Amsterdam Hotel recommendations

We just got off of the Apex a couple weeks ago leaving from Amsterdam.   We stayed at the doubletree central.   Very easy walk from train station (even with luggage), and overlooks central area with canals, etc.      We also walked to the ship from the hotel, however, I would recommend walking without your luggage first the morning of your cruise.   It is only 15 minute walk, but a dry run without luggage worked well for us.   The ship  isn't as straight forward walk as train station, etc.      The hotel itself was very nice.  

If you use the search option, you will find plenty of hotels mentioned. Much depends if you want to be close to the terminal, or more close to e.g. museums etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, SandyR5 said:

Hi Ashland. Hope you enjoy it. 

Thank you so much...but I just read your other post and feel so bad for you.

I'm so stressed out now !!!!

I know. We were so stressed too just thinking about getting tested. We had 9:00 appointments and our car service was coming at noon. BUT, I woke up 2 days before with a sore throat and head cold so decided to get tested then. I’m just thankful we were still home. 

16 minutes ago, SandyR5 said:

I know. We were so stressed too just thinking about getting tested. We had 9:00 appointments and our car service was coming at noon. BUT, I woke up 2 days before with a sore throat and head cold so decided to get tested then. I’m just thankful we were still home. 

Oh...I understand now you were still home. I thought you were already in Amsterdam. 

We're feeling fine and have done the at home test our self  and test neg. I'm just worried about getting there and then testing positive right before we board the ship.

We used the Ibis hotel-Central area.  Clean, modern small rooms but good enough for 2 nights pre cruise.  Location was great.  Next door to the train station, close to canals, shopping, restaurants.  We could have walked to the pier but my travel partner was having big knee issues so we took a taxi instead.  Reasonable room rate.

• 2 weeks later...

Banks Mansion couldn't have been better....just an amazing location. Would absolutely stay there again but doubtful I would after experiencing the mess at AMS. Three hours in line just to get out of this airport !!!

On 8/4/2022 at 10:27 PM, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

Im sorry you had such a horrible time in Amsterdam. I hope you at least enjoyed your cruise. 

I didn't have a "horrible" time in Amsterdam !! We enjoyed our 3 days pre-cruise. It was trying to get out of the airport that was the problem over 3 hours...crazy !!!.

Luckily leaving through Schiphol was so much easier than we had anticipated...could have made an earlier than 2:30pm flight but the horror stories led me to be cautious and book an afternoon flight.

On 8/4/2022 at 10:32 AM, Ashland said:

Banks Mansion couldn't have been better....just an amazing location. Would absolutely stay there again but doubtful I would after experiencing the mess at AMS. Three hours in line just to get out of this airport !!!

Hello, I will be flying into AMS in Sept.  Would I have an easier time if I have only carry on bags?  I am thinking one small roller and one backpack.

4 hours ago, lynelz1 said:

Hello, I will be flying into AMS in Sept.  Would I have an easier time if I have only carry on bags?  I am thinking one small roller and one backpack.

Yes it will be easier. However check with your airline, many of them are very strict about having just 1 item. Unless you fly business class. 

5 hours ago, lynelz1 said:

It appeared that regardless of having carry on only would have made any difference as everyone had to stand in that same line to go through customs. So the only advantage you would have is not having to get your checked bag...which wasn't what took so much time since our luggage had plenty of time to get there during the approx 3 hours it took us to get to it. 

So, do what would be easier on you to handle and navigate...but do check with your airlines and be aware that luggage bins may be at a premium considering how full flights are. Best of luck.

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

It appeared that regardless of having carry on only would have made any difference as everyone had to stand in that same line to go through customs. So the only advantage you would have is not having to get your checked bag...which wasn't what took so much time since our luggage had plenty of time to get there during the approx 3 hours it took us to get to it. 

So, do what would be easier on you to handle and navigate...but do check with your airlines and be aware that luggage bins may be at a premium considering how full flights are. Best of luck.

Thank you.  I am able to have one personal item, one carryon and one checked bag but if luggage is not getting lost at AMS, I may risk the checked bag.  3 hours for customs...wow.  Is any of that time spent on vaccine/  covid checks?   I fly in on a Wednesday late morning mid September so hoping for fewer holiday travelers.

8 hours ago, lynelz1 said:

Thank you.  I am able to have one personal item, one carryon and one checked bag but if luggage is not getting lost at AMS, I may risk the checked bag.  3 hours for customs...wow.  Is any of that time spent on vaccine/  covid checks?   I fly in on a Wednesday late morning mid September so hoping for fewer holiday travelers.

No, none of that arrival time was spent on covid checks/vaccine they didn't even ask... It was just standing in line to get through customs. Hopefully things will be better by the time you travel through Schiphol.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 6:34 PM, Ashland said:

I didn't have a "horrible" time in Amsterdam !! We enjoyed our 3 days pre-cruise. It was trying to get out of the airport that was the problem over 3 hours...crazy !!!.

Luckily leaving through Schiphol was so much easier than we had anticipated...could have made an earlier than 2:30pm flight but the horror stories led me to be cautious and book an afternoon flight.

What took 3 hours? Getting luggage? Customs? Immigration?

54 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

What took 3 hours? Getting luggage? Customs? Immigration?

All of the above...mainly standing in the loooong line that wound it's way through the main terminal  and be allowed to go down the steps to the lower floor where customs was....It was crazy !!!

Lots of people like to recommend staying near the cruise port but there really isnt any point to that. The cruise port area is not very attractive and your view out your window might be of a warehouse or overlooking the train station. Amsterdam is so small also that you can get from any hotel to the port very quickly. You without a doubt want to stay somewhere more scenic in Amsterdam so you get a feel for the city, preferably overlooking one of the canals.  We stayed at the Ambassade which was terrific and the location couldn't have been better. Its a boutique hotel overlooking the herengracht canal which is deemed by locals as the prettiest canal in the city. Breakfast served every morning in the restaurant overlooking the canal. Uber from here to the cruise port was 9 dollars. We were there for 3 nights and were able to walk everywhere. 10 minute walk to Anne Frank house, 10 minute walk to Red light, 10 minute walk to museums. We were torn between this and the Banks mansion which looked really nice as well. Just dont stay near the cruise port, it has a totally different feel in that area.

Ps - we flew into AMS in late July and were off the plane, through customs,  retrieved both of our checked bags and in an Uber in less than 20 minutes. It couldnt have been any smoother.

Edited by XuGator
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, XuGator said:

Lots of people like to recommend staying near the cruise port but there really isnt any point to that. The cruise port area is not very attractive and your view out your window might be of a warehouse or overlooking the train station. Amsterdam is so small also that you can get from any hotel to the port very quickly. You without a doubt want to stay somewhere more scenic in Amsterdam so you get a feel for the city, preferably overlooking one of the canals.  We stayed at the Ambassade which was terrific and the location couldn't have been better. Its a boutique hotel overlooking the herengracht canal which is deemed by locals as the prettiest canal in the city. Breakfast served every morning in the restaurant overlooking the canal. Uber from here to the cruise port was 9 dollars. We were there for 3 nights and was able to walk everywhere. 10 minute walk to Anne Frank house, 10 minute walk to Red light, 10 minute walk to museums. We were torn between this and the Banks mansion which looked really nice as well. Just dont stay near the cruise port, it has a totally different feel in that area.

We considered this hotel also but opted for the Banks Mansion. Sounds like we were both happy with our choices. The all inclusive at the Banks was very impressive as was the location.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ashland said:

We considered this hotel also but opted for the Banks Mansion. Sounds like we were both happy with our choices. The all inclusive at the Banks was very impressive as was the location.

Yep we were 50/50 between ours and banks. I liked how the Banks offered drinks and snacks all day long which ours did not. Im sure that was a nice perk

2 minutes ago, XuGator said:

Yep we were 50/50 between ours and banks. I liked how the Banks offered drinks and snacks all day long which ours did not. Im sure that was a nice perk

Yes...It was. The bar set up in the lobby was just amazing and the snacks,sodas and juice. Our room had drinks set up also....and the cooked to order breakfast was just wonderful. We had an amazing view of the canal from our corner front suite. Will definitely stay there again.