Help deciding!

Ally2725

Hi all,

I was hoping I could gather some advice about what ship I should be sailing next.

My options are the Escape leaving from port Canaveral (I've sailed the Escape once before) or the Encore leaving from Miami. They are both 7 days and both Carribean sailings with the same ports.

I was worried from what I saw that the Encore has quite a few on board expenses like go karts etc. Has anyone sailed these ships have any preferences or experience they can share that may help sway my decision? 

Thank you 😀

Edited by Ally2725

2 hours ago, Ally2725 said:

I was hoping I could gather some advice about what ship I should be sailing next. My options are the Escape leaving from port Canaveral (I've sailed the Escape once before) or the Encore leaving from Miami. They are both 7 days and both Carribean sailings with the same ports. I was worried from what I saw that the Encore has quite a few on board expenses like go karts etc. Has anyone sailed these ships have any preferences or experience they can share that may help sway my decision? 

We would chose the Encore out of Miami. Both for the port and being on NCL's newest ship. 

We have sailed on the Escape 4 times. We sailed the Encore 3 times: Eastern Caribbean in 2019, Alaska in 2021, and the Eastern Caribbean in 2022. To give you a look at the ship a couple of months ago, flip through my live post below. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kelib said:

Unless you were planning on spending time in Orlando, I would stick with sailing out of Miami. Options for hotel and transport to the port are much 

I did think it would be easier out of Miami, didn't want any headaches on getting to port Canaveral on the day!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

We would chose the Encore out of Miami. Both for the port and being on NCL's newest ship. 

We have sailed on the Escape 4 times. We sailed the Encore 3 times: Eastern Caribbean in 2019, Alaska in 2021, and the Eastern Caribbean in 2022. To give you a look at the ship a couple of months ago, flip through my live post below. 

Fantastic! How do the two ships compare if you don't mind me asking? Will 100% look at your live post, sure it'll help 😁

2 minutes ago, Ally2725 said:

Fantastic! How do the two ships compare if you don't mind me asking? Will 100% look at your live post, sure it'll help 😁

They are both Breakaway-Plus class ships, so they are about the same size. The Escape has more passenger cabins since the Encore has an Observation Lounge which takes up about 1/3 of Deck 15. We normally spend a lot of time in the Observation Lounge sitting and reading (since the Waterfront tends to be too hot or too cold depending on the itinerary). 

You've been on the Escape and know that it has the Spice H20 sundeck at the back of the ship. The Encore does not have that space (It is a for-fee virtual reality arcade). The under utilized Ropes Course on the Escape is replaced with a Go Kart track and Laser Tag arena on the Encore. 

Since we are "older", we would not use the ropes course on the Escape and have only driven the Go Karts for fun, not really racing, which annoys the kids on the tack at the same time.

Other features are similar between the ships. Some of the names are different, but about the same.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

All activities like go-carts are optional.  You do not have to utilize those activities nor pay for them. They are available to book at extra cost, though!

Yeah, my only worry was any unexpected on board fees, don't mind paying extra for things as it's holiday time but just didn't want to feel like I was paying for loads extra if that makes sense.

8 hours ago, Ally2725 said:

Yeah, my only worry was any unexpected on board fees, don't mind paying extra for things as it's holiday time but just didn't want to feel like I was paying for loads extra if that makes sense.

I get it.

There are lots of free things to do.  The main shows are free.  There’s entertainment throughout the ship at different times that is free.  Pools and water slides are free.  In short, plenty to do without spending more.

I like both the Encore and the Escape.  Both are the new ships that are only a few years old.  So, they have the new dining venues in addition to the NCL favorites.

I do agree that going out of Miami is more desirable than going out of Orlando….unless you plan to spend some time at Disney and/or Universal for a few days prior/after the cruise.  Miami is easier to get in and out of.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

Here Is one more thing that I would add to BirdTravels' comparison. The Encore has a Beatles tribute band that plays almost nightly, either in the Cavern or the main theater. I have sailed both ships and love them both.  The Madara spas are comparable with some minor differences.  The dry saunas on the Escape have windows looking out on the sea, the Encore does not.  The Thermal Suite on the Escape is a bit larger.  All of the water jets in the heated pool worked on the Encore as of April.  In December, half of the jets were inoperable on the Escape.  I don't think you could go wrong with either ship.  If one is driving, rather than flying, the Escape out of Port Canaveral would be my suggestion as traffic is much less than Miami.  If one is flying, then the Encore out of Miami might be easier.

• Thanks 1

I was just debating the same thing.   We ultimately chose the Escape so we can visit family in Orlando as well. Just curious though.  I read in some replies that the Miami prt is easier than Orlando.   Is it difficult at Port Canaveral?   I’ve only left from there once on Disney but that was many years ago.  My last few were out of NY

33 minutes ago, ccc321 said:

I was just debating the same thing.   We ultimately chose the Escape so we can visit family in Orlando as well. Just curious though.  I read in some replies that the Miami prt is easier than Orlando.   Is it difficult at Port Canaveral?   I’ve only left from there once on Disney but that was many years ago.  My last few were out of NY

MIami (MIA) is only about 8 miles to the Miami cruise port.

FLL is about 30 miles to the Fort Lauderdale cruise port.

Edited by graphicguy

Just to add a bit of information; Port Canaveral is about an hour from Orlando but there are shuttles that pick up at the Orlando hotels and bring you to the port.  I think Mears is the name of one of them.  The cost of the shuttle could get to be a factor if you have a larger group.  As others have said, if you have no interest in the theme parks then Miami is preferable. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 6:19 AM, ccc321 said:

The port in PC itself is not difficult...it is just getting there from Orlando. We did this in February and booked a very nice private car service which wasn't that much more expensive than a shuttle. We actually had a harder time finding a way back to Orlando and took the NCL bus, which was fine (but that was more on us not being able to make a decision than anything else).

I enjoyed the Escape but would chose the Encore for the Observation Lounge (really missed that) and the Specialty restaurant, Onda.  

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 9:53 AM, graphicguy said:

MIami (MIA) is only about 8 miles to the Miami cruise port.

FLL is about 30 miles to the Fort Lauderdale cruise port.

This is incorrect.

For clarity: 

FLL is the airport in Fort Lauderdale.

FLL is not 30 miles from the Fort Lauderdale cruise port.

FLL is only 3.7 miles away from the Fort Lauderdale cruise port (Port Everglades).

FLL is 27 miles away from the Port of Miami.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

On 6/18/2022 at 9:19 AM, ccc321 said:

Port of Miami is easier just because it's so close to the airport if you are flying.

If you are driving Port Canaveral is likely easier.

If you are flying into Orlando, there are plenty of transportation options to get you to Port Canaveral but it's a good hour drive. I'm not sure which shuttles are still running post covid, but I'm certain there are both shuttles and private transportation. Some people even rent a car. There is lots of discussion in the Florida port forum here on CC.

Please consider coming in a day earlier. Between current flight delays and the extra distance to get to Port Canaveral from the Orlando Airport I would not suggest doing this on day of embarkation. 

• Like 1

The only thing I don’t like about Miami is the airport but I was stuck there for a day over Memorial Day weekend  due to flight cancellations. To fly in and out it is fine unless you end up sleeping there.

i ended up paying double to fly home from Ft Lauderdale just to get home 2 days late. If I waited for a flight from Miami it would have been 3 days late.  Between hotels, food, and clothing ( once you check your bag you can’t get it back regardless if your flight is canceled) I spent an extra $1500 for 4 of us.

I swear I will never go back to the Miami airport. I am going back in November but flying to Ft Lauderdale.

4 minutes ago, RRSeeker said:

The only thing I don’t like about Miami is the airport but I was stuck there for a day over Memorial Day weekend  due to flight cancellations. To fly in and out it is fine unless you end up sleeping there.

i ended up paying double to fly home from Ft Lauderdale just to get home 2 days late. If I waited for a flight from Miami it would have been 3 days late.  Between hotels, food, and clothing ( once you check your bag you can’t get it back regardless if your flight is canceled) I spent an extra $1500 for 4 of us.

I swear I will never go back to the Miami airport. I am going back in November but flying to Ft Lauderdale.

I hope you had travel insurance..

And I agree with you about the Miami airport...I have flown into/out of FLL for my last 2 cruises out of Miami. 

I had travel insurance but not for the flight. Lesson learned about using NCL insurance for the cruise. 

I can afford the loss but it opened my eyes for the need to insurance outside of NCL when they don’t book your flights . Decline their insurance and buy your own if they are not booking your flight.

I love the Escape, but hated the Encore. 

(for reference, we just made Sapphire level, so we've been around the block for a while on NCL)

We went on the Encore Inaugural sailing... I'm really short (5'3) and I felt claustrophobic in so many of the areas (where I could touch the ceiling with my hands up... how do regular sized people manage?)

It felt closed up, like a shopping mall.  No grand spaces.  Too much space wasted on laser tag and crummy things that have upcharges.  No Spice H20.  No Howl at the Moon. A huge chandelier that looks like an embolism.  

Nope, I'm sticking to the ships I like.  At the moment, it's just the Escape, Epic, Breakaway and Getaway.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Seraphine said:

We went on the Encore Inaugural sailing... I'm really short (5'3) and I felt claustrophobic in so many of the areas (where I could touch the ceiling with my hands up... how do regular sized people manage?)

I'm thinking about booking a cruise on the Encore - for all the reasons you dislike haha...laser tag and go karts! But, I am really curious about the spaces where you felt claustrophobic. Where was this? In your room? Public spaces? Waterfront? Etc...could definitely keep me from sailing the Encore if it's this pronounced.

• Like 1