Juneau Excursion Time

On July 13, Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas docks in Juneau at 1:00pm. I'm on an Alaska Tales excursion that leaves at 1:30 pm form the tent on the wooden dock on the water-side of the large red Mt. Robert's Tramway Building. Will I be able to get there on time?

According to the current docking schedule you will be docking at the farthest south pier AJ, about a mile from the tram:

https://claalaska.com/?page_id=1551

You really don't know when you will actually dock, nor when they will allow you off the ship.  Typically there is a shuttle from AJ to the tram.  Assuming you are actually allowed off the ship at 1 and you are one of the first people off, you can probably walk fast and be there by 1:30.  Tour operators often will either adjust their schedules or arrange for pickup at the dock.  Really depends on how many customers are on your ship versus others that are closer.  You need to discuss this with them.

Edited by LeeW
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, mitchden said:

On July 13, Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas docks in Juneau at 1:00pm. I'm on an Alaska Tales excursion that leaves at 1:30 pm form the tent on the wooden dock on the water-side of the large red Mt. Robert's Tramway Building. Will I be able to get there on time?

If you are docking at the AJ pier, you need to catch the shuttle bus that drops you at the base of the Tramway. When the ship docks, there is usually a line to get on the shuttle, so you need to queue early to disembark. 

On 6/17/2022 at 10:01 AM, mitchden said:

We were on the Serenade 2 weeks ago with the 1pm arrival & AJ Pier. We actually arrived early and were docked before 1PM. There is a shuttle bus right at the pier to take you right to were you need to be. We were at the tent more than 30 minutes early for the same excursion. Very short ride but I would suggest you being ready to walk off the ship when it arrives in case the ship is on time.  Alaskan Tales knows when the ships arrive and we waited a few minutes for passengers from another ship. They will give you the phone number to contact Alaskan Tales. We had a good time on the Wale Watch. Saw Humpbacks, and a Pod of Killer Whales on our trip. Just so you know allof the whale watch tours leave from a dock about 20 minutes our from town. They take you by bus.

We just got back from Alaska on a Carnival cruise and we actually tendered at Juneau. :-O.  There were about 5 or 6 ships in port that day.  Not sure how we drew the short straw, but I'm just saying all of that to say, you MIGHT be cutting it close with only 30 minutes.

As a follow up we were allowed off the ship well before 1 but that can change.   The key for you is to be ready to get off ASAP.  On the Senerade they use the rear elevators for port stops.  We took them down to about level 3 when we were docking and then walked down to 2 when they started allowing people off.   They have a good shuttle bus system but they only carry about 50 each and the line gets long. If you get off right away you should have no issue with 1.:30.