Blu - dietary requirements

Tilly54

Hi, 

I sail with celebrity for the first time this August, we normally cruise with P&O and they are very good with my husband and his dietary needs.

we have booked Aqua class which I believe means that we eat in ‘Blu’ every night, this would be fine for me but will they change the menu to suit my husband? - he is having treatment for liver cancer and this not only affects his appetite but also his tastes. Would they for example be able to provide tomato soup every evening for him?

if for some reason he struggles too much in Blu can we change to the MDR?

thank you

I have severe food allergies (shellfish) and the staff at Blu have always been very good about making sure I’m not exposed to anything that will cause a reaction. They ARE humans, however, so it’s really important to be diligent. 

You can always eat in the dining room in Select seating but may have more of a wait. With the new Celebrity app you can check to see what’s being served in any of the restaurants. I *believe* you can order from the MDR menu in Blu but if I’m wrong, someone will immediately correct me. 

Does your husband eat at least a few different foods? Can’t say I have ever seen tomato soup on a ship but you can always get a baked potato, plain grilled chicken or salmon, rice, basic salad, etc. 

Best wishes and good health to you and your husband. 

• Like 1

There are more menu options in the MDR than in Blu.  Depending on the ship, you may or may not be able to order from the MDR in Blu.  This is due to the proximity of the kitchens.  

We typically have dinner in Blu and they are accommodating.  On a couple of nights, we eat at the Buffet or in a Specialty Restaurant.  Check out the menus on the app.

• Like 1

First of all, welcome to Cruise Critic.

Secondly, I am sorry to hear of your husband's cancer.

I believe Celebrity will do all they can to accommodate him.

My suggestion would be to get in touch with the Special Needs department at Celebrity and start

by discussing this with them. They would be able to advise you as to what is possible, as far as menus. 

their email is:

special_needs@rccl.com

Best of luck

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would suggest you fill out and submit the Special Needs form alerting the staff of the dietary issues.

When you board meet with the MaitreD of Blu and discuss your situation.  They are very accommodating and will do their best to see that your husband enjoys his meals.  They can show your husband the nightly menu the day before and make substitutions is he wants.
Reading the menus on the app is a good suggestion but there are things available in Blu that aren’t on the menu.  Some that come to mind are shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad,  mashed potatoes, French fries, escargot, 

• Like 3

Blu is very accommodating. As suggested above it's a good idea to contact Special Needs before your cruise and alert both the Maitre d  in Blu as soon as you board. Also, in Blu they tend to try seating you with the same wait staff nightly if requested and if possible. In your case, that would be a good idea and also mention your needs to your waiter.  I wish you a great trip and your husband a full recovery.

• Like 1

Agree with the above about special needs and contacting Blu as soon as you board.  Blu is not open during lunch but generally if you wander in there will be someone doing setup and you can speak with them.  If you can't find anybody there go to the MDR where there will be a Matre'd there who can probably make arrangements for you to meet with the Blu Matre'd.

As far as tomato soup I believe it's on the childrens menu so should be available nightly.

I know some liver issues are highly sensitive to sodium so if that is an issue make sure they are aware.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 1

The staff in BLU were very accommodating to 2 members in our last group.  One was gluten free, low fiber.  The other was Vegan, No Oil/Fat.  They were happy if you just told them what you wanted and they did their best to accommodate.  You will be able to see the next night’s menu and they will customize your meal to your needs.  They were happy to oblige (and we tipped them generously).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1