Any tips for a Carnival newbie, sailing soon on the Pride

debsjc

15 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Did not know that. When did the price go up? I Just paid $39.00pp two weeks ago for my up coming cruise on the Liberty. Glad to hear it was a great meal. Must be doing the same as the 555. At $42.00 still worth it.

I believe all of the steakhouses on Carnival are relatively the same although the name and theme will vary by ship. I would agree that even at $42 it's worth it. I had always resisted the idea of going to the steakhouse for 2 reasons. 1. I'm cheap. 2. I didn't want to pay that price for a chicken breast since DW doesn't like red meat that much and can't eat fish. But we tried it in November and DW even had the filet mignon (which the staff gladly butterflied so it could be cooked well done). I had the NY Strip and it was as good a steak as I've had (second only to a steak that I had in Texas at an upscale restaurant whose name escapes me).

15 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

It went up for all bookings from new bookings only in May (all existing bookings retained old price)

That has to be an administrative burden and a half.

While I am not familiar with European sailings, this is pretty standard across Carnival ships:

- Seaday brunch in the Main Dining Room (MDR) is something you should do at least once.  It is included in the cost of the cruise, and has some items unique to that menu.  On our most recent sailing it ended at noon, but we were still able to use it twice in one day - early for a light breakfast, and then closer to noon for more of a lunch.  It’s fun, and we waited way too long in our cruise history to try it.   It is only available on Sea Days.

- at dinner in the MDR, the chocolate melting cake has a cult following, and I am a member.  I agree that it has been a bit gooier recently, but I still love it, and I always ask the waiter to bring a small cup of peanut butter, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream with it.  I get it once a cruise, which is an improvement on the nightly indulging I did in my younger days.

- Blue Iguana breakfast tacos are great, and they also have little wedges of watermelon there at the condiment station which I love.

- Guy’s burgers has tiny potato sticks on their condiment station that are good for snacking.

- another vote for the dessert cakes at the Lido LUNCH buffet.  They cut thin slices of them for you.  The Funfetti cake with sprinkles is only served on embarkation day, and it has sort of a cheescakey layer that is yum.  The dinner desserts at that buffet are different, with individual squares pre-cut, but there is always some sort of bread pudding-like offering with sauce.  

- when you feel a chocolate urge, the hot chocolate at the self serve station at the Lido buffet can take care of that for you. 

- We pack a small plastic tray to schlep food back to our cabin if we want to enjoy it on our balcony.  Otherwise you have to juggle plates.  Of course Room Service takes care of that - but their menu is somewhat limited.  We have a tiny inside cabin next month, but we still might pack the tray to carry food to the Serenity deck where I spend most afternoons.  

HAHA - all of my tips were food-related!

Bon voyage! 

Edited by CarolSW
  • Like 1

Speaking of food, the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake is a must in the MDR. It's available every night and is served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You can ask for the ice cream to be held or ask for an extra scoop (or substitute a different flavor). One hack that I use is I ask for a small side dish of peanut butter. Yum. Now I've gone and made myself hungry.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Buffettfan 225 said:

1.)Yes to extension- make sure No surge protector is part of it, those are not allowed. 

2.)I can add- a small collapsible cooler (Carnival size is 12” x 12”j - you can always put in shower or sink if your seams are leakproof. Good for excursion, and keeping items cold in room. 

3.) Sailing out one is allowed to bring on up to 12- 12oz cans of a soda,seltzer,juice etc. 

4.)I prefer for cruise convenience pre purchasing bottled water from Carnivals gift shop under beverages. Same can be done for other items - cake,cookies,room decoration, even liquor.

etc.

5,)Carnival has switched to us g sugar dispensers, which I found inconvenient if I was in our cabin, or away from lido area (buffet.) I bring sugar packets in a ziploc and carry some with me. OR plan ahead in Lido area, fill a spare cup with sugar to use. Same goes for lack of straws - for environment they cut them out. So plan ahead. 

They do have the pink/blue packets yet, but also had to ask for Splenda (yellow packets)if needed that type. Just plan ahead.  

6.) If in a balcony room and curtain light bothers you- clip it closed with one of the hangers in closet with clips for pants. 

7.)We also cover the bathroom drains to avoid any smells from going into room just in case.

8.) Never open balcony door and hall door at same time- it becomes a cabin wind fest. Same goes for closing doors - please be courteous and just let them go and not letting them slam. 

9.)MOST IMPORTANT - in main dining room you can order as many appetizers,mains,desserts in combo or two’s. No rules on quantity. 

10.)Wind on deck /piers- watch your hats, and if you put your sign n’sail card on a lanyard- I have seen them flyoff. 

11.)I being an insulated commuter cup (with a lid that seals well) for beverages. Also some ziplocs- (plastic sealed bags) that way the cookies, or say banana bread or danish from breakfast  I brought to cabin from lido keeps fresh for snack later. However you cannot bring any not sealed from manufacturer anytime off ship. 

All very good. I use large clips to keep the drapes closed. As for the drains. Pour about a gallon of water into them. The traps run dry and the smell will escape. No small at all for the entire cruise.

7 hours ago, CarolSW said:

Seaday brunch in the Main Dining Room (MDR) is something you should do at least once.  It is included in the cost of the cruise, and has some items unique to that menu.  On our most recent sailing it ended at noon

That seems awfully early and hardly a brunch. Normally it's always open until 2pm, hence brunch and why they offer lunch entrees.. What ship did seaday brunch only go to noon?

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

That seems awfully early and hardly a brunch. Normally it's always open until 2pm, hence brunch and why they offer lunch entrees.. What ship did seaday brunch only go to noon?

I believe at least for June this was one of the temporary changes due to crew shortages. I have heard of it on most, if not all ships this month. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, lennythenose said:

I believe at least for June this was one of the temporary changes due to crew shortages. I have heard of it on most, if not all ships this month. 

Not on the Pride

I want some of that Chocolate melting cake now 😀

Neither of us drink tea, so that's not a problem 

Do the standard balcony cabins have mini fridges in? 

Thanks again for all the information, you have all made me hungry!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, debsjc said:

I want some of that Chocolate melting cake now 😀

Neither of us drink tea, so that's not a problem 

Do the standard balcony cabins have mini fridges in? 

Thanks again for all the information, you have all made me hungry!

They do have mini fridges yes but they dont get super cold!

• Like 1