Pre-cruise Copenhagen, Denmark itinerary

Hi everyone, I will be going on NCL Star cruise from September 26 - October 6, and our group of 9 (ranging from ages 47-83) are planning to stay 2 nights pre-cruise in Copenhagen. Unfortunately it looks like our incoming flight won’t arrive Copenhagen until 6pm on Saturday 9/24/22, so we will only have all of Sunday 9/25/22 to explore Copenhagen. I need help with what is the best hotels to stay in, and things to do with our limited one day.

In order to get most out of you first evening and the following day I’ll suggest a hotel close to Nyhavn/Kongens Nytorv. Many sights in walking distance.

Some suggestions: Hotel Bethel, 71 Nyhavn Hotel or Huxley Hotel.

• Like 1

DH and I have booked Radisson Royal near the train station and Tivoli.  Our strategy has always been to book a hotel near something we want to visit and near transportation. 

We plan to take a canal cruise and know we will likely need a taxi to get there.  

We had a flight for the day after we disembarked mid-afternoon.  However, that was changed by United to 9:40, so we felt a hotel near the train station would make life easier for us. 

• 1 month later...

We have cruised from København twice, both times we stayed at the Marriott.  The Hop-On Hop-Off bus stops directly in front of the hotel and you can buy your tickets from the concierge in the lobby.  There is a more-expensive option that also includes the canal tour.  If you book a room on the club-level, the included concierge lounge offers a nice breakfast buffet and heavy hors d'oeuvres /cocktails in the late afternoon/early evening.  Soft drinks, juice, and coffee are available all day.  

Granted, the hotel lacks character and feels like it could be anywhere in the world, sometimes familiar is nice.  Especially if you only have a day or two.  The concierge is very helpful as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beachluver9 said:

We have cruised from København twice, both times we stayed at the Marriott.  The Hop-On Hop-Off bus stops directly in front of the hotel.

@beachluver9

We are also staying at the Copenhagen Marriott pre-cruise in late Aug. Thanks for sharing! 

Question: How did you travel from the airport to the Marriott and then from the hotel to the cruise port? Thanks!

Edited by long4acruise

One plus about Marriott beyond comfort zone for Americans (true air conditioning)

Most hotels in Copenhagen that are listed on Tripadvisor or other hotel search engines as having A/C DO NOT have true A/C.   They have something called air cooling which cannot remove humidity and leave you feel sticky on those rare hot and humid days in CPH.  Those days are becoming more frequent each summer with global warming 

Marriot has true air conditioning. 

Taxis in CPH are ridiculously expensive for short rides within city but are easily available at train station.  With your back to the tracks, take right exit out of of the train station (by the Coop store) and there will be dozen plus taxi waiting.

Taxis have three components to their fare:

1. High base fare (just to get in)

2. Per km charge

3. Per minute charge

CPH does not allow Uber. 

But bus stop is also right there (bus 26 going towards Sankt Ann Plads) and your ticket from airport to train station is still valid on that bus and bus drops you right in front of the Marriott 

Unless price difference is significant, take a look at 5 star Hotel Nimb which is right across the train station (opposite taxi stand) located in the grounds of Tivoli 

Of course Radisson Royal, very close to train station (next to Tourist office and also convenient to multiple tourist friendly bus routes, new metro stop and less crowded S-torg stop) is along time favorite on CC board BUT does not have true A/C  (which may or may not matter on any particular summer night)

Edited by hal2008
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2022 at 12:50 PM, 2mydaddy said:

Hi everyone, I will be going on NCL Star cruise from September 26 - October 6, and our group of 9 (ranging from ages 47-83) are planning to stay 2 nights pre-cruise in Copenhagen. Unfortunately it looks like our incoming flight won’t arrive Copenhagen until 6pm on Saturday 9/24/22, so we will only have all of Sunday 9/25/22 to explore Copenhagen. I need help with what is the best hotels to stay in, and things to do with our limited one day.

depends on your interest and budget.

There are two hotels right at the airport (Comfort and Clarion) with 15-20 minute metro ride to touristic center.

There are numerous hotels near Central Train station too

(Radisson Royal, Hotel Nimb, Scandic Webers)

Bus 23, 26, 2A are of interest

Right at Nyhvn, there are Hotel Betel. 71 Nyhvn, Scandic Front, Admiral

There is also a 3 star at Osterport station. with bus stop at front door (and across from train station)

Bus 25 starts here and goes towards Cruise terminals.

Bus 27 starts here for Little Mermaid and DFDS terminal.

Bus 23 stops here which goes through touristic center to Central train station

Purple dotted line walk on tourist office map covers most of the major points of interest in the central area.

The Nimb is certainly one of the best hotels in Copenhagen. 5 stars, centrally located at Tivoli, hop on, hop off bus stop a block away, inexpensive Covid testing site about 20 minutes walk away, central train station across the street. Really nice hotel with excellent service.

19 hours ago, long4acruise said:

Question: How did you travel from the airport to the Marriott and then from the hotel to the cruise port?

Best option is Taxi - both from airport and to cruise terminal. Hotel is a bit remote from public transport to airport/cruise terminal.

There is a shuttle service available for the cruise terminal but taxi might be less expensive and more flexible.

Uber is not operating in Denmark ( does not comply with Danish legislation)

For taxi I use on of the following companies: Dantaxi, 4x35 or 4x27 (numbers does refer to phone number)

9994BB3E-9A9A-4C20-A8FF-24D3FC83EF63.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2022 at 1:39 PM, hallasm said:

In order to get most out of you first evening and the following day I’ll suggest a hotel close to Nyhavn/Kongens Nytorv. Many sights in walking distance.

Some suggestions: Hotel Bethel, 71 Nyhavn Hotel or Huxley Hotel.

We stayed at 71 Nyhavn and loved the location - steps from multiple restaurants and cafes and walking distance to see the Little Mermaid and other sights. Also recommend Copenhagen Free Walking Tours the guide was wonderful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ski ww said:

The Tivoli looks like it's close to the major tourist things to see

Tivoli Hotel is probably not the most centrally located hotel, - 1.5 miles from the Town Hall Square and two miles from Nyhavn. Anyway, a nice hotel. 

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, love2crews. said:

Any good tour recommendations (companies or local guides)?  We definitely want to do Hamlet's castle.

Four years ago, we did the Grand Day Trip Around Copenhagen with Hamlet Tours, a full day out of Copenhagen that took us to Kronborg Castle (aka Hamlet's Castle), Frederiksborg Palace, Roskilde Cathedral, and the Viking Ship Museum.   It was a jam-packed day, and we were glad we did it, but, quite frankly, it is cramming a lot into a day.   

The star of the day, for us, was Frederiksborg Castle, sort of a Danish Versailles.  Absolutely stunning, and we could easily have spent the whole day there.  Far, far more interesting than Kronborg.  Roskilde Cathedral was also interesting, but we felt that, as the first stop, it was a bit rushed, as I think the guide was making sure there was enough time for everything else.   The Viking Ship Museum was fascinating.  Overall, I would have spent less time at Kronborg.

https://hamlettours.com/grand-day-trip-around-copenhagen/

This was a good company, and I do recommend them if this is of interest to you.  Just  know it's a really full day.

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

We will be on that cruise with you. We are getting into Copenhagen on Friday afternoon. I plan on getting the Copenhagen card. You can buy it for 24, 48, or 72 hours. It includes admission to many places and it includes transportation. We plan on using the card to take the train to the city.