Canada New England Cruise

Trela1234

We booked a Canada, New England cruise for September 2023, in addition to our yearly Bermuda cruise. I’m not sure how to ask this without offending anyone, but what type of cruisers can we expect on a Canada New England Cruise? Put a different way, when we cruise, we take full advantage of the drink package (without being obnoxious), and like to go to the sail away party, theme parties, etc. In my mind, there isn’t as much partying on a Canada cruise vs. a Bermuda cruise (or a Bahamas cruise). Am I right, or can I still expect a festive atmosphere on the Canada, New England cruise? Regardless, we will still have fun because we love cruising! Thank you. 

4 minutes ago, Trela1234 said:

We booked a Canada, New England cruise for September 2023, in addition to our yearly Bermuda cruise. I’m not sure how to ask this without offending anyone, but what type of cruisers can we expect on a Canada New England Cruise? Put a different way, when we cruise, we take full advantage of the drink package (without being obnoxious), and like to go to the sail away party, theme parties, etc. In my mind, there isn’t as much partying on a Canada cruise vs. a Bermuda cruise (or a Bahamas cruise). Am I right, or can I still expect a festive atmosphere on the Canada, New England cruise? Regardless, we will still have fun because we love cruising! Thank you. 

The cruise is still fun. But, the demographic will be significantly older. 

• Like 3

We did Canada/New England in Oct 2018 and had a great time.  Obviously, due to the time of year the pool side was not as hopping as it would be in the Caribbean, but every where else was, well, a cruise-like atmosphere: lots of fun to be had.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trela1234 said:

As Bird said, should be an older group, since kids will be back in school.The later in the month you cruise, the colder it may get the further north you go. So could limit outdoor activities. Not sure how full your cruise will be, but historically the Boston to Quebec/Quebec to Boston and the Boston to northern New England/Nova Scotia/PEI and return cruises all sail at capacity. NCL keeps adding additional cruises to these ports each year, as they are so popular and command higher fares.

The vibe could be mellow, or you could have a shipload of "rockin oldies". Time will tell!!

Yes the kiddies would be back in school - so a more non-Disney mature cruise. 

Weather will be a big factor - you would be sailing in coastal North Atlantic ocean waters

with lingering after effects of Caribbean hurricanes.

Some ports maybe cancelled or delayed due to fog and tides.

Early autumn visits are recommended over end of season cruises -

But take what you can book.

Clothing dress warmly in layers - outer layer rain moisture proof -

Unless the weather is downright nasty to the "n"th degree nor'easter 

don't let that hold you back from shore excursions and DIY ventures.

A B2B the outer leg maybe perfect - but beware the return weather

may change in that short a time.

In every respect take this cruise and enjoy it !

• Like 1

I've done this itinerary twice, and will be doing it again on the Joy in October.  As others have stated, you're not going to see a lot of kids on the cruise.  Part of this is because they'll be in school but there also aren't a lot of ports that would especially appeal to them.  No ziplining or swimming with pigs, dolphins, etc. and the opportunity to swim or sun oneself on the pool deck will be more limited than the Caribbean or Bermuda routes (the hot tubs will be hopping, though!)  So the average and median age will necessarily skew older but by no means elderly.  There are one or two bar crawl-type excursions and, of course, the Moosehead tour.  I suspect you'll have no trouble finding people at the bars 🙂

This itinerary appeals to a lot of folks (myself included) simply because it's convenient for people in the "Amtrak corridor," especially as flying has become something of a pain.  Looking at the roll calls for my sailing here and elsewhere, it's disproportionately NY/PA/NJ/DE.  I suspect a lot of us are going for the ship at least as much as the ports though some of the ports can be fun if you haven't done them before.

• Like 1

We'll be on the Joy this September headed to Canada. My folks are joining us as well (in their own separate cabin), and while they're planning on doing the Anne of Green Gables and various other low-key tours, we're planning on bar hopping as often and frequent as we can. With any cruise, it's as fun as you make it be.

Our enjoyment doesn't depend on our fellow travelers, and we've been able to make friends from all walks of life and age groups when we were in the mood for making friends. Or, just keep to ourselves when we didn't and invent our own fun.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2022 at 8:21 PM, Trela1234 said:

A couple of years ago on the Gem to Canada/NE it was a more relaxed vibe, an older demographic and participation in some of the organized activities and bars seemed a bit more subdued.  

We also  sailed on the Escape with the same itinerary and it too had a slant to an older demographic but seemed much more festive with regards to participation in bars, theme parties, etc.

Our group consisted of middle aged and seniors.  

Both cruises were great.   

• 5 weeks later...

Interested in this conversation! We are trying to decide about a NCL New England or one of their Bermuda cruises...We've done quite a bit of their Caribbean and Mexico and we just did Alaska in early July which we loved...So looking for something different! 

6 minutes ago, etravel said:

Interested in this conversation! We are trying to decide about a NCL New England or one of their Bermuda cruises...We've done quite a bit of their Caribbean and Mexico and we just did Alaska in early July which we loved...So looking for something different! 

I'm going on the Oct 9 Breakaway from NYC, my spouse and I are around 40 and we attend the deck parties and nightlife. Hopefully we won't be the only ones! 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, etravel said:

I'd do Canada/New England if you're looking for something different.  Bermuda is nice and I'd go back there, but if you've done a bunch of Caribbean/Mexico it will feel similar.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Shrike said:

I'd do Canada/New England if you're looking for something different.  Bermuda is nice and I'd go back there, but if you've done a bunch of Caribbean/Mexico it will feel similar.

Thanks Shrike..I appreciate that! Good point!

why not bermuda AND new england/canada?

book a back-to-back cruise!

there's a 9/1 departure on the joy out of new york to bermuda for five days, combinable with the first of the ten-day cruises on the joy to new england and canada, departing 9/6.

• Like 1