was told that I could not buy any more alcohol drinks after my 15 I would have no problem paying as I wouldn't have much more but I want the option thanks again for all info

Unless you are cut off by the staff (pretty rare) then you can pay for additional drinks - no problem.  You will have just have to pay regular price for them. 😉 

Yeah the staff never "declines" a purchase in the restaurant. He just scans your card and then the computer figures out if it is included or will bill it to your account.

They might say something helpful like hey this is not covered by your package do you still want it? But they cant "refuse" to serve you. That would be horrible.

The water in a can has a flavor and is infused with electrolytes. I drink 2 of these a day and the rest is from tap water or fill up my water bottle from the buffet or at the gym. The canned water counts as 1 drink. Coffee from the cafe counts as 1 drink. Coffee in the MDR or buffet is free, does not count as a drink as long as it's regular, i.e. not latte capuccino espresso. You get the idea.

There is also glass bottled water called Panna. We ordered 12 bottles of Panna and 12 water in cans for our 34 day cruise last Dec. I liked the canned water. A small bottle of sparkling water counted against your 15 drinks, the larger bottle (Pelligrino) costs extra. 

Consider upgrading from the included Signature Beverage Package to the Elite Beverage Package for $10 more per day. This gives you unlimited soda, coffee and personal bottles of water (but not 32 oz bottles) plus 15 alcoholic drinks priced up to $15 each (instead of Signature's $11 limit)

Once onboard, BEFORE YOU BUY A DRINK, ask the bar tender to upgrade your Beverage Package.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, SeeSun&Sea said:

Consider upgrading from the included Signature Beverage Package to the Elite Beverage Package for $10 more per day. This gives you unlimited soda, coffee and personal bottles of water (but not 32 oz bottles) plus 15 alcoholic drinks priced up to $15 each (instead of Signature's $11 limit)

Once onboard, BEFORE YOU BUY A DRINK, ask the bar tender to upgrade your Beverage Package.

I can upgrade a free beverage package?  I like  that I can get the higher priced drinks, since my recollection is that HAL charges full

price if you buy something above the $11 limit, not just the amount over $11.  I never knew I could upgrade the included package!

5 hours ago, jm485 said:

I can upgrade a free beverage package?  I like  that I can get the higher priced drinks, since my recollection is that HAL charges full

price if you buy something above the $11 limit, not just the amount over $11.  I never knew I could upgrade the included package!

Some have said they had difficulty upgrading to the Elite beverage package but were able to eventually.  As was stated previously, you upgrade it onboard though a bartender before you order your first drink.  Once you order, you are locked in to the package you have.  Keep in mind that all in your cabin must upgrade the package too.  So if you have 2 in the cabin, it will run $20/day extra (plus possibly the 18% gratuity) to upgrade.

Also, neither drink package applies to Half Moon Cay.  You either buy by the drink there or purchase the HMC drink package for something like $29/person.  It includes up to 15 drinks too.

• Thanks 2

On 6/8/2022 at 7:29 AM, nyold said:

But they cant "refuse" to serve you. That would be horrible.

Yes, they can refuse to serve you if you're loud, obnoxious, combative, and/or belligerent due to alcohol consumption.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, saltshell said:

Can the free package be used on embarkation and disembarkation days?

It can on embarkation days.  The few times I had it, I never tried to use it on disembarkation day.  Accounts are usually closed at midnight.  I know you can’t use a beverage card on disembarkation day as any remaining balance has already been credited to your account.  I suspect it would be the same for the package - but I haven’t tried. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, kazu said:

It can on embarkation days.  The few times I had it, I never tried to use it on disembarkation day.  Accounts are usually closed at midnight.  I know you can’t use a beverage card on disembarkation day as any remaining balance has already been credited to your account.  I suspect it would be the same for the package - but I haven’t tried. 

I also never tried on disembarkation, but my reasoning would be, the package is usually counted by days ($10 per day or what not), and the embarkation day counts as day 1, so disembarkation day would NOT count as a day otherwise your day count will be over by 1.  That's how I reason myself to thinking that it would not work. 

For embarkation day, for SURE it can because one of my mantras is: it's not a cruise until you have a drink in hand.

And I measure ease of embarkation by: from taxi dropping you off until drink in hand. Current record: 20 mins 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roz said:

Yes, they can refuse to serve you if you're loud, obnoxious, combative, and/or belligerent due to alcohol consumption.

Oh right lol yeah that would be a good reason to refuse.

On 6/11/2022 at 12:28 PM, saltshell said:

Can the free package be used on embarkation and disembarkation days?

On Royal Caribbean I used it On disembark  day for a coffee and orange juice. 

It appears that if you now order a drink over the $11 price, you will only be charged the difference in price according to a new thread on this board - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2858901-have-it-all-and-more/#comment-63377269  

When I looked at my Navigator app I didn’t see it but it might be loading in priority - who knows?  It’s encouraging nevertheless.

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2022 at 6:48 PM, SeeSun&Sea said:

I just got off the Zaandam on Jun 4th, I was not allowed to upgrade my HIA signature package to the Elite. I tried at the Ocean bar before I had ordered a drink, the bartender call the bar manager and he said it can not be upgraded. YMMV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1