Live from Silver Muse 6/30/22 Seward to Vancouver

gcornell

The grill has table service. Regarding food, I have picky kids so our options are limited. So far we have eaten at Indochine, La Terezza and The Grill. Tonight is Altantide.  Food has been good not great although most guests seem happy with it. Desserts have been the biggest disappointment but theirs always homemade ice cream.  One gripe is they only have 2 omelette chefs in the morning and it’s been taking about 20 min to get a simple omelette so had to adjust our start time earlier when we have tours. 

• Like 1

Today was Sitka and my Son and I did the Remote Fly Fishing ($329pp)  which lasted from 8:45am to very last tender at 3:45.  Silversea marks it as strenuous but it’s should have a special warning. It’s exhausting but worth it.   Hiked for about 2 miles and walking through the river was not easy.  Still had a blast and caught a few small ones (disappointing) but hoping the salmon fishing tomorrow lands and big one. 

Did not get a chance to see the town. 

This excursion is has very limited space, 6, so book first day it becomes available. 

8B36726D-51E8-4498-AAE4-CFFDE658FB0B.jpeg

C5BA5030-2D06-429B-B391-6F118E67FD40.jpeg

• Like 6

Update to my comments regarding Covid and the fact that I’ve heard nothing of it since we boarded. Talked to some guests today and their friends weren’t feeling well so they went to the medic and tested positive so they have to quarantine in their original stateroom. In addition, I guess he gave them the names of close contacts (at meals) and those people have to get tested as well.  No announcements from the crew. 

• Thanks 1

Pics of the schedule for Ketchikan below.  

Also, I have finally figured out the dress code for men which you can see in the attached Chronicals. 

Informal - Jackets are required in Atlantide to walk in the restaurant. Once you are seated you can take off and put on your chair. 

Formal (none on Alaska or expedition cruises) - jacket and tie required for men. 

CC05DFBA-5660-4B44-BB7D-FF5B9BF1EEA5.jpeg

03ADBBD3-51B2-4C79-B9D9-F45B85E0C896.jpeg

8EFF02CB-F8B9-41E8-91BA-24210F402ED6.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gcornell said:

Correction. I was wrong about jackets. Just walked into altantide and jackets are required to walk to your table.  They have a small supply. Sorry. 

I was about ready to skip the jacket and your post now has me taking the garment bag.   Looks like you have had great weather preceding a forecast of total rain next week.

Thanks for your posts/pics......very helpful.    Deserts have been forever tasteless and I'd say the same for ice cream when they were buying San Bernadino brand.  

Any chance of asking what they expect for passenger count next segment?

Glad to help. I’ll try to ask this morning. Weather has been outstanding starting with Denali. We saw Denali for the entire train ride on day 1. Looked so close but was so far. Other days started foggy but bright sunshine by mid morning. Don’t worry, we had the same raining forecast when I looked last week. In Sitka, they had a band playing at the pool mid afternoon and got a little busy with even adults swimming. Sun was warm. Air cool. 

We are in 734/736 which is right next to elevator and laundry and you do not hear anything. Ever. From the side, up or down. Nothing. It is nice having the laundry right there as we pack really, really light. 4 people, 2 half filled suit cases. We just get up in morning and throw in a load first thing. Here is what it looks like. 

18FE26CE-BCD9-4262-9F7B-B00738CE538E.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gcornell said:

Today was Sitka and my Son and I did the Remote Fly Fishing ($329pp)  which lasted from 8:45am to very last tender at 3:45.  Silversea marks it as strenuous but it’s should have a special warning. It’s exhausting but worth it.  

Great that your cruise visited Sitka and had a exclusive excursion.  In 2019, we had a wonderful stop in Sitka.  Lots of history and great sights/sites there.  Most cruises do not have stops in Sitka.  Keep up the great postings and sharings.  Like the picture postings.  

Look forward to seeing and reading more. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 70,109 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Ketchikan.  First cloudy day of the trip. About 4-5 ships in port.  Heading out to do the Sport Fishing ($209pp) while wife and daughter do the lumberjack show (included excursion). 

AD90689F-4F98-41EA-9A7C-ACD8DABBA563.jpeg

• Like 2

Just finished up the Sport Fishing. My Son got a Salmon so he was very happy but I would be hesitant to recommend this excision.  They have 6 guests and 4 rods. I didn’t touch a rod the entire trip despite paying for fishing and the license.  Captain was great. 

40C1A1A7-3DF6-47A8-874B-20F321AAB8E6.jpeg

• Like 5

Sorry, six guests and four rods is completely unacceptable.  i would speak to the shorex department and get a credit.  How does a cruiseline sell a fishing excursion and then contract with a fishing boat with not enough fishing tackle?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So I did stop by Shorex to talk about my disappointment and the employee actually argued with me that since it was a group tour I shouldn’t have expected to have a rod to myself. If I wanted to fish for the entire tour, I should have booked a private tour.  Oh boy!  Now in addition to be disappointed I am insulted.  Waiting for manager to call me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisr said:

Sorry, six guests and four rods is completely unacceptable.  How does a cruiseline sell a fishing excursion and then contract with a fishing boat with not enough fishing tackle?

Maybe two guests lost their rods overboard last week! 😉

Unless the excursion description described that you would be sharing a rod with others on the tour, and only fishing part of the time, I think they owe you a refund. 

Edited by cruiseej
  • Thanks 1

Agreed. The very nice Shorex manager just came to my cabin and understood my concern 100%.  Didn’t make sense to her either and she is refunding my portion and said she will limit it to 4 guests going forward.  As I mentioned to her, even if it cost a little more it’s not like SS guests can’t afford another $100 to actually fish the entire time. 🤪

• Like 6

We had a similar disappointment in Wrangell when we had paid over £700 for 2 for the Annan creek excursion only to find out later that it was at least a week before any bears would be there. Shorex looked at us with contempt. They kept our £758 but lost our future cruises. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Took me 6 nights but finally figured it out. There are 3 levels of Dress Code:

Casual: See pic below

Informal: Jacket required for men except 

Formal: Jacket and tie required for men

A0FF00E1-6EF0-445E-9FB9-5514A46CE5C1.jpeg

1F492A4A-1B8C-41BF-84E6-670BD9D408CF.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for posting the liquor selection shot - can I ask you to stop by again (now there’s an imposition stopping by a bar) and check what the gin is between the Hendricks and the Tanqueray? It’s a good selection of gins - just wondering what that one at the back is 
Thanks

C71EF4BA-2205-48AE-91D9-A3F83BCEB4D2.thumb.jpeg.1d5728cdf83c1508b229a054d542b37a.jpeg

On 7/5/2022 at 3:07 PM, gcornell said:

Glad to help. I’ll try to ask this morning. Weather has been outstanding starting with Denali. We saw Denali for the entire train ride on day 1. Looked so close but was so far. Other days started foggy but bright sunshine by mid morning. Don’t worry, we had the same raining forecast when I looked last week. In Sitka, they had a band playing at the pool mid afternoon and got a little busy with even adults swimming. Sun was warm. Air cool. 

We are in 734/736 which is right next to elevator and laundry and you do not hear anything. Ever. From the side, up or down. Nothing. It is nice having the laundry right there as we pack really, really light. 4 people, 2 half filled suit cases. We just get up in morning and throw in a load first thing. Here is what it looks like. 

18FE26CE-BCD9-4262-9F7B-B00738CE538E.jpeg

That's a big Microwave!