Formal nights

florence11

10 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

Perhaps you might want to check out post #231 to see who is the one actually calling others trolls. "Always that group that lowers the bar to see what they can get away with" is another 'for shame' comment by that same poster. 

The funny thing here is how nasty all the responses are to my comment. I mean really nasty. I gave a valid point & the attacks fly. Sorry if offends all the sensitive egos here. Like it or not there is a "lower the bar sentimentality"  Is it really that hard to dress reasonably decently? I'm not talking tuxes/suits & ties just smart casual. Button down shirts/slacks. Really that hard? To those saying I'm telling. No, I'm giving my opinion. Seems a lot can't take that oh, well. I'll not say troll any more.

Edited by rbtan
additions
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, rbtan said:

The funny thing here is how nasty all the responses are to my comment. I mean really nasty. I gave a valid point & the attacks fly. Sorry if offends all the sensitive egos here. Like it or not there is a "lower the bar sentimentality"  Is it really that hard to dress reasonably decently? I'm not talking tuxes/suits & ties just smart casual. Button down shirts/slacks. Really that hard? To those saying I'm telling. No, I'm giving my opinion. Seems a lot can't take that oh, well. I'll not say troll any more.

We all have our ideas of what dressing down is. I for one am fine with what the Princess has become and if it means that there are few that stretch it to the extreme, so be it.

If Princess has become to casual for those that need the formality, then they really should be looking at other cruise lines that offer what they require. There are a few still left. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, rbtan said:

The nastiness is coming from you by you calling people who disagree with you "trolls", and people you don't approve the way they dress as "slobs" and "slovenly", or accusing them of "lowering the bar to see what they can get away with". It's quite clear who is the nasty person on this thread. No amount of deflection will change those facts. 

BTW: name calling and insults are not, as you claim, "valid points". 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

If Princess has become to casual for those that need the formality, then they really should be looking at other cruise lines that offer what they require. There are a few still left. 

Apologies - came across this thread by accident.

Agree there are a few left, but casuals are hell bent on also dumbing them down, in the same way they destroyed the formal ambience of Princess many years ago.  But one can dress formally as one wishes, regardless of any published dress code.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Agree there are a few left, but casuals are hell bent on also dumbing them down, in the same way they destroyed the formal ambience of Princess many years ago.  But one can dress formally as one wishes, regardless of any published dress code.  

We've among those that have been complaining for years that Princess was to strict on formal nights about dress codes especially when the other cruise line had already eased up on their codes. While the women weren't specifically  targeted, the men were forced to bring the needless jackets just to eat in the DR and receive the better food they offer. 

Now that casual dress is acceptable on any night the cruise line fits our style even better. 

I don't believe the casual dressers are trying to push their agenda any more than prior years.

They're just more noticeable then they used to be as more guys are skipping the formal attire. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

So, conspiracy theorists also live in England. Nice to know. LOL!

I belong to not one, but three "dumb down formal night" terrorist groups. We are hell bent on getting our way, no matter who ends up being collateral damage. We spend weekends practicing by  meeting in parking lots of high end restaurants, dressing like slobs and being slovenly. On our leader's command, we storm those restaurants to lower the bar to see what they can get away with. We won't stop until our last gasping breath. HAIL THE SHORTS!!!! 

(Satire for those who take themselves much too seriously - you know who you are!)  

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

I just don't understand it. How does what somebody else sitting at a different table from you affect your experience at all? Why does anyone care what other people wear? It does not make any sense to me. It does not compute.

Would you also be offended if the person at that other table ordered a different entree than you did?

Would you be offended if they spoke a different language than you did?

Would you be offended if they had their elbows on the table?

You don't know that person and you are never going to see them again. Why would you let what they do or wear affect your enjoyment of your vacation?

Pleas explain to me why this bothers people because I just can't fathom it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

The Princess dumbing down started about 16 years ago (last Princess) when Princess dropped the three ‘compulsory ’ dress formats by inserting the word “suggested” and the casuals took over the Line, pushing their right to Carnivalise evenings to the lowest possible standard.  The repeated demented parrot mantra “It says suggested so tough” is still being heard today.

Bye said one….

"Carnivalise"????

You obviously have never sailed on NCL with their Freestyle cruising mantra.

3 minutes ago, wallyboag said:

I just don't understand it. How does what somebody else sitting at a different table from you affect your experience at all? Why does anyone care what other people wear? 

Please explain to me why this bothers people because I just can't fathom it.

Ambiance

Just like a boisterous table of 12 can effect the ambiance of a dining room, so can a quiet table of 12 with 5 out of 6 men wearing baseball caps.  A collared shirt and dress shorts are fine with me, but wearing a baseball cap is over the line in my opinion.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Ambiance

Just like a boisterous table of 12 can effect the ambiance of a dining room, so can a quiet table of 12 with 5 out of 6 men wearing baseball caps.  A collared shirt and dress shorts are fine with me, but wearing a baseball cap is over the line in my opinion.  

I just cannot comprehend this at all. I can't picture every feeling like some baseball caps ruined my dinner. Completely foreign concept to me. How do the caps ruin the ambiance?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I just cannot comprehend this at all. I can't picture every feeling like some baseball caps ruined my dinner. Completely foreign concept to me. How do the caps ruin the ambiance?

Because the dress code is part of the ambiance.  Seeing those "gentlemen" wearing baseball caps in a specialty venue did not ruin our meal but it did take it down a notch.  

I equate a specialty venue on a cruise ship to a time when my parents and I went out to dinner for a special occasion.  Wouldn't think about wearing a baseball cap back in the day and even though dress codes have changed dramatically over the years, wearing a baseball cap still seems to cross the line in my opinion and ruins the ambiance of the establishment that you're dining in.

• Like 2

I just don't understand it. How does what somebody else sitting at a different table from you affect your experience at all? ...It does not compute... Pleas explain to me why this bothers people because I just can't fathom it.

OK. The answer is that you are asking something about a symptom, but not the cause of the problem. To my mind you are correct, it does not, or should not matter what you or anyone else wears at the table. Well, within decency, I think we would all come to mutual agreement on that.

But what it comes down to is Princess policy. Princess is a business and like any shoreside restaurant, they can set their policy on what is acceptable wherever they want. The ambiguity of their policy leaves us passengers in a lurch and the cause of dissent here on the board.

You show as located in Anaheim, so let's say someone invites you to the Magic Castle in Hollywood. You have a choice to wear a coat and tie and go, or don't go. You will not be admitted without them. I see Princess as a business with British roots.(was part of P&O) Dining tends to be more formal. But in their wording and that they don't hold to policy consistently across the fleet, that's the problem. I'm fine with relaxing the requirements. But set policy limits consistently, they should.

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Because the dress code is part of the ambiance.  Seeing those "gentlemen" wearing baseball caps in a specialty venue did not ruin our meal but it did take it down a notch.  

I equate a specialty venue on a cruise ship to a time when my parents and I went out to dinner for a special occasion.  Wouldn't think about wearing a baseball cap back in the day and even though dress codes have changed dramatically over the years, wearing a baseball cap still seems to cross the line in my opinion and ruins the ambiance of the establishment that you're dining in.

Times have changed including headgear.

• Like 4