Queen Elizabeth Wine by The Glass List

ClefsDor

We are trying to decide on whether or not we should bother with the drinks package on an 8 day cruise later this year. Our decision to go ahead or not will mainly be based on what wines are available up to the $12 mark. We like to drink cocktails before and after dinner but during meal times we want to enjoy wines, nice wines. So I was wondering if anyone is able to post a current list of what wines are available by the glass on the Queen Elizabeth. If most of them are over $12 it might make more sense for us to just pay for what we consume - pay for cocktails and then order a bottle of wine with dinner and just by the glass at lunch.Thanks in advance

The latest QM2 wine list has been published here: 

Wines by the glass are at the end of the list - I imagine the choice will be similar on all three queens.

if you decide to pay as you go instead, don’t forget that you can order a bottle at lunch, only drink a glass or two, and ask for the remainder to be served with dinner.

• Like 2

Having been on the QE recently, the wine list published above looks the same as we had. I was amused to note that some of the wines were just 20 and 30 cents over the limit for the drinks package.

The drinks package was a perk for splurging on Princess Grill. Although many people find it worthwhile, I wouldn't pay for the package.

• Like 1

If you ( and your travel companion) enjoy a glass of wine or two in the restaurant  then you would be wise to consider a 'Wine Package'  ( not to be confused with a drinks package ) be advised that for a 'Drinks Package' both people occupying  the same cabin must purchase one each @ $69 pp. per day

Depending on how many cocktails you like to drink before dinner you would be wise to pay as you go, a good premium cocktail and a reasonable glass of wine  is over the amount of $11.

I've recently returned from a cruise on Queen Victoria and as usual I purchased a wine package ( six bottles  Red/white) During the evening meal the sommelier discreetly topped up my glass as when needed all vey relaxing , any wine not consumed was reserved until the next evening .

I observed 'the Hassle' of guests with drink packages  (on nearby tables)  having first to attract the attention and summon over the Sommelier each time they wanted a refill, then  the hassle of always having to produce their key card - the sommelier had to go running off to the restaurant bar dispensary , whilst all this was taking place they had almost finished their meal . 

• Like 1

Thank you for your responses! I see from the wine list on QM2 that the 250ml wines by the glass are all indeed over the $12 mark. I have read elsewhere that waiters in the dining rooms tend to be very generous with the pours so one just orders the 150ml size and normally gets poured much more but the scenario that Bell Boy saw others on drinks packages experiencing is off putting for sure.

I'm sure this is covered elsewhere but in terms of the wine package is this just a discount of say 20% off the marked prices on the wine list? One other thing I'm curious about is if we bring wine on board (I realise it's just 1 bottle each - although some say people they bring on much more than that) I presume we can have this served in the restaurant and pay a corkage? If we do push the rules and bring on say 4 bottles will they still serve a bottle each night and charge corkage or will they stop after 2 nights/2 bottles?

One thing to note about the wine list I photographed on Queen Mary 2 and wines by the glass within the wine package was that due to logistics problems many of the wines that should have been available to those on the drinks package were not available at all or in selected restaurants or lounges.

We believe that between, bottled water, Illy coffees, teas aperitifs and wine we benefited by several hundred $$. Even taking account of the 3 quality bottles of red that we ordered at a 20% discount.

Our sommelier and several waiters that we dealt with in our regular dance and lounge venues noted our cabin number and our cards were not requested again.

We encountered very considerate waiters who either served or offered 250ml servings in place of 150ml servings. While this gesture was appreciated we thanked them, but explained that if we were served 150ml glasses we had more control over our overall daily alcohol consumption.

We calculated that we benefited from the package with 6 drinks per day and often had 8.

32 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

I'm sure this is covered elsewhere but in terms of the wine package is this just a discount of say 20% off the marked prices on the wine list? One other thing I'm curious about is if we bring wine on board (I realise it's just 1 bottle each - although some say people they bring on much more than that) I presume we can have this served in the restaurant and pay a corkage? If we do push the rules and bring on say 4 bottles will they still serve a bottle each night and charge corkage or will they stop after 2 nights/2 bottles?

ClefsDor,

You can bring on board as much of any type of beverage as you want for consumption in your cabin. This has been the practice for decades and was still the practice when we were onboard the QM2 a few weeks ago in May. There is no need to hide your conceal your beverages during the boarding process. Also, our cabin steward was more than happy to bring us wine buckets with ice to chill the Champagne we had brought on board. You can also bring full bottles of wine to the MDR. They will charge you a one time $25/bottle corkage fee per bottle. If you do not finish that bottle the first night it will be properly stored for you and served as requested until empty, with no additional fees. I would recommend bringing your bottles of wine early in the day rather than lugging them into the MDR in your finery. Bell Boy makes an excellent point with the wine package but even if you don't follow that advice, you are better off ordering wine by the bottle at dinner in the MDR rather than wine by the glass. It will save you money and offers you greater selection. There is no corkage fee and if not finished, it will be stored and served another evening at your direction. D&N also makes a good point as these are crazy times for cruising and not everything is going to plan. On our Crossing we found the pouring of both wine and spirits to be very generous by the staff.

Jack

Excellent information, thank you very much everyone! I think we will do the drinks package but order a bottles of wine in the evenings. I know we tend to drink far more than we do at home when we cruise so I think it'll probably still work out to our advantage. One thing I will do however is not order the package until the second day. No point paying for a whole days worth of drinks package on embarkation day as we will only have drinks that evening.

If you're on a TA, with no opportunity for excursions, then a drinks package my be worth it. For those on a port heavy cruise, it might not be so cost effective.

As we get 'free' water and illy coffee in our cabin, for us, the drinks package just isn't worth it and we have bought wine packages if the wines suited. I can't remember what my favourite cocktail costs but I know it wouldn't be within  the drinks package allowance.

We did buy the drinks package on our recent Alaska voyage, and though we drink perhaps more than many others here (who knows? ), we’ve decided not to do it again. We may have “broken even,” but just. 

We never had any trouble getting served during dinner, and the sommelier always brought double pours. Whether he charged the account for one or two at a time was, we thought, his business. He was very accommodating and friendly.

The main point is that we once or twice found ourselves going for a drink almost to just keep up. We did think we’d use the bottled water part of the package, but the mineralized water in heavy glass put us off that idea. Finally, the absence of a Godiva shop for hefty chocolate drinks on the QE made the package less attractive as well.

bottom line: we won’t do it on our Barcelona-Barcelona on October.

We're not used to drinks not being included, having previously cruised with Crystal and Regent where drinks are included, so weren't sure what to do on our first Cunard cruise. In the end, we decided against the drinks package and it worked out well for us. It meant that we only drank when we wanted to, rather than for the sake of it, and we bought wines by the bottle that we really enjoy and had them cork it and bring it out the next day. It definitely worked out less expensive than the drinks package, and we drank better wines than the included ones.

• Like 6