Jim_Iain - Summit Live Post B3B Greenland / Iceland / Canada Aug 7, 19 and 31, 2022

Jim_Iain

18 hours ago, raudacruise said:

On a TA from Barcelona our discussion group for “The Shadow of the Wind” was led by a literature professor from a well-known German university.  I was actually scared to attend at first but the meetings turned out to be no-pressure fun. She was a wonderful teacher.

Reading, book groups, placename tours, lectures are wonderful cruise companions. 🙂 We 4 formed FOTSOTW and get together and share thoughts, read passages, and drink wine and eat pizza and play bridge.The daughter of our traveling companions on this TA cruise met us in Barcelona. Her boyfriend (both early 30's) formally proposed at the Magic Fountain of Montjuïc, with her parents there! So memorable!

4 hours ago, asnaleah said:

Jim, did you and Iain use insect repellent? If so, can you please tell me what kind and did you bring it along in your luggage?  Some of our ports in Brazil (Azamara Pursuit, February) recommend using it. Thanks!

We have plenty if anyone needs any.  We neither use bug spray or nets and virtually saw no bugs.   Maybe since they had such a cold summer they didn't come out.    We saw a couple but nothing like what I had been led to believe.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Loving the simplicity and color in these photos, they have to be some of the best you've posted!

That just caught my eye.   When Iain sees my pictures he often said where did you take that one - I don't remember that"     I simply say open your eyes and smell the roses...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Will do.  If not today.  Soon.  

We have to pack up some tonight.  We have 3 different rooms.  

Apollo, our room attendant, took me to meet Nelson our new room attendant.  Really nice man from Jamaica 

Thank you very much and it's greatly appreciated.  Sorry that you have to pack up and move rooms. Looking forward to reading more about your amazing cruise!  Safe Travels!!!

Hi Jim

I notice you arrive in Reykjavik tomorrow and set sail again at 16:00.

Has there been any chance at the two previous calls in Iceland this week to do the Great Circle Tour.?

It seems a pity to do Iceland and not see the x3 highlights of this scenic country.

The Gulfloss Waterfall,Geysers at Geysir and the effect of the tectonic plate at in the Thingvellir National Park.

60E3087F-CF01-4DB8-9BF8-521B741C3547.thumb.jpeg.d077f3975f3f0925b58342b10bb8a03d.jpeg4964D55C-F227-4577-A1F1-A2CAE544A2CE.thumb.jpeg.15bbf06b9716a56002f2e9b0358007a0.jpeg

Europe on one side North America on the other.

Edited by JeanieC,Aston
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Mark_T said:

So very true, I remember back in the distant past when email had barely been invented, having a wonderful exchange of messages with Raymond E. Feist, when I had read everything he had written so far, and he graciously apologised for not writing quicker, but promised to do his best 🙂

I hate that.   It must have been special have had the opportunity to share with such a wonder writer.    I'm sure you will never forget it.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi Jim

Has there been any chance at the two previous calls in Iceland this week to do the Great Circle Tour.?

It seems a pity to do Iceland and not see the x3 highlights of this scenic country.

The Gulfloss Waterfall,Geysers at Geysir and the effect of the tectonic plate at in the Thingvellir National Park.

60E3087F-CF01-4DB8-9BF8-521B741C3547.thumb.jpeg.d077f3975f3f0925b58342b10bb8a03d.jpeg4964D55C-F227-4577-A1F1-A2CAE544A2CE.thumb.jpeg.15bbf06b9716a56002f2e9b0358007a0.jpeg

Too far from the two ports of call

5 hours ago, ggroup said:

Hi Jim- 

I always enjoy your blogs and this is no exception. What tour did you do in Isafjordur and would you recommend it? 
thanks! 

I arranged a private group tour via

Ísafjörður Guide

Helga Ingeborg Hausner

Seljalandsvegur 85, 400 Ísafjörður

Handy: +354 8450875

www.isafjordurguide.is

>> Kt. 1511512059

Dynjandi tour.

Price: 17.800 ISK/pp.

The tour is in small bus about up to 19 passengers

Would really recommend it.   Only had one issue.   There was this lady from our ship that B I T C H E D and moaned the whole day.    At least she finally quieted down.

When we got to the falls as we exited the bus,  I leaned over the the guide and ask is she mined if I pushed her off the falls into the water.    She broke up laughing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 17

1 hour ago, Mike981 said:

Very Minnesota, or Minne-snow-ta. First 'warmer' winter day and people head out in flip flops, t-shirts and shorts. We live in the land of extreme, -30º at times in the winter and we easily go 90º plus in the summer.

I hate hearing about states in the U.S. that are trying to pass laws to go backwards.

Jim & lian it is great to see you guys, missed you.

Good seeing you Mike.  

Missed you also

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi Jim

That is the only downside of this B2B.  The advantage is we get 2 days in all the other ports. 

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I arranged a private group tour via

Ísafjörður Guide

Helga Ingeborg Hausner

Seljalandsvegur 85, 400 Ísafjörður

Handy: +354 8450875

www.isafjordurguide.is

>> Kt. 1511512059

Dynjandi tour.

Price: 17.800 ISK/pp.

The tour is in small bus about up to 19 passengers

Would really recommend it.   Only had one issue.   There was this lady from our ship that B I T C H E D and moaned the whole day.    At least she finally quieted down.

When we got to the falls as we exited the bus,  I leaned over the the guide and ask is she mined if I pushed her off the falls into the water.    She broke up laughing.

Thank you very much! 

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

OMG! Reminds me of a private tour I booked in Tasmania with 2 vehicles, 8 of us traveling together and 14 people in the group who signed on via the roll call.

In my postings I described this tour as STRENUOUS! Somehow, a couple on our cruise contacted the guide independently of me. The guide asked if I minded adding them and I said sure! They were on bus #2. The woman arrived in stilettos and a skirt! Seeing her navigate the trails was like watching a jenga tower about to tumble! It wasn't her fault entirely as her DH had booked the tour without her input. The husband himself was a piece of work- on the way back to Hobart he asked his driver to find a pharmacy that he could stop enroute for supposedly needed medication! My friend on his bus were not happy since all aboard time was rapidly approaching. Luckily they made it!

I have bookmarked this company for 2024. We'll be with enough friends/family that we will have our own group for a private tour!

Edited by TMLAalum
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, MamaFej said:

You may want to look for a Betty Bowers video about Biblical Marriage. It’s really good. I won’t post a link because someone will likely get their knickers in a wad, and I don’t want to run the risk of endangering the thread. 

I’ll look for the Foy Zimmerman song. Thanks for the heads up. 

i have heard several of Betty bowers video, I think there was a recent one too.

sorry for the typo that’s Roy Zimmerman.  I couldn’t immediately find his one on marriage, but the marriage like the Bible is easily found. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

i have heard several of Betty bowers video, I think there was a recent one too.

sorry for the typo that’s Roy Zimmerman.  I couldn’t immediately find his one on marriage, but the marriage like the Bible is easily found. 

I found it earlier today. Thanks! 

49 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I may overload pictures of the falls.  

Started at parking lot at the bottom of the falls.  Amazing it is wheel chair accessible up to the forts falls and a nice view. 

954B1190-CD19-452E-A8E4-9DA4300FCE43.thumb.jpeg.8b5ac1038082f64c3dd2f02b8687acbe.jpeg

Wheelchair accessible? That’s awesome! 

We love to travel with our young adult kids. My 20 year-old has recently become disabled. He alternates between a wheelchair and using a cane. We keep saying how disappointed we are that he would have to miss so many of the things we have been doing if we ever brought the kids here. We had some crazy awesome hikes to very remote falls the last couple of days. I’m thrilled to know he could see that one. 
I didn’t notice accessibility on the major falls we saw 3 years ago, as it wasn’t at the forefront for us. 

You made my day, Jim! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

Too far from the two ports of call

Agreed,,,,,,but I can’t understand how Celebrity would run such a unique cruise with Iceland as the high point for most people then only have one day in Reykjavik.

A turnaround day at that were nobody could experience what sights Iceland is famous for.

Any cruise that includes Iceland should include Two days in Reykjavik.

My last visit on Reflection in May 2019 did.

Edited by JeanieC,Aston
  • Like 4