Back to Back Questions: Middle Port City

Kabes

We are considering booking another cruise on the front end of our existing booking. But have a few questions about the experience

Barcelona to Rome - New cruise

Rome to Athens - Currently Booked

The day we are in Rome. Will we be able to disembark early to see Rome?

What time will we need to be back?

Since we will have different rooms, can we leave our luggage somewhere on board?

Do we need to go through the embarkation process again?

Will they give us new Medallions?

Are there excursions you can book with the cruise in the end city (rome)?

4 minutes ago, Kabes said:

We are considering booking another cruise on the front end of our existing booking. But have a few questions about the experience

Barcelona to Rome - New cruise

Rome to Athens - Currently Booked

The day we are in Rome. Will we be able to disembark early to see Rome?

What time will we need to be back?

Since we will have different rooms, can we leave our luggage somewhere on board?

Do we need to go through the embarkation process again?

Will they give us new Medallions?

Are there excursions you can book with the cruise in the end city (rome)?

1. Yes, you can disembark anytime - it is like another port day in Europe.
  2. Check the itineraries for arrival of the new voyage and departure of your existing.  All aboard is generally 30 minutes before departure.  I'd plan an hour to be safe.
  3. Talk to your Steward and they arrange moving things.  Leave all hanging in closet and pack the rest.  If possible, go find your Steward for the new room and talk nice-nice and (s)he may help out by cleaning up your new room ASAP in the morning and you can get your stuff inside at least before heading ashore.
  4. Your Medallion should be dated through the entire voyage.  It should even be re-programmed automatically, but you can check with PSD.
  5. The offered excursions at end of voyage are intended for folks to spend some time and then be taken to the airport.  You should find your own way into Rome.  It's going to take some time to get there and back, shortening your day.  If you are looking to go to Vatican, for example, order your tickets ahead of time.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

The offered excursions at end of voyage are intended for folks to spend some time and then be taken to the airport

Actually that is not correct. There are numerous tours that go to Rome and return to the ship.

• Like 1

Excursions from Princess in Rome

Probably yes there will be excursions. Expect many passengers will be booked b2b as the cruises are sold that way. make certain you avoid a disembarkation excursion which ends at the airport.

Changing cabins

Fairly easy with some planning. Speak with your cabin steward in advance, and also speak with the new cabin steward. Place as many items on hangers and hang in the closet as possible. These items will be moved on hangers and hung in your new cabin. Place other items in your suitcases. The cabin steward will arrange to have the suitcases moved from the current cabin to your new cabin. Valuables. Remove from your cabin safe. Speak with your new cabin steward. You should be able to place them into your new cabin's safe before you leave the ship. Current occupants are supposed to be out of the cabin by 8am. 

I wouldn’t plan on a ship sponsored tour on your turnaround day. Our ship offered only one tour that didn’t end up at the airport. It was a five hour tour, that included three hours of transit time on the bus. We passed on it.

10 minutes ago, partybarbie said:

I wouldn’t plan on a ship sponsored tour on your turnaround day. Our ship offered only one tour that didn’t end up at the airport. It was a five hour tour, that included three hours of transit time on the bus. We passed on it.

That certainly wasn't the case on Regal Princess a few weeks ago. I'm guessing, but probably about half a dozen tours offered,  most of which had 5 or 6 hours in Rome.

Check the Roll Call's for the cruises you'll be on.  There will be others doing the same b2b's and some of them may have booked tours for the day in Rome that you may be able to join.

Edited by LACruiser88

1 hour ago, Billish said:

That certainly wasn't the case on Regal Princess a few weeks ago. I'm guessing, but probably about half a dozen tours offered,  most of which had 5 or 6 hours in Rome.

I think I know what’s going on. We were on a smaller ship, and on one of the last TA’s back to Fort Lauderdale. The tours offered will depend on the time of year and the passenger count.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Billish said:

Actually that is not correct. There are numerous tours that go to Rome and return to the ship.

I stand corrected.  The member here could look in Cruise Personalizer for offerings.  But I would look at making my own way to Rome and back to maximize the time there.  A PCL bus tour will be the most inefficient use of time.

I would try to see if you could get the same cabin, even if it means not getting your desired cabin for the second cruise. It makes life a lot easier to stay in the same one instead of worrying about moving at the end of the first cruise, especially since you want to be able to go to Rome and back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, geoherb said:

I would try to see if you could get the same cabin, even if it means not getting your desired cabin for the second cruise. It makes life a lot easier to stay in the same one instead of worrying about moving at the end of the first cruise, especially since you want to be able to go to Rome and back.

It's still doable with a room change.  I changed rooms on the Rome turnaround day with an early (7:00?) excursion earlier this month.

The ship wasn't full and my room for leg 2 happened to be empty for leg 1, so I was able to move my large carryon bag and safe contents to my new room on the Friday night of leg 1, and my steward for leg 1 moved 2 smaller bags to my room on Saturday morning.  But he would have moved everything on Saturday morning if I hadn't volunteered to move myself on Friday night or if my new room had been occupied for leg 1.

Edited by DallasGuy75219