Direct Booking or Not

david63

First time with SS.

What, if any, are the pros and cons of booking direct with SS as opposed to booking through an agent?

I know the rules on here don't allow to mention agents which is why I am just looking for the benefits one way or the other and not for specific agents.

You should choose what your most comfortable with. 

For over a decade we have treasured our Travel Agent who has the scale (amount of bookings with Silversea) to seamlessly handle all our requests (suite, Air, discounts).  In addition to Ship Board Credits through their travel consortium we get at least 10% cash back a few weeks before sailing.  When you're booking six figures of cruises over the years this is significant savings vs direct booking with Silversea or booking with Travel Agents who do not rebate.

And remember it's not just the price point and/or credits you receive from Silversea Travel Advisors or Travel Agents it's service before, during, and after your cruise.

On the last Silver Cloud voyage (March 2020, Ushuaia to Cape town) during the start of Covid, we were stuck off Cape town for five days (the South Africa government fearful of Covid refuse to let us dock until day five).  At day one many guests asked the Silver Cloud reception to help them change their Air arrangements (those of us who had included BC air).  Silver Air was swamped getting World Cruisers home from Australia and Silver Shadow cruisers home from South America.  So Reception told guests they would have to wait 4-5 days.  Our Travel Agent on day one purchased Business Class air home from Cape town at their expense.  This is a sterling example of service during the cruise.

We have had our Travel Agent surprise us once on board with VIP status ( before we earned free laundry) and received free laundry and dry cleaning, early boarding (11 am vs noon (vs now 2pm post Covid), premium champagne, et. al.  Our Agent also insured (on another line) when we went from Gold to Platinum, we received these benefits on boarding when the cruise line balked until after our voyage.

We have done both direct and external travel agent/agency bookings.  The one or two cruises booked directly with SS were handled well and we can’t complain about the service.   That said we had previously been booking our cruises with external agents and after our first SS cruises we went back to external agent.  Why?  Simply money.  Our agent gives us what I consider significant benefits by booking with her.  We have never had an issue or problem with her.   She has been responsive and supportive.  We are what I would consider experienced business and personal travelers and ask very little from our agent other than booking the cruise.  We are used to booking our own flights, hotels, transfers, rental cars, etc.  It is not a burden for us and we actually enjoy researching, planning, and scheduling our travel.

I can’t think of any advantages of booking directly with SS but the advantages are numerous with booking with a trusted TA.  Hotel discounts, perks and amenities.  Helping with air searches and booking without a fee and then following your progress throughout your trip.  Complimentary private tours and OBC.  And just saving time because I can email or speak to my TA about multiple trips.  Also, I don’t get stuck on hold or waste time waiting for email responses.  My TA is on it!  She has also traveled extensively and can offer he invaluable opinion on destinations, insurance and itineraries.  When things go wrong, she complains to the cruiseline, hotel or tour company and extracts maximum compensation.  All this at no charge to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

A friend told me last week that Silversea won't give any discounts or ship credits (as TAs give) anymore.  I used to book with Silversea cruise consultant and always got a credit to use in the spa, boutique, premium scotch, etc.  If this is true, I will go back to the travel agency I used a few years ago that gives credits and a rebate and an onboard cocktail party (not that cocktails are hard to find on the ship!!).  

In fact, maybe I will take my friend's advice to sail Oceania.