Seasickness on whale watching excursion?

HandC4Me

We're hoping to book a whale watching excursion in Icy Strait Point, and I've seen some great posts comparing the different size boats in terms of how many they hold, and if there's enough room at the rail for viewing, etc. The one point I haven't seen yet is if the smaller boats have significantly more "movement" to them? We have a few people in our party prone to seasickness and I'm wondering if boat size would have an impact on that? We have the sea bands but not sure if they would help in a situation like that?

Any input on seasickness and whale watching is appreciated! 

The one time I have been whale watching, it was a boat for 30-ish and I got horribly seasick, in a way that I've never been before. Since then, I've been on 12-person RIBs and snorkeling trips with little/no seasickness-- it's just a matter of taking the Dramamine pill an hour before the excursion. I find that even on larger boats, I don't do well in enclosed spaces. I feel much better when I'm on deck and can get fresh air.

• Like 2

I got seasick on our first sea day on Eurodam (ocean side of Vancouver Island) but was perfectly fine on the whale watching boat out of ISP. Of course, there's no guarantee as to the weather, but the water around there tends to be pretty smooth.

• Like 1

I am a “sucker” for small boat excursions, and almost every time someone experiences motion sickness.  And my perception is that once you start to experience motion sickness it  can be too late to take something.  I was the kid who frequently experienced motion sickness in cars during my childhood and always take something prior to a small boat excursion.

• Like 2

No one here knows your friends and how sea motion might affect them. Everyone is different.

My wife has had a serious issue with sea sickness, but meclizine was very effective. Absolutely not recommending it, or saying it will work for your friends, but my wife loves small boat excursions now.

• Like 2

I also got very seasick on our whale watching excursion at Icy Point. I have not been that sick in a while. The boat probably had 30-50 guests as there was seating on each side (and middle I believe) as well as going up on deck. I think each row could have held 4 people if needed but it was about 2 per row. 

I know someone who suffers badly from motion sickness when in a car and they have never had a problem when  cruising and / or tendering. A car is a totally different motion to a boat.

Obviously smaller craft are more likely to suffer motion than larger ones .... plus the fact that they can be noisier and they may suffer from exhaust fume odour which may affect you 🙄🤢🤮

It may well  come down to the weather / sea  conditions on the day. If it is that bad they won't sail anyway. 

Fingers crossed and don't pysch yourself up to be sick.

Edited by MBP&O2/O
  • Like 1

We had a rough trip out on one of the 6 passenger boats. A couple of folks got sick. One of the operators advised that they shut down their service in September due to the increased possibility of rough water.

Thanks, all, for the many replies! Now we are considering doing our whale-watching tour via an NCL excursion (found out we had more excursion credit than we were aware of). If so, the size of the boat is out of my hands, so I think we'll just have to load up on seabands, Bonine, and green apples and hope for the best!

(If anyone has info on NCL's whale-watching excursions, I'd love to hear it!)

The NCL excursions for whale watching in Icy Strait Point use the same boats as for whale watching in Juneau.  The company is Allan Marine.  They are fabulous.  They can take up to 180 passengers.

If you go to NCL guest services desk on day one of your cruise you can ask for a week’s worth of anti-seasick tablets.  They are free and they work wonders for me.  I get seasick when the ship is in port and it’s a calm day! I also wear the wrist bands for acupressure and I take the anti-seasickness tablets every 12 hours.

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 1

Thank you

15 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

The NCL excursions for whale watching in Icy Strait Point use the same boats as for whale watching in Juneau.  The company is Allan Marine.  They are fabulous.  They can take up to 180 passengers.

If you go to NCL guest services desk on day one of your cruise you can ask for a week’s worth of anti-seasick tablets.  They are free and they work wonders for me.  I get seasick when the ship is in port and it’s a calm day! I also wear the wrist bands for acupressure and I take the anti-seasickness tablets every 12 hours.

YVRteacher, thank you so much for this info! It's exactly what I was wondering about (who operates the NCL excursion). And I really appreciate the tip about getting the seasick tablets from guest services also. You've been very helpful and I'm grateful; thanks again!

• Like 1

Another strategy I use is not to eat any fried or greasy food.  It makes the seasickness so much worse.  Even with all I do to keep seasickness at bay, sometimes I still get queasy on a cruise.  What helps are ginger ales with bitters and sitting right in the middle of the atrium, not looking outside.

On 6/27/2022 at 6:17 AM, trivia addict said:

One of our Indonesian cabin stewards once gave our daughter a simple home remedy for seasickness. Eat a green apple! Checked online and there is a scientific basis for this.

I never, ever, ever want to face you in a trivia contest.