Anyone on board Getaway today know why ST Thomas was cancelled?

sabaka11

I think your a day late. This is the getaway current itinerary :

Cruise Itinerary: Port Canaveral, Florida (16 Jul d1800); Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas (17 Jul 0730-1600); St Thomas, US Virgin Islands (19 Jul 1200-2000); San Juan, Puerto Rico (20 Jul 0700-1500); Puerto Plata/Amber Cove, Dominican Republic (21 Jul 0700-1500); Port Canaveral, Florida (23 Jul a0700)

Today is July 20. Marine Traffic AIS website shows the Getaway at Puerto Rico which is the scheduled stop for today 

9 minutes ago, Colorado Buffalo said:

I'm on this ship Saturday. No word on if we are going or not but apparently passengers didn't find out till they got on board last Saturday.

We are sailing on her this Saturday as well.  Did anybody say if they replaced the port with another or just added a sea day?

1 minute ago, Colorado Buffalo said:

That letter was from LAST Saturday.

At this point no news either way for next week.

I really would like to know before I'm on board though.

As far as I know, the people found out about the port cancellations while on the ship and had no advance warning. 

Just now, Pat.D said:

As far as I know, the people found out about the port cancellations while on the ship and had no advance warning. 

That's what scares me. We have an excursion booked in the DR that's not using NCL. 

If we have to switch days at DR I doubt it will be available. Hope nothing changes.

1 hour ago, Colorado Buffalo said:

That's what scares me. We have an excursion booked in the DR that's not using NCL. 

If we have to switch days at DR I doubt it will be available. Hope nothing changes.

Same here, sailing the Getaway B2B on Aug 13 and 20 and I was trying to book a private scuba diving excursion in the DR but now I can't really make solid plans.  Also I booked dives in St-Thomas thru NCL (gotta use those $50 shorex credits!) which will be out the window if we skip that port...  🙁

This sux.  Wonder what are the "unforseen circumstances".  Anyone?

I totally agree with that question.   It is most annoying that NCL uses that or similar wording whenever anything changes.   Surely it would be FAR BETTER customer service to EXPLAIN!!

BUT, of course, Customer Service is a totally oxymoron when it comes to anything like this with NCL.

It is a total pity that that is so as we really enjoy the ships, the itineraries and the officers & crew.  Battling with the brick wall of Head Office is most annoying.

Ugh.  We’re sailing on Breakaway on Aug 7 and they already took away 2 ports (Puerto Plata and Tortola) and only replaced them with an evening in San Juan… if they take away St Thomas we’re down to just an evening in  San Juan and a day at GSC which is always a 50/50 shot anyway.

I'm in an electric wheelchair and can't get off at GSC because it's a tender port. And a 4pm stop in San Juan means alot of stuff is closed leaving food classes or going to dinner as the options. And unfortunately most restaurants in Old San Juan aren't wheelchair accessible.  Definitely bummed when I saw the new Aug 7th itinerary.  If St. Thomas is removed, it will be 7 days at sea for me 😞

3 hours ago, raitch said:

Ugh.  We’re sailing on Breakaway on Aug 7 and they already took away 2 ports (Puerto Plata and Tortola) and only replaced them with an evening in San Juan… if they take away St Thomas we’re down to just an evening in  San Juan and a day at GSC which is always a 50/50 shot anyway.

I don’t think they can possibly take St. Thomas off our itinerary . I’m on the Breakaway on July 31. They took away Tortola and DR for our week also. 

8 hours ago, BarnCat1 said:

Sadly, St Thomas is the main drawing point for this cruise for us.  They really should consider adding another decent port instead of a sea day.  Turks, Caicos, Jamaica, Nassau or Key West

I would take a sea day over Nassau any day of the week.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, IslandFamilyTime said:

I'm in an electric wheelchair and can't get off at GSC because it's a tender port. And a 4pm stop in San Juan means alot of stuff is closed leaving food classes or going to dinner as the options. And unfortunately most restaurants in Old San Juan aren't wheelchair accessible.  Definitely bummed when I saw the new Aug 7th itinerary.  If St. Thomas is removed, it will be 7 days at sea for me 😞

Ugh.  I love me a sea day, but I’m not sure 7 of them in a row would be much fun.  Fingers crossed for both our sakes, but especially yours, that they don’t cancel St Thomas on us!

43 minutes ago, Shidah said:

I would take a sea day over Nassau any day of the week.

Yes I agree, I should have added Tortola and left out Nassau, but you get the general idea of what I was saying. Skipping St Thomas only leaves San Juan, DR and GSC for the itinerary. Another port would be nice.  

Current sailing (solid blue line) vs projected route (dotted line).  According to the Amber Cove monthly schedule our ship is supposed to be there now.  They skipped the USVI and visited the DR early. They are on their way back to Port Canaveral now.

Of course all this doesn't mean all future sailings will be like this but it will be good to keep an eye on this. 

It is what it is I guess... 

904067337_Screenshot2022-07-21085618.thumb.jpg.9985507e580cfeb1307c30417f265ad4.jpg 

14 hours ago, BarnCat1 said:

Sadly, St Thomas is the main drawing point for this cruise for us.  They really should consider adding another decent port instead of a sea day.  Turks, Caicos, Jamaica, Nassau or Key West

Curious about your plans for St. Thomas and/or why the draw... St. Thomas is a scheduled port for us in Oct, still searching for ideas on things to do.