Shops on board

Bin man

9 hours ago, Bin man said:

Just had a look on p and o site and it's called Dixons Travel .Trialled on Ventura 2017 and was supposed to be on Britannia from 2019 

January 2020 it was PCWorld on Britannia. I bought a new Kindle and Fitbit onboard as there was a special extra discount of 30% one evening.  Both still going strong.  July and December 2021 no electronic shop onboard.  Reading this thread hoping to see one back in October and December.

13 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Would not buy anything in the shops, especially if expensive. Too many stories of problems if anything goes wrong. Buy at home.

DW purchased a Michael Kors handbag on Independence of the seas. Tremendous price. Nothing went wrong with it. We also purchased a pack of playing cards. No problems with them either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

46 minutes ago, zap99 said:

DW purchased a Michael Kors handbag on Independence of the seas. Tremendous price. Nothing went wrong with it. We also purchased a pack of playing cards. No problems with them either.

Sarcasm again! Getting a bit tiresome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On our last cruise on Iona every female  member of our party bought top branded handbags with 25% off and of course they bought them on our account to get another 10% and we also noticed how much the duty free offers were been snapped up ( we didn't buy any ) but the queue to collect it on the next to last day snaked around the shopping arcade, of course these are not electrical items as previously mentioned but it shows how much revenue ,if priced correctly these outlets can bring in.

We have, over  the years purchased many items from the Whitewall gallery on board and the orders are then processed to our local gallery for dispatch without any problems, so we feel that the on board shops are  worthwhile, or at least  my good lady does !!!    

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bin man said:

3 years go on Ventura there was a Dixons shop in the photo area selling cameras and ipad/Samsung items do they still exist on any ships ?

Not heard any mention of them on Iona, just the usual handbags and expensive jewellery.  

1 minute ago, gsmt47471015 said:

,if priced correctly these outlets can bring in.

More "if marketed correctly".

With the onboard shops you need to do your homework and check on what the actual prices are.

Recently on Britannia there were daily offers of "duty free" booze - but some of the offers were more expensive than when the same product is on offer in Tesco (other supermarkets are available) and most of the others were only a pound or two cheaper - not worth the hassle of getting them home in my opinion.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, david63 said:

More "if marketed correctly".

With the onboard shops you need to do your homework and check on what the actual prices are.

Recently on Britannia there were daily offers of "duty free" booze - but some of the offers were more expensive than when the same product is on offer in Tesco (other supermarkets are available) and most of the others were only a pound or two cheaper - not worth the hassle of getting them home in my opinion.

Seen that happen a lot even in duty free shops at airports.  Fragrance can be ok sometimes but duty free alcohol is usually more of a convenience of it being guaranteed to be in stock (my local supermarket has empty shelves of spirits that are on offer)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Satellite city said:

Seen that happen a lot even in duty free shops at airports.  Fragrance can be ok sometimes but duty free alcohol is usually more of a convenience of it being guaranteed to be in stock (my local supermarket has empty shelves of spirits that are on offer)

By the end of our cruise a lot of the duty free shelves ( of drinks) were empty , so can only assume by those that know better than me it was "competitively priced" 

49 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Well in the case of the handbags I'm the wrong person to ask what's marked correctly, however three different females all said that the original price was on a par with shops at home and so the price reductions were quite generous  

When we cruised on Iona in May I bought a Radley handbag and a Swarovski ring, both of which I had seen on land so knew the price, the ring wasn't on offer but was £10 cheaper onboard and the handbag was on a 25% off offer and was around £20 cheaper onboard.

My husband bought some aftershave and I looked it up on Amazon and it was £20 cheaper onboard.

• Like 1

Like some of the American ships the shopping area on Iona was quite comprehensive and well laid out , the exception been the Pandora outlet which was way to small, not really a shopper but felt the prices were more generous than on the other ships in the fleet, although Men's clothing was still pretty expensive

4 hours ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Well in the case of the handbags I'm the wrong person to ask what's marked correctly, however three different females all said that the original price was on a par with shops at home and so the price reductions were quite generous  

I'm not an expert on handbags ( or hair curlers). DW wanted to buy a handbag reduced fro £280 to £140. Checked online , that was a good price. The sales lady said don't buy it today, I will put it to one side for you .Come back tomorrow as we will be reducing it buy another 50% overnight.

• Like 4

When I last went with P&O back end of last year alcohol was 4 x litres of branded for £40, tobacco was also very cheap at about £60 for 250grams which is substantially cheaper than in the UK, my gripe with onboard shopping is although they have some nice gents clothing it is invariably not available in the sizes I want as they hold so little stock.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ozzysdad said:

When I last went with P&O back end of last year alcohol was 4 x litres of branded for £40, tobacco was also very cheap at about £60 for 250grams which is substantially cheaper than in the UK, my gripe with onboard shopping is although they have some nice gents clothing it is invariably not available in the sizes I want as they hold so little stock.

Wow, spirits at £10 a litre would definitely mean I wouldn't have to bother with Gibraltar...😀

1 minute ago, Britboys said:

Wow, spirits at £10 a litre would definitely mean I wouldn't have to bother with Gibraltar...😀

Fortunately we went out of Southampton so I managed to fit my full allowance in my case 🙂 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ozzysdad said:

Fortunately we went out of Southampton so I managed to fit my full allowance in my case 🙂 

Well done! Just going through my head about how to get it all home but fortunately I will be on a Southampton round-trip...

Recently bought a Radley handbag on board the Iona and it was cheaper in my local House of Fraser despite the on board discounts. Buyer beware! Also, don’t forget the import limits and tax that has to be paid. When I landed last in Southampton the customs guys were VERY busy checking luggage etc. If you buy an expensive watch on board for instance they will not inform you of the tax situation 😳