Pacific Explorer Code Yellow

NSW Health appears to have adopted the same traffic light system as the CDC has used in the US.

The ship has been deemed as yellow status from the cruise that returned this morning. I guess we can also guess that similar numbers apply to what the CDC was using. It is the first I have been alerted to, and I don't know if the first cruise was green or otherwise. If you test positive after disembarking, it doesn't link back to the ship, so that is a curious three days.

Cruising and COVID-19 | NSW Government

• Like 2

How useful can that even be though? There is an almost complete changeover of passengers between cruises, so how does one cruise impact on the next one unless it's completely run through the crew as well?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, losfp said:

How useful can that even be though? There is an almost complete changeover of passengers between cruises, so how does one cruise impact on the next one unless it's completely run through the crew as well?

Ahh, crew. I think you are onto something.

2 hours ago, Cruisegroover said:

I know of 6 people on the 31 May cruise who tested positive today.

Mask up and stay safe. I am back onboard this Saturday. I tested negative this afternoon.

We had to check, as Barb is not feeling well tonight. We don't know what she has caught, but we have both tested negative on RATs a short time ago.

6 hours ago, arxcards said:

We had to check, as Barb is not feeling well tonight. We don't know what she has caught, but we have both tested negative on RATs a short time ago.

My wife and I recently also caught "something" - but have tested negative for Covid. Frankly it wouldn't have mattered much to us if we had tested positive - except for the mandated consequences of the positive test. We are guessing that we only have a head cold - accompanied by an incessant cough, which turns us into pariahs in the community 🙂 . We have noted that our local medical clinic is FLAT OUT with customers - so there is definitely something going around. 

8 hours ago, arxcards said:

I hope it's not the flu.

Our eldest son, his wife and son have COVID plus the flu. They are quite ill. My son says it is the sickest he has ever been. They caught the double-whammy at the local hospital. They were sent there because their private pediatrician was too busy to give them a repeat prescription the child needed. After a three-hour wait they were told it couldn't be prescribed unless the boy was admitted. While there, a girl with COVID was 'parked' next to young Tommy and other children in the room were coughing. The hospital was the only place they went that day. A couple of days later, they tested positive to COVID but it soon became obvious that they had flu as well. Ten days later, the parents are still both sick. Tommy has bounced back faster. Kids always seem to.

BTW, eventually the pediatrician phoned the script through to their chemist.

34 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Our eldest son, his wife and son have COVID plus the flu. They are quite ill. My son says it is the sickest he has ever been. They caught the double-whammy at the local hospital. They were sent there because their private pediatrician was too busy to give them a repeat prescription the child needed. After a three-hour wait they were told it couldn't be prescribed unless the boy was admitted. While there, a girl with COVID was 'parked' next to young Tommy and other children in the room were coughing. The hospital was the only place they went that day. A couple of days later, they tested positive to COVID but it soon became obvious that they had flu as well. Ten days later, the parents are still both sick. Tommy has bounced back faster. Kids always seem to.

BTW, eventually the pediatrician phoned the script through to their chemist.

I'm sorry your family members are so sick after ten days.  That is such a sad, real, story.  That pediatrician should be ashamed of his lack of care towards his young patient  He could have sent the script to them and saved all this suffering.  My GP recently did that to me.

I'm wary of the flu and hospitals, as my neighbour nearly died during the last flu outbreak in hospitals.  

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

I'm sorry your family members are so sick after ten days.  That is such a sad, real, story.  That pediatrician should be ashamed of his lack of care towards his young patient  He could have sent the script to them and saved all this suffering.  My GP recently did that to me.

I'm wary of the flu and hospitals, as my neighbour nearly died during the last flu outbreak in hospitals.  

I blame the pediatrician's receptionist who wouldn't listen to reason. Her excuse was that their office was struggling to catch up with patients' appointments as they had been flooded twice this year. However, I don't think that is any excuse for not prescribing essential mediation.

41 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I blame the pediatrician's receptionist who wouldn't listen to reason. Her excuse was that their office was struggling to catch up with patients' appointments as they had been flooded twice this year. However, I don't think that is any excuse for not prescribing essential mediation.

That certainly isn't any sort of excuse! I hope your family document what happened and send it directly to the pediatrician, not just to the office where the receptionist could intercept it.

After our last GP checkup I realised I hadn't asked him for a Stemetil script for our upcoming cruises. I mentioned that when I rang the clinic to book our flu shots and the prescription was emailed to me within a few minutes.

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That certainly isn't any sort of excuse! I hope your family document what happened and send it directly to the pediatrician, not just to the office where the receptionist could intercept it.

After our last GP checkup I realised I hadn't asked him for a Stemetil script for our upcoming cruises. I mentioned that when I rang the clinic to book our flu shots and the prescription was emailed to me within a few minutes.

Next time they go to the pediatrician my son will tell him what happened. My DIL said she won't try to talk about it because she would be in tears.

12 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Next time they go to the pediatrician my son will tell him what happened. My DIL said she won't try to talk about it because she would be in tears.

They need to put something in writing to leave with the paediatrician  so he/she can reflect on his lack of appropriate action. 

3 hours ago, sewgood said:

I hope it's not the flu.

Me too, and I don't think it is.

There is the bit that annoys me. It has all been about the RAT result, but there are plenty that clearly lied on the health survey about their respiratory symptom questions, as was obviously clear before we departed. If they are prepared to lie on the survey, how many would lie on the RAT result?

17 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Telling him may not be sufficient. I suggest also giving him a document detailing everything, which also indicates your son has it on file. Spoken words are easily forgotten.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

They need to put something in writing to leave with the paediatrician  so he/she can reflect on his lack of appropriate action. 

I didn't go into detail, but the lack of the medication caused an adverse health result. All OK now.

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

Me too, and I don't think it is.

There is the bit that annoys me. It has all been about the RAT result, but there are plenty that clearly lied on the health survey about their respiratory symptom questions, as was obviously clear before we departed. If they are prepared to lie on the survey, how many would lie on the RAT result?

In my family we have a couple of cases where the RAT didn't show positive, but a PCR test taken soon after did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I would be making a complaint to Australian Medical Association re Dr and Staff. Not good enough, in fact pathetic.

Hope your family gets well soon.

Edited by NSWP

7 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I didn't go into detail, but the lack of the medication caused an adverse health result. All OK now.

Oh dear, that is even worse.  Even I know, you have to be admitted to a public hospital to receive medication.  

7 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

In that case your son should definitely kick up a big stink about what happened. When a person's health is at risk, be it a child or an adult, being busy is no excuse, especially when the action required would only take a few minutes.

I am speaking to my son on the phone at the moment. He has made a complaint to the pediatrician's practice and intends to make another complaint when he speaks to her personally. They actually have a telehealth appointment for next week. Previously they were told they had to wait a month. However, even a day without the medication had a really bad result.

My son and his wife are still testing positive on a RAT after nine days. I don't know if the simultaneous flu infection has caused the COVID to last longer.

Edited by Aus Traveller

10 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am speaking to my son on the phone at the moment. He has made a complaint to the pediatrician's practice and intends to make another complaint when he speaks to her personally. They actually have a telehealth appointment for next week. Previously they were told they had to wait a month. However, even a day without the medication had a really bad result.

My son and his wife are still testing positive on a RAT after nine days. I don't know if the simultaneous flu infection has caused the COVID to last longer.

You can still test positive for quite a long time after the infectious period has ended.  I tested 10 days after my first positive RAT and was still positive. 

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

You can still test positive for quite a long time after the infectious period has ended.  I tested 10 days after my first positive RAT and was still positive. 

In the initial months of COVID my daughter-in-law's sister came back from Europe with COVID. She was hospitalized although she wasn't very ill. After she was officially 'well' she tested positive on PCR tests for another seven weeks.

• Like 1