How to improvise a 2 ft. dowel from something in my stateroom? (or the Viking ship?)

SempreMare

Hot air balloon crash landed in Holland --> left shoulder rotator cuff full-width tear --> surgical repair in the US completed

During upcoming cruise, I'd like to maintain physical therapy but will need something like a dowel to do the shoulder abduction exercise shown below. 
Am currently using a 2' "dressing stick" from Amazon. (Such a handy tool - I became pretty fast with taking on and off shirts 1-handed even though my left shoulder was almost 100% immobile) 

Any ideas on what I could use like a dowel  or press stick from the stateroom?  Or something I could ask for from the crew?  
It doesn't really need to have the top of the "T" part.  It can just be a stick.   

image.thumb.png.ac3289367816ef3c80d8dee995c9d401.png
image.thumb.png.45fa257dba0880799c1cba3bb519a9d7.png

Life pro tips:  
  • When people get under stress, they revert to their native language.   I knew when the other 15 people in the basket went from speaking calm English during the serene part to speaking fast Dutch at a higher pitch that we were in trouble during descent.   At least we missed the big 'canal' that ring'd the farm.

• If an anesthesiologist asks you, "Would you like a nerve block installed?"  Best answer = "Yes please."   
    auto-injected Ropivicaine every 15 seconds for 3 days after surgery = magic.

• Like 2

Just bring your dressing stick.  My first pair of trekking poles were 25" long and they would fit diagonally in my checked luggage.  Bag total dimensions equalled the 62" max required by airlines before bag is considered oversize.  I did buy a smaller pair that fits lengthwise in checked luggage, into carry on or in my backpack for excursions.

I would ask Viking directly; they know best what they can dig up from the unseen depth of their stores.  When you have something out of the ordinary to contend with don't even bother with the phone center or chat. Start with an e-mail to tellus@vikingcruises.com. Include your booking number and your phone number.

BTW, one fellow member, in a thread now deleted for some unknown reason, suggested a sling for travel, not because you might need it but because it signals to all that see you that there is an issue with your shoulder/arm and they will be less likely to do something they shouldn't.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Hot air balloon crash landed in Holland --> left shoulder rotator cuff full-width tear --> surgical repair in the US completed

During upcoming cruise, I'd like to maintain physical therapy but will need something like a dowel to do the shoulder abduction exercise shown below. 
Am currently using a 2' "dressing stick" from Amazon. (Such a handy tool - I became pretty fast with taking on and off shirts 1-handed even though my left shoulder was almost 100% immobile) 

Any ideas on what I could use like a dowel  or press stick from the stateroom?  Or something I could ask for from the crew?  
It doesn't really need to have the top of the "T" part.  It can just be a stick.   

image.thumb.png.ac3289367816ef3c80d8dee995c9d401.png
image.thumb.png.45fa257dba0880799c1cba3bb519a9d7.png

Life pro tips:  
  • When people get under stress, they revert to their native language.   I knew when the other 15 people in the basket went from speaking calm English during the serene part to speaking fast Dutch at a higher pitch that we were in trouble during descent.   At least we missed the big 'canal' that ring'd the farm.

• If an anesthesiologist asks you, "Would you like a nerve block installed?"  Best answer = "Yes please."   
    auto-injected Ropivicaine every 15 seconds for 3 days after surgery = magic.

Had same surgery and my therapists use a golf club for that exercise. Not sure if there are any on a Viking cruises but worth asking? 

• Thanks 1

Have you asked your PT if there are alternative exercises that require no, or different equipment?  My PT was able to put together exercises for what I could easily find on a ship, or could easily pack.

1 hour ago, gr8-2travel said:

Had same surgery and my therapists use a golf club for that exercise. Not sure if there are any on a Viking cruises but worth asking? 

Should be for the miniature golf course. 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 1:48 AM, SempreMare said:

I had shoulder replacement surgery last winter; I was given a nerve block, which kept me completely pain-free for 6 days, at which point it wore off.

Pain then still wasn't that bad. I highly recommend the surgery to anyone suffering from chronic shoulder pain.

On the Viking Mars we accidentally found that one of the closet clothes bars came off surprisingly easily and just might work for your purposes if you don't mind rehanging your clothes each time.

On 7/7/2022 at 1:02 PM, Mich3554 said:

Have you asked your PT if there are alternative exercises that require no, or different equipment?  My PT was able to put together exercises for what I could easily find on a ship, or could easily pack.

Good point; I used a belt to do the exercise where I had to pull my arm up behind my back, and then I brought a variety of rubber therabands, which are easily anchored in the sliding veranda door. 

Best of all was getting in the pool; there are so many things that can be safely done in the water, an I took advantage of the stern pool at every opportunity.

• Like 1

The ship's carpenters or the fitters in the engine room should be able to come up with a cut off mop handle, or 1" PVC pipe section.  Ask guest services, and maybe a tenner to the guy who delivers it (he made it).

• Like 3

On 7/7/2022 at 9:34 PM, ssaxsma said:

The umbrella in the closet ought to do the trick. 

I think this will be the easiest answer!   Didn't realize there would be an umbrella in closet.  

Many thanks to everyone who offered ideas.  🤗

• Like 1