Tuscan Grille vs Tuscan Restaurant

2chiefs

So, there is no Tuscan Grille on the Edge class. They do however have a Tuscan Restaurant as one of their 4 MDR's on Edge class.

Out of curiosity, does the Tuscan Restaurant menus have anything in common with the Tuscan Grille? Has anyone eaten in both restaurants to offer a comparison?

For instance, does Tuscan Restaurant make all home-made pastas like Tuscan Grille does?

Thanks

12 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

So, there is no Tuscan Grille on the Edge class. They do however have a Tuscan Restaurant as one of their 4 MDR's on Edge class.

Out of curiosity, does the Tuscan Restaurant menus have anything in common with the Tuscan Grille? Has anyone eaten in both restaurants to offer a comparison?

For instance, does Tuscan Restaurant make all home-made pastas like Tuscan Grille does?

Thanks

The Tuscan Restaurant is an "MDR" if you will.  Along with Cyprus, Normandie and Cosmopolitan - they have taken the "MDR" concept and split it into 4 'different' restaurants.  The decor differs between them, and they have 'exclusives' that remain the same throughout every cruise but that's only a few dishes.  Otherwise, the bulk of the menu is identical in each of the 4 restaurants each night but changes every night, just like an MDR menu.

The Tuscan Grille is a specialty restaurant and is over and above the 'included' MDR concept above.

• Like 1

Yes, we have eaten at both.  The Tuscan Restaurant on the E-class ships is one of 4 that comprise the MDR.  As a result, the majority of the dishes served are the dishes served in all the MDR’s.  There is a section in each of the 4 that offers “exclusives “ to that restaurant.  We ate at Tuscan on Apex 3 or 4 times last fall (14 night cruise) and will be on Beyond this October.  I notice on the app that the exclusives on the Beyond are not identical to the Apex.  However, each had 2 pasta entrees.  You didn’t indicate on which ship you’re booked, but I would suggest going to the app, even if your cruise is not yet on the app you can check dining on another cruise on the ship.  Go to dining, MDR, select Tuscan and check the “Tuscan Exclusives “ section of each course.  You’ll find 3 starters, 3 entrees and 1 dessert.  Decor-wise, Tuscan was one of my 2 favorites.

On 7/11/2022 at 4:19 PM, WorkerBee74 said:

The Tuscan Restaurant is an "MDR" if you will.  Along with Cyprus, Normandie and Cosmopolitan - they have taken the "MDR" concept and split it into 4 'different' restaurants.  The decor differs between them, and they have 'exclusives' that remain the same throughout every cruise but that's only a few dishes.  Otherwise, the bulk of the menu is identical in each of the 4 restaurants each night but changes every night, just like an MDR menu.

The Tuscan Grille is a specialty restaurant and is over and above the 'included' MDR concept above.

I understood and knew all that. I was hoping someone that has gone to both might be able to tell if there were any similarities on the Tuscan side of the menu. I realize it's MDR and many selections are on all four restaurant menus. But there are some differences which I was hoping someone could comment on.

Also, does anyone know if we can specify a specific MDR as our traditional dining choice. On the Celebrity website It sounds like they will assign it. (Yes, I know you can go to the other MDR's on a space available basis if on traditional dining)

Thanks

On 7/11/2022 at 4:22 PM, bama4cruisin said:

Yes, we have eaten at both.  The Tuscan Restaurant on the E-class ships is one of 4 that comprise the MDR.  As a result, the majority of the dishes served are the dishes served in all the MDR’s.  There is a section in each of the 4 that offers “exclusives “ to that restaurant.  We ate at Tuscan on Apex 3 or 4 times last fall (14 night cruise) and will be on Beyond this October.  I notice on the app that the exclusives on the Beyond are not identical to the Apex.  However, each had 2 pasta entrees.  You didn’t indicate on which ship you’re booked, but I would suggest going to the app, even if your cruise is not yet on the app you can check dining on another cruise on the ship.  Go to dining, MDR, select Tu!scan and check the “Tuscan Exclusives “ section of each course.  You’ll find 3 starters, 3 entrees and 1 dessert.  Decor-wise, Tuscan was one of my 2 favorites.

Thanks a lot. We are booked on the Beyond for Christmas 2023. A long way off!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

No, the Tuscan Grille specialty restaurant on ships other than Edge Class does not have any menu items in common with the Tuscan MDR on E Class. 

Yeah we knew that

On 7/11/2022 at 4:03 PM, 2chiefs said:

does the Tuscan Restaurant menus have anything in common with the Tuscan Grille?

11 hours ago, helen haywood said:

No, the Tuscan Grille specialty restaurant on ships other than Edge Class does not have any menu items in common with the Tuscan MDR on E Class. 

10 hours ago, 2chiefs said:

Yeah we knew that

You specifically asked that question.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/11/2022 at 1:03 PM, 2chiefs said:

Out of curiosity, does the Tuscan Restaurant menus have anything in common with the Tuscan Grille?

No.

Has anyone eaten in both restaurants to offer a comparison?

Yes, E-Class Tuscan mirrors any MDR.

No, they do not make their own pasta, the E-Class Tuscan isn't a "secret"/free specialty restaurant; it is a MDR.

We have eaten in both many times.  Tuscan Restaurant which is not the specialty dining venue is very similar to a MDR with very few Italian dishes added to the standard non-specialty dining rooms. These dining rooms are on the Apex, Edge and Beyond and each dining room is very nicely decorated.  Tuscan Grille has a different menu totally and you pay extra for the food and atmosphere.  Do enjoy going there and willing to pay to just experience something different after dining in the standard MDR each night.

It seams celebrity could have named it better , not to confuse passengers.

i find it a little strange that Celebrity Edge class doesn’t have a Italian specialty restaurant.

Edited by George C
  • Like 2

I'll share some interesting facts with Italian food and fresh vs dried pasta in Italy...Italian food in Italy is quite different in America, many Americans find that authentic Italy food tastes bland since they aren't "garlic bombs".  In Italy, except for a few dishes, they don't add meat to their pasta dishes, pasta is served like a side dish.  In Italy, the dish of Spaghetti and meatballs with red sauce simply doesn't exist.

In Italy, dried and fresh pasta are made with different flour and is a different recipe.  They generally use dried pasta cooked al dente or slightly undercooked with a "bite" to it for the majority of their pasta dishes.  They use fresh pasta for things like tortellini or ravioli.

12 minutes ago, George C said:

i find it a little strange that Celebrity Edge class doesn’t have a Italian specialty restaurant.

With the name, my WAG (Wild A$$ Guess), X felt "Tuscan" is the most Italian sounding location.  Think if they called it Rome, Pisa, Florence, etc., none have the same ring to it as Tuscan.  Example, "For dinner tonight do you want to try the MDR Rome?"

With the elimination of the Italian specialty restaurant, it's one of the least booked specialty restaurants.  Many on this board have stated that it should NOT be a specialty restaurant.  It's also often discounted in the cruise planner which is telling.

21 hours ago, George C said:

The Edge class MDR names were all chosen as a callouts to Celebrity's history. Cyprus for the line's Greek heritage, Normandie for the wall panels from the ocean liner/the specialty restaurant formerly on the Summit, etc.

Lots of the Tuscan Grill menu leans towards the "grill" side of things, so replacing it with Fine Cut on the Edge class was almost a no-brainer, especially with the demographic Celebrity is aiming for. TBH, we've found Fine Cut to be one of (if not the best) steakhouses at sea... exponentially better than anything on Royal, NCL or Princess. 

Now, if we could just get the original Qsine menu back I'd be a happy camper. 

54 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

The Edge class MDR names were all chosen as a callouts to Celebrity's history. Cyprus for the line's Greek heritage, Normandie for the wall panels from the ocean liner/the specialty restaurant formerly on the Summit, etc.

Lots of the Tuscan Grill menu leans towards the "grill" side of things, so replacing it with Fine Cut on the Edge class was almost a no-brainer, especially with the demographic Celebrity is aiming for. TBH, we've found Fine Cut to be one of (if not the best) steakhouses at sea... exponentially better than anything on Royal, NCL or Princess. 

Now, if we could just get the original Qsine menu back I'd be a happy camper. 

I agree on Fine Cut, went there twice last year prime rib was excellent.