Visa for Japan

redshine

4 hours ago, redshine said:

Flying to Tokyo for a few days before getting on the Nautica . Do we need to get a visa before we leave from the US

I would check this website, at the moment I don’t think it is possible unless you are on an extremely organized guided tour.

https://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/travel_and_visa.html
Rosalyn

Edited by cruiseaholic78

There is a post under Silversea regarding their upcoming Japan cruises that I recommend you check out.  Someone posted that you can only get group visas and they couldn't get those because Japan isn't allowing cruises into their ports due to COVID.  Silverseas notified them last night that their upcoming Japan cruises (starting Sept 1, 2022) are cancelled.  I wish you luck!

Dear Redshine:

Currently U. S. citizens require a Visa to enter Japan.  Unfortunately, an individual cannot obtain a Visa for a cruise on a non- Japanese ship.  When covid restrictions are lifted in Japan U. S. citizens will not require a Visa as per the Japanese Embassy statements.

Joel Barry

16 hours ago, redshine said:

Flying to Tokyo for a few days before getting on the Nautica . Do we need to get a visa before we leave from the US

When is your cruise?

I am not seeing any from Tokyo until 2023   & things  might be  a lot different by then

In the past, you did not need a visa to enter Japan as a tourist. 

People living in Japan do not want tourists to come there anytime in the near future. I have friends there who would be happy if there as no more foreign tourism ever. Based on what my Japanese friends tell me, it is highly unlikely there will be any Japan cruises in 2023 because there will be no foreigners allowed into Japan until covid and monkeypox are gone, which will be never.

16 hours ago, susiesan said:

In the past, you did not need a visa to enter Japan as a tourist. 

People living in Japan do not want tourists to come there anytime in the near future. I have friends there who would be happy if there as no more foreign tourism ever. Based on what my Japanese friends tell me, it is highly unlikely there will be any Japan cruises in 2023 because there will be no foreigners allowed into Japan until covid and monkeypox are gone, which will be never.

I believe Japan is now allowing foreign tourists if they are part of an approved organized tour group.

A cruise with organized shore excursions?

3 hours ago, Dwtlion said:

A cruise with organized shore excursions?

I don’t think Japan is allowing any cruises, but if you’re planning/hoping on going, do some research first so you avoid disappointment.

Most cruise lines have cancelled their Fall/winter schedule of Japanese visits.  Silversea did same this week.

Normally you do not need a visa, but who knows what the situation will be in April.  We were scheduled same on Nautica in 2020 and of course it was cancelled, then rebooked on Silversea in 2022 - also cancelled.  Now booked on Regent for 2024.  

I would be concerned if they open in time and would make sure that any flights, private tours can be cancelled if cruise is a no-go.

• Like 3