San Pedro hotels - CP, BW, DT - only DT still open?

kluv2cruz

San Pedro:

I’ve heard the Best Western is being converted to a homeless shelter?

Doubletree, even with free warm yummy cookies upon checkin is pretty $$$$.

Crowne Plaza is not coming up on searches? Is it still open?

Thanks for any, on the ground, wisdom!

1 hour ago, kluv2cruz said:

San Pedro:

Yes, Best Western is now a shelter for homeless veterans.

The Crowne Plaza is showing up on the searches I just did. Try again...perhaps there was a temporary problem causing it to not show when you searched.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 9:19 AM, kluv2cruz said:

San Pedro:

Crown Plaza is fairly $$$ $ as well but with the Best Western closed I guess that is where we will stay.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 11:47 AM, imola said:

Crown Plaza is fairly $$$ $ as well but with the Best Western closed I guess that is where we will stay.

Booked.  Called the hotel direct.  Asked for the "best rate" that we could get based on qualifying for several.  Then asked if they had a "Veterans Rate" one was not shown on their website. They had a "Military Rate" though.  Anyway we were given a "Veterans Rate" that was less than any rates shown on their site. Very nice and helpful lady at front desk.  Also shared that shuttle to the ship is $5.50 pp.  It holds 24 guests at one time.  They have four shuttle times 9, 10, 11 and 12.  She also shared that they have many restaurants nearby (walking distance) if we choose to go out for a meal. 

I have heard that Double-tree is nice but cost more, about $25.00 more than what we booked a the Crown Plaza. However I have also that there is not a charge for their shuttle.

I hope that some of this information will be helpful for someone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We stayed at the DT two weeks ago and with the parking included it was reasonable.  However, I would never stay there again and I'm a Hilton brand loyal Diamond member.  The hotel is worn and needs some serious updating.  Food in the restaurant was just OK.  Service was very good.  Worse was the wedding party in the courtyard just below our room that played loud music until midnight and this was a Sunday.  When I asked at the desk how late the party was going they told me 10:45 PM.  It went to midnight.  First, I would park at the cruise port as there's plenty of parking and stay someplace else close.  

On 7/26/2022 at 1:00 PM, imola said:

Booked....Also shared that shuttle to the ship is $5.50 pp.  It holds 24 guests at one time.  They have four shuttle times 9, 10, 11 and 12.  She also shared that they have many restaurants nearby (walking distance) if we choose to go out for a meal...

A few notes for you...

The $5.50 pp is probably worth it because it's easier thn walking...however, you CAN even walk from the CP to the pier...It's about three long flat blocks.  We've walked it a few times.  AND, if you don't want to deal with the shuttle, it even makes sens just using an Uber from the CP to the port or vice versa...probably cost about the same as the CP shuttle and you can do it on your schedule.

As to restaurants, yes, there are SEVERAL within about two blocks of the CP...Many within just steps.  We seem to always end up eating at the same two nowadays:  The Green Onion...very reasonably priced GOOD Mexican cuisine pretty much across the street from the CP...and the San Pedro Brewing Co., a brew pub with a very eclectic menu (I love the Tri-tip Sandwich) half a block to the west of the CP...

http://www.greenonionmexicanrestaurant.com/menu.html

https://sanpedrobrewing.com/menu

If you don't like those, there are others really close...Downtown San Pedro has a lot of locally owned, reasonably priced casual eateries...

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 4:01 PM, Bruin Steve said:

A few notes for you...

The $5.50 pp is probably worth it because it's easier thn walking...however, you CAN even walk from the CP to the pier...It's about three long flat blocks.  We've walked it a few times.  AND, if you don't want to deal with the shuttle, it even makes sens just using an Uber from the CP to the port or vice versa...probably cost about the same as the CP shuttle and you can do it on your schedule.

As to restaurants, yes, there are SEVERAL within about two blocks of the CP...Many within just steps.  We seem to always end up eating at the same two nowadays:  The Green Onion...very reasonably priced GOOD Mexican cuisine pretty much across the street from the CP...and the San Pedro Brewing Co., a brew pub with a very eclectic menu (I love the Tri-tip Sandwich) half a block to the west of the CP...

http://www.greenonionmexicanrestaurant.com/menu.html

https://sanpedrobrewing.com/menu

If you don't like those, there are others really close...Downtown San Pedro has a lot of locally owned, reasonably priced casual eateries...

Thank you for all the info.  We are not physically able to walk to the pier so it is shuttle or Uber.  DH doesn't want to use Uber but we may have to.  We never have so concerns. He downed the app to get a feel for cost from Long Beach airport to hotel.  It came back at around $150.00.  Yikes.  Are there taxis near the hotel that could be used to pier? 

Food options sound good.  DH favorite is Mexican food but that being said he would like the tri-tip sandwich as well.  We are both certified, Master BBQ judges for KCBS and travel around judging BBQ cooking at events. 

We are flying in which again is different for us as we usually drive but given we are not coming back to San Pedro this was our only choice. 

Again thank you for everything.  Feel free to keep the info coming.

4 hours ago, imola said:

... He downed the app to get a feel for cost from Long Beach airport to hotel.  It came back at around $150.00.  Yikes.  ...

You've got to be doing something wrong with the Uber app...Maybe you input the wrong locations... I just input LGB to the Crowne Plaza San Pedro...just now (and it's a Friday night at 10:30) and it came out to about $45...and even that seems a bit high--may be because its a Friday night.  We took an Uber back and forth from home (about 50 miles and over an hour away) to our last cruise a couple of weeks ago...and it was $58... Time before that we paid $55...

Uber is fairly inexpensive--blows away taxi fares...

3 hours ago, phabric said:

Will the Uber cost from LAX to CP be about the same as from Long Beach Airport?

LGB is 15 miles from San Pedro, LAX is 20 miles from San Pedro. So I would expect Uber to be cheaper, but that is not the reason I'd choose LGB over LAX. It is because LGB is far less irritating than LAX.

When it comes to Uber costs, it's a little complicated...There is only about 4 miles difference on the routes from those two airports...and the portion of the fare based on mileage won't really differ by much.  Then there are special airport fees...which I believe both airports have.  But the real difference is based on availability, traffic, supply and demand...

Uber has what they call "Surge Pricing" for ties when the demand is WAY up....Often, when you fly into an airport, if you arrive at precisely the wrong tie--like when multiple flights have landed and it's a high demand time anyway, the fare will be quite high.  Often, but not always, if the price seems high, you can wait a few ninutes ad try again.  Of course, sometimes that price goes UP instead of down.  LAX ALWAYS has higher demand...OTOH, it also has way more Uber drivers in the vicinity--so supply is higher as well.  LGB has less demand...but also far fewer Uber drivers servicing it...

So, on the average, you can probably expect the Uber fares to be about the same from either airport, it's always a little bit of a gamble....But, generally, the length of the rides, in terms of both miles and time, are actually fairly similar.

16 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

You've got to be doing something wrong with the Uber app...Maybe you input the wrong locations... I just input LGB to the Crowne Plaza San Pedro...just now (and it's a Friday night at 10:30) and it came out to about $45...and even that seems a bit high--may be because its a Friday night.  We took an Uber back and forth from home (about 50 miles and over an hour away) to our last cruise a couple of weeks ago...and it was $58... Time before that we paid $55...

Uber is fairly inexpensive--blows away taxi fares...

Well in reading these responses to DH he told me that "oh the cost was for a taxi not Uber".  I am so sorry folks.  I have others suggest Red Line Shuttle that they have used as it has a set fee.  Someone said Long Beach Shuttle with a set fee.  Both can be pre-booked.  DH says he likes that idea even if it costs a little more feeling that would leave us with no surprises.  Anyone here have experience with either of these companies?

Thanks for the information.  Coming from Toronto, it be will LAX and will be using EzAir.

I have never used Uber before.  I think someone mentioned order a Uber Black so we can be picked up at the curb.  I put the Uber app on my phone.  I pretended to order and there were a few cars available.  I did not see where to order Uber black.

Edited by phabric

On 7/29/2022 at 6:02 PM, imola said:

Thank you for all the info.  We are not physically able to walk to the pier so it is shuttle or Uber.  DH doesn't want to use Uber but we may have to.  We never have so concerns. He downed the app to get a feel for cost from Long Beach airport to hotel.  It came back at around $150.00.  Yikes.  Are there taxis near the hotel that could be used to pier?

If you are flying into LGB, have you considered staying at LGB and just Ubering/cabbing to the port the next day? There is a new Hampton Inn and a new Marriott Courtyard in a new area at the Long Beach Airport called the Long Beach Exchange (LBX). Both hotels have free shuttles from the airport. The Long Beach Marriott at LGB isn't new, but is very nice too.

If you are locked into the Crowne Plaza, I am sure the hotel can get you a cab.

On 7/30/2022 at 3:06 PM, phabric said:

Thanks for the information.  Coming from Toronto, it be will LAX and will be using EzAir.

I have never used Uber before.  I think someone mentioned order a Uber Black so we can be picked up at the curb.  I put the Uber app on my phone.  I pretended to order and there were a few cars available.  I did not see where to order Uber black.

On the Uber app, after you've put in your location and destination, it'll display your ride options. Uber Black is under the Premium category (scroll down to see it, if available).

On 7/30/2022 at 2:15 PM, Bruin Steve said:

Uber has what they call "Surge Pricing" for ties when the demand is WAY up....Often, when you fly into an airport, if you arrive at precisely the wrong tie--like when multiple flights have landed and it's a high demand time anyway, the fare will be quite high. 

Also, you might get canceled if the drivers see a higher paying fare while you are waiting for your confirmation.  We had that happen two weeks ago when we got off the ship at San Pedro and ordered an UBER.  I got the confirmation that we had a driver on route then five minutes later he canceled.  I had to reorder then never got a confirmation with the name of the driver and vehicle description.  We are standing at the pickup area and I see a black SUV with the driver looking like she is looking for somebody.  I go up to her and ask if she's here to pick up "Stephen" and she says no "Steve."  About that time I get the text with her name and I show it to her, "is this you?"  Yes and we finally load up.  I had actually RSVP'ed the pickup the day before while we were on the cruise back to LA.  

On 7/30/2022 at 3:06 PM, phabric said:

I think someone mentioned order a Uber Black so we can be picked up at the curb.  I put the Uber app on my phone.  I pretended to order and there were a few cars available.  I did not see where to order Uber black.

We just ordered UBERXLx5 black for drop off and pick up at San Pedro.  You just have to scroll down the app and look for it, if there are any available.  There is also a UBER XL.  Pickup at San Pedro is all at the curb so it doesn't have to be a UBER black.     

11 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

We just ordered UBERXLx5 black for drop off and pick up at San Pedro.  You just have to scroll down the app and look for it, if there are any available.  There is also a UBER XL.  Pickup at San Pedro is all at the curb so it doesn't have to be a UBER black.     

I have gone back into Uber app.  I saw the different size cars. Didn’t go further as didn’t want to be charged or order a car. What is the difference of Uber and Uber Black

I don’t think a car size will work.

There will be 3 ladies

3 - large suitcases (25/26 in)

2 - carryon (19 in)

Which be better  to order ?

UberXL x4 or

UberXL x6

On 7/30/2022 at 10:20 PM, scottca075 said:

If you are flying into LGB, have you considered staying at LGB and just Ubering/cabbing to the port the next day? There is a new Hampton Inn and a new Marriott Courtyard in a new area at the Long Beach Airport called the Long Beach Exchange (LBX). Both hotels have free shuttles from the airport. The Long Beach Marriott at LGB isn't new, but is very nice too.

If you are locked into the Crowne Plaza, I am sure the hotel can get you a cab.

Thanks.  DH says he wants to just go to the Crown Plaza after arrival at the airport.  I have called the Red Line Shuttle, recommended here, but no response so I will keep looking for transportation.  Everyone has been very helpful and I am thankful. 

On 8/2/2022 at 5:12 AM, phabric said:

I have gone back into Uber app.  I saw the different size cars. Didn’t go further as didn’t want to be charged or order a car. What is the difference of Uber and Uber Black

I don’t think a car size will work.

There will be 3 ladies

3 - large suitcases (25/26 in)

2 - carryon (19 in)

Which be better  to order ?

UberXL x4 or

UberXL x6

XL x4 should work for that size.  We had four of us with double that amount of luggage with x5 (I don't recall a x6 being an option) and had just enough room.  Not really sure about the difference between regular and black.  You can use the app to schedule in advance, which is what we did.  I actually made the debarkation pickup RSVP while in Ensenada.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE