Eurodam Glacier Bay timing

We’ll be on the Eurodam in a little over 2 weeks (finally!!). Can anyone who’s been on her lately remember the time you begin entering glacier bay and approximately what time you got to the first glacier? I know it’s usually early in the day and just trying to figure out how to plan breakfast so we don’t miss anything. Thanks!

5 hours ago, TwinMommyByGrace said:

We’ll be on the Eurodam in a little over 2 weeks (finally!!). Can anyone who’s been on her lately remember the time you begin entering glacier bay and approximately what time you got to the first glacier? I know it’s usually early in the day and just trying to figure out how to plan breakfast so we don’t miss anything. Thanks!

I see you are drinking coffee in your profile picture so I will provide my limited insight on our recent trip - a lot of people (like us) were up and around before the 'good' coffee which starts at 7:00 am. The Lido started earlier that day, but, even I would wait for coffee in the Crow's Nest or Dutch Cafe over that stuff.

There was a guy sitting there in the Crow's Nest with speciality coffee that morning at 6:30 though,  and I asked "where did you get that?" - he said he got it the day before. I was impressed - THAT's planning!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

I see you are drinking coffee in your profile picture so I will provide my limited insight on our recent trip - a lot of people (like us) were up and around before the 'good' coffee which starts at 7:00 am. The Lido started earlier that day, but, even I would wait for coffee in the Crow's Nest or Dutch Cafe over that stuff.

There was a guy sitting there in the Crow's Nest with speciality coffee that morning at 6:30 though,  and I asked "where did you get that?" - he said he got it the day before. I was impressed - THAT's planning!

7:00 am!!  Didn’t it used to be at 6:00?  😭 Maybe I’m just being hopeful.

Also, was the guy drinking cold specialty coffee?  😲

Edited by *Miss G*

6 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

7:00 am!!  Didn’t it used to be at 6:00?  😭 Maybe I’m just being hopeful.

Also, was the guy drinking cold specialty coffee?  😲

It was 7:00 on this trip. I (along with others) were hoping for an earlier opening at least on that day. I think maybe they opened 10 or 15 minutes early. 

I guess it was cold (I would have been OK with that over Lido coffee) unless he had access to a Microwave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing to consider is that schedules do change.  Sometimes you go to Johns Hopkins first,  then Margerie.  Depends on what other ships is in the Bay and on the Captain. 

Watch for bears on the shore opposite Margerie and for white mountain goats in the vicinity of Gloomy Knob: scan for white dots and then get out the binoculars.  Seals and sea lions on North and South Marble Islands are a treat. The Zuiderdam Captain sailed very close on the way out.    The map HAL hands out  the night before is very good.

• Like 1

I try to be up on the Sports Deck way before the ship enters Glacier Bay.....it's one of my prime spots for whales, sea otters, orcas, and seals, etc.  There was a coastal brown bear walking along the shore just after the naturalists started their narrative.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rodndonna said:

That was planning! I too was thinking how did he heat it up. Fortunately, we're in a Neptune suite so we have an espresso/coffee machine in our room.😊 I'm packing shelf stable oatmilk and a flavored syrup or two (in glass bottles of course so they don't get confiscated), along with a travel mug so I can get my coffee started before I even leave my cabin 😁. Thanks for the heads up though on the EC opening hours.

I'm not sure of the exact time that we arrived but it must have been around 12:30-1:00 PM at the approach to Margerie Glacier on our Eurodam cruise in early June. Hope you have sunny weather as it was cloudy for us. Our previous visits here have always been clear and sunny.

IMG_7687.JPG

IMG_7704.JPG

IMG_7701.JPG

IMG_7699.JPG

IMG_7698.JPG

IMG_7706.JPG

IMG_7695.JPG

IMG_7675.JPG

• Like 2