Cruise insurance for 75 + ?

I've just discovered that my credit card travel insurance cuts out at 76 years.  So my 2023 cruise won't cover me.  Would appreciate some suggestions for Australian travel insurance companies that allow someone of my "advanced" years to cruise, including cover for Covid.  I don't want an annual policy, just one for this specific voyage next March.

19 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I've just discovered that my credit card travel insurance cuts out at 76 years.  So my 2023 cruise won't cover me.  Would appreciate some suggestions for Australian travel insurance companies that allow someone of my "advanced" years to cruise, including cover for Covid.  I don't want an annual policy, just one for this specific voyage next March.

Our westpac card complimtary insurance cut out at 80, well the 80th year was covered til 81.

we have insured with 1Cover which covers covid. My husband is 83 and they cover cruising in Australia so round Australia is covered. They are not currently covering 80 yr up for international anything. not just cruising.

We are going to use racv for our trip one month trip to South Africa  Nov to Dec this year, which doesn’t involve cruise. 
covermore is also ok for covering cruise and your age group

Edited by Cbtours
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

Our westpac card complimtary insurance cut out at 80, well the 80th year was covered til 81.

we have insured with 1Cover which covers covid. My husband is 83 and they cover cruising in Australia so round Australia is covered. They are not currently covering 80 yr up for international anything. not just cruising.

We are going to use racv for our trip one month trip to South Africa  Nov to Dec this year, which doesn’t involve cruise. 
covermore is also ok for covering cruise and your age group

I got 1Cover for my 13 day Westerdam domestic in Nov. By far the best price with my 5 preexistings includes covid cover.. easy on line assessment and payment.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

We just bought cruise insurance today. This is for our Honolulu to Brisbane 18 night cruise, it was hexi ($750 with $100 excess) although it covers 20k Covid cancellation with pre existing type 2 diabetes condition and with all other regular stuff.

I believe they cover anyone aged under 100 years of age.

Southern Cross travel insurance is the company.  

https://www.scti.com.au/

Edited by SuitesRbest
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very interested in this post as I am also having problems getting cover for us.... 72 & 75 will pre-existing...I tried 1cover but thought it said it would cover if you got Covid on your trip... meaning not before and you have to cancel? Please check that as I very well could be wrong!

The  1Cover policy says:

"Medical Covid Cover Included

This is to certify that the above mentioned covered travellers listed on the Certificate of Insurance are insured under this policy for the destinations and periods stated. This policy provides cover for overseas hospital and medical expenses if a covered traveller is positively diagnosed with Covid 19 by a qualified medical practitioner."

I take this to mean that the Covid cover starts on the first day you give for travel, which would be the first day of your trip, but not before.  I think that means that if you get Covid in the week before you travel, you wouldn't be covered for cancellation.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

The  1Cover policy says:

This is to certify that the above mentioned covered travellers listed on the Certificate of Insurance are insured under this policy for the destinations and periods stated. This policy provides cover for overseas hospital and medical expenses if a covered traveller is positively diagnosed with Covid 19 by a qualified medical practitioner."

I take this to mean that the Covid cover starts on the first day you give for travel, which would be the first day of your trip, but not before.  I think that means that if you get Covid in the week before you travel, you wouldn't be covered for cancellation.

STI has covered us from the day we signed until the day we arrive back from our cruise.

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2022 at 1:07 PM, cruiser3775 said:

The  1Cover policy says:

The date stated would be the date you took cover.

Cheers Carole

I don't think so, Carole. That's not how I read it. The  'period of cover' is the travel dates - from the first day of travel to the last day.  You would be covered for cancellation from the day you paid for the policy, for reasons other than Covid, but the Covid provisions are limited to the actual dates of travel, I believe.  Maybe someone with more in depth knowledge of travel insurance can clarify this?

28 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I don't think so, Carole. That's not how I read it. The  'period of cover' is the travel dates - from the first day of travel to the last day.  You would be covered for cancellation from the day you paid for the policy, for reasons other than Covid, but the Covid provisions are limited to the actual dates of travel, I believe.  Maybe someone with more in depth knowledge of travel insurance can clarify this?

That is the way I read the policy also.

I just compared 1Cover and STI policies. STI definitely covers you for Covid related cancellations from the day you pay for the policy, and 1Cover only covers you from the starting travel date, not before.  The cost of the STI policy for me is about 50% more than the 1Cover policy, but they will offer insurance up to the age of 118 years! Don't think I'll still be cruising then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/16/2022 at 10:54 AM, Relaxing Rita said:

Very interested in this post as I am also having problems getting cover for us.... 72 & 75 will pre-existing...I tried 1cover but thought it said it would cover if you got Covid on your trip... meaning not before and you have to cancel? Please check that as I very well could be wrong!

Try WorldCare travel insurance.   I researched several Companies a few weeks ago, these came out best for 75 years of age with pre existing. Especially for USA, Canada & Cruising all included.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We are sticking with the complimentary travel insurance attached to our ANZ Platinum Visa credit card. It covers trips booked before the person turns 81.

The dirty dogs the ANZ! lol. The ANZ in NZ only cover to 74. Be wary of credit-card insurance in general though. It has a lot of holes in it. Doesn't generally cover the cruise-company, airline or travel agent going bust.. which is real possibility with the way they're losing huge amounts every month. 

6 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

The dirty dogs the ANZ! lol. The ANZ in NZ only cover to 74. Be wary of credit-card insurance in general though. It has a lot of holes in it. Doesn't generally cover the cruise-company, airline or travel agent going bust.. which is real possibility with the way they're losing huge amounts every month. 

On reading the pds of many different insurance policies, I haven't seen that the credit card insurance doesn't cover losses incurred if a cruise company or airline goes bust. I will check it out.

P.S. I can't see any mention in the Exclusions section that the collapse of any company (cruise line/airline etc) is not covered.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

On reading the pds of many different insurance policies, I haven't seen that the credit card insurance doesn't cover losses incurred if a cruise company or airline goes bust. I will check it out.

I would if I was you. ANZ platinum card in NZ doesn't cover it.. and doing some homework.. that's a common problem with many insurers. 

2 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

I would if I was you. ANZ platinum card in NZ doesn't cover it.. and doing some homework.. that's a common problem with many insurers. 

Is this included in the Exclusions section of the pds? As I added to my previous post, it is not mentioned in the Aust policy document.

8 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Is this included in the Exclusions section of the pds? As I added to my previous post, it is not mentioned in the Aust policy document.

It's listed as an exclusion with ANZ Platinum c/card insurance in NZ.. but that could be different in Australia. I didn't realise and was glad I checked and then purchased other insurance. But it could be different across the ditch. Even though it's all the ANZ lol. 

20 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

On checking further I see that you are correct. The ANZ Platinum Visa CC insurance does not cover for cancellation (losses) if the company goes bust. It isn't in the 'exclusions' section, but in the 'Cancellation' section near the end of the pds (see page 37). Here is the relevant section

What we exclude
To the extent permitted by law we will not pay your claim if:

d] caused by financial default or financial collapse of a services provider with whom you make a booking or the financial default or financial collapse of any company, organisation or person with whom they deal;

It would be interesting to see what other insurance policies cover.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, jessandarnie said:

Try WorldCare travel insurance.   I researched several Companies a few weeks ago, these came out best for 75 years of age with pre existing. Especially for USA, Canada & Cruising all included.

Thank you very much for your recommendation... I have just gone through the process of getting a quote and it was $400 less that SCTI but I am yet to get to the bottom of the Covid Cover, will go through their PDS today. If anyone has would like to add their comments re WorldCare, that would be great. Thank you CC Members!

I am also very interested in this topic as one of us is over 75. I am about to start paying for my cruises so would like  to take out an annual policy.  I did look at NIB some weeks ago, but I just can’t see at the moment when I look at their policy cruise cover, I might be looking at the wrong page.

I am also considering Travel Insurance Savers who use NIB.

Credit card insurance isn’t an option for us as Westpac (Allianz) don’t have an pandemic cover.

Covermore are over $1000 more expensive that Travel Insurance Savers and I haven’t even got to the pre existing conditions.

Anyone else we should consider?

Any assistance is appreciated.

• Like 1