Tipping for Private Transfer vs "Tour plus Transfer"

cluso

Another tipping question.  Instead of renting a car this time, we want to get two private transfers.  One that is from FCO to Siena, then one from Siena to the Civitavecchia Port.  We just want transfers, not "tour" transfers with commentary, as we have been to many areas before and we will be tired from the flights inbound.  Costs run around 450 to 525 euro for each.  I have seen various comments about tips: from 10 euro total (because the transfer companies pay their drivers a good wage) to a 10-15 percent (kind of Americanized).    Some companies are recommending percentages now on their websites.  Just checking to see what the latest is.

No train or bus due to a medical issue.

Thank you

It's difficult for those from the US to understand, but tipping is not an integral part of the Italian fee structure for things like this. Any website that suggests tip amounts is simply playing to a primarily US audience.

You should always expect to pay the actual fee for service provided. If the driver is on time, gets you there safely, has a decent car -- these are not reasons to tip extra. 

Now if you have a lot of luggage and the driver is quick to assist you with getting it to and from the car, loading it, unloading it on the other end, etc. or if you make a request like a stop enroute to buy wine, you may consider adding a few euro. Certainly not more than the 10 euro total that you mention, but truthfully you are fine to just pay the agreed cost.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's difficult for those from the US to understand, but tipping is not an integral part of the Italian fee structure for things like this. Any website that suggests tip amounts is simply playing to a primarily US audience.

Yes.  I'd bet big money you found this advice in English.  If the company even has an Italian language page, it won't be there.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe a thing we should start talking about here is checking out tour pages that are only in Italian? It might be one way to help folks get away from the tipping trap and possibly keep from furthering the trend of expecting travelers to tip just because. Google will translate pages into English and definitely does a good enough job to understand what's on offer. 

Likewise to compose an email inquiry, though if a tour operator is working in a major Italian city, you better believe they can speak English. It would be nice, however, to use some cursory Italian simply to be friendly and polite in the email, which is available on any travel guide or any of us can assist with any time. (You can also reverse translate an Italian email by copy/pasting the text into Google translate app, which is free. Since it's not literature, no need to worry about contextual translations.)

I'm not against people getting their due, but we generally know that they are in that it is required by law. I am against predatory business practices. As consumers, we have options, and opportunities. First and foremost though, we have responsibilities as guests, so it always matters to go about it in the right way. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 4:51 AM, Ronin23 said:

Still never understand why Americans think just because you tip in the US, that you tip in every other country?

For me it's as normal as adding ma'am or sir after saying, "yes" or "no".  I'm a Southern girl.  I'm finding lots of valuable info taking the time to peruse CC in depth preparing for our trip next year.  Learning about the tipping (or non-tipping) protocol is important.  Want to be respectful of another country's way of life but also want to tip if they've done something over and beyond what payment was for.  Adding this "tip" to my notes.  

• Like 3

On 7/21/2022 at 6:06 PM, Host Bonjour said:

Maybe a thing we should start talking about here is checking out tour pages that are only in Italian? It might be one way to help folks get away from the tipping trap and possibly keep from furthering the trend of expecting travelers to tip just because. Google will translate pages into English and definitely does a good enough job to understand what's on offer. 

Likewise to compose an email inquiry, though if a tour operator is working in a major Italian city, you better believe they can speak English. It would be nice, however, to use some cursory Italian simply to be friendly and polite in the email, which is available on any travel guide or any of us can assist with any time. (You can also reverse translate an Italian email by copy/pasting the text into Google translate app, which is free. Since it's not literature, no need to worry about contextual translations.)

I'm not against people getting their due, but we generally know that they are in that it is required by law. I am against predatory business practices. As consumers, we have options, and opportunities. First and foremost though, we have responsibilities as guests, so it always matters to go about it in the right way. 

So what are you saying.....do not tip???? 

On 8/20/2022 at 12:28 AM, RTR 21-0 said:

but want to tip if they've done something over and beyond what payment was for.

............ and that's the nub.

The American culture of tipping people for doing their job isn't repeated in Europe.

But something (not at US levels) to show appreciation to those who go above & beyond is fine

JB 🙂

• Like 1