Using a CPAP on a flight?

IRMO12HD

I use a CPAP for sleep apnea.  I'll be headed to Europe in 31 days for a TransAtlantic cruise, on a 9 hour flight.  I'll be taking my Dream Station Go in my carryon, but was wondering if anyone has used their CPAP on a flight?  I'll be on Air France operated by Delta.  Per Delta's site, I'll have to lug along my battery (which I've used for camping), so I doubt I'll try to use it.  On the other hand, if I could plug it into a 110 v outlet on the plane . . .  I survived a 15 hour flight from Vancouver BC to Sydney AU without it, and can do so again.  Was just curious . . .

1 hour ago, IRMO12HD said:

On the other hand, if I could plug it into a 110 v outlet on the plane

NO NO NO

You read on the DL website that you have to take the battery.  Guess you missed where it says:

Please note, while electrical outlets are available onboard Delta aircraft, these are not made to support medical device use. We do not provide onboard sources of power for medical devices, so you must bring a source of battery power if you’re planning on bringing a device.

• You must bring batteries to power your medical device

Finally, the fact that it is an AF marketed flight does not matter.  Inflight electronic use is governed by the operating carrier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

NO NO NO

You read on the DL website that you have to take the battery.  Guess you missed where it says:

Please note, while electrical outlets are available onboard Delta aircraft, these are not made to support medical device use. We do not provide onboard sources of power for medical devices, so you must bring a source of battery power if you’re planning on bringing a device.

• You must bring batteries to power your medical device

Finally, the fact that it is an AF marketed flight does not matter.  Inflight electronic use is governed by the operating carrier.

Thanks, @FlyerTalker, I didn't express myself well.  I won't be using it as I don't want to lug the battery along just for the 9-hour flight.  I wondered if anyone had experienced using their CPAP on a flight, and whether exceptions were ever made for using the electrical outlets.  

14 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

I wondered if anyone had experienced using their CPAP on a flight, and whether exceptions were ever made for using the electrical outlets.  

I think FT's post was pretty clear, and it's accurate.   You can't use the outlets for a CPAP.  You must use your own battery.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

I think FT's post was pretty clear, and it's accurate.   You can't use the outlets for a CPAP.  You must use your own battery.

Thanks, I understood that.  Still hoping for input on whether anyone has used their CPAP while onboard a flight.  

I was seeking impressions vs specific information -- but here goes:

My main concerns with using a CPAP on a plane are:

1.  Where do you put the CPAP?  On the floor by your feet?  I assume the battery would be on the floor.

2.  If you wear a mask and have a nasal mask on the CPAP, is there a way to use both?

3.  Has anyone tried using the BreatheRite strips in place of a CPAP?

4.  Was it "worth" lugging the battery and using your CPAP on the plane (assuming CPAP use is optional and not mandatory for an individual)?

I was seeking impressions vs specific information -- but here goes:

My main concerns with using a CPAP on a plane are:

1.  Where do you put the CPAP?  On the floor by your feet?  I assume the battery would be on the floor.

Wherever it will fit.

2.  If you wear a mask and have a nasal mask on the CPAP, is there a way to use both?

You could try at home to see.

The strips just hold the nose open.  Far different than actual air being pressured into your lungs.

4.  Was it "worth" lugging the battery and using your CPAP on the plane (assuming CPAP use is optional and not mandatory for an individual)?

Only each individual can make that assessment.  Just like some people think a large suite is a necessity on a cruise while others are happy with a window cabin.

You have all the facts -- seems you want others to make your decision for you.

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2022 at 10:13 PM, IRMO12HD said:

Have you tried, or talked to your doctor, about a tongue retaining device? My husband uses one instead of the CPAP because he actually finds it more helpful for his sleep apnea.  It is the size of a pacifier and keeps your tongue out as you sleep so that your breathing is unobstructed.

Edited by vjmatty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2022 at 9:13 PM, FlyerTalker said:

Wherever it will fit.

You could try at home to see.

The strips just hold the nose open.  Far different than actual air being pressured into your lungs.

Only each individual can make that assessment.  Just like some people think a large suite is a necessity on a cruise while others are happy with a window cabin.

You have all the facts -- seems you want others to make your decision for you.

Hardly.  I wasn't looking for facts.  I was hoping for impressions and feedback from someone who has actually used their CPAP on a plane.  While I appreciate your point about trying to use the face mask and nasal mask together at home -- definitely valid -- I feel that your other statements are not as helpful.  My original post was specifically directed to people who " ha[ve] used their CPAP on a flight? "   

7 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Have you tried, or talked to your doctor, about a tongue retaining device? My husband uses one instead of the CPAP because he actually finds it more helpful for his sleep apnea.  It is the size of a pacifier and keeps your tongue out as you sleep so that your breathing is unobstructed.

Thank you, @vjmatty.  I had not heard of this technique, but will check with my doctor.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IRMO12HD said:

Hardly.  I wasn't looking for facts.  I was hoping for impressions and feedback from someone who has actually used their CPAP on a plane.

And a week later, the number that have are.....drumroll......ZERO.  No one posted.

Perhaps the inherent difficulties of using a CPAP onboard, including the use of batteries AND approval from both the airline and the flight crew, truly limit the number of people who use one onboard.

But please - feel free to disregard any facts presented and keep waiting for "impressions".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2022 at 6:21 AM, IRMO12HD said:

I use a CPAP for sleep apnea.  I'll be headed to Europe in 31 days for a TransAtlantic cruise, on a 9 hour flight.  I'll be taking my Dream Station Go in my carryon, but was wondering if anyone has used their CPAP on a flight?  I'll be on Air France operated by Delta.  Per Delta's site, I'll have to lug along my battery (which I've used for camping), so I doubt I'll try to use it.  On the other hand, if I could plug it into a 110 v outlet on the plane . . .  I survived a 15 hour flight from Vancouver BC to Sydney AU without it, and can do so again.  Was just curious . . .

Taking your CPAP machines with you while catching a flight is okay. My uncle has been using this for a long time and usually carries it with every flight. You have to follow some methods for a peaceful journey. First, you pack your CPAP prescription from your doctor in your CPAP case. You already said that it is a 9-hour flight, so pick a seat with power access if you need to use your CPAP machine. Get final approval from the airline agency. Do not keep your CPAP machine inside the luggage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So why does Delta, and perhaps other airlines, say they can’t be used plugged in if the aircraft has 110v power available at the seat? When I search online, I find:

“Also worth noting: ResMed CPAP devices are able to run on the 400Hz power supply found on aircrafts…” https://www.resmed.com/en-us/sleep-apnea/sleep-blog/cpap-air-travel-what-you-should-know/

A letter from manufacturer indicating their CPAP can be used with no modification. Whttps://document.resmed.com/documents/articles/travel-compliance-letter_amer_eng.pdf

Just because the CPAP manufacturer says it CAN run on aircraft power does NOT mean that the airline allows you to do so.  The airline, in combination with federal law, regulates the operation of the features on the plane.

Take it up with Delta.

• 2 weeks later...

Airline may not endorse using in-seat power for medical devices to avoid being challenged when the specific outlet is not working, when a seating assignment is changed, etc.  They won't state in writing, so that they can't be sued for not delivering stable power for the duration of the flight to every single seat, on every single flight.

Also, if the power is not consistent and someone's device malfunctioned or shorted out... imagine the lawsuit!

So, no advice on whether or not trying to use your machine aboard is worth the hassle, but I do entirely see how the airline is protecting itself from potential liability.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 9:08 PM, 6rugrats said:

But, yu 

But, you cannot use the power on a plane to power your CPAP, you must use your battery.

I am not sure about it.My uncle used to take it while travelling. I will ask him and let u know.

On 8/22/2022 at 5:46 PM, Sue Do-Over said:

Airline may not endorse using in-seat power for medical devices to avoid being challenged when the specific outlet is not working, when a seating assignment is changed, etc.  They won't state in writing, so that they can't be sued for not delivering stable power for the duration of the flight to every single seat, on every single flight.

Also, if the power is not consistent and someone's device malfunctioned or shorted out... imagine the lawsuit!

So, no advice on whether or not trying to use your machine aboard is worth the hassle, but I do entirely see how the airline is protecting itself from potential liability.

Thanks for providing an answer that provides some plausible explanation for the airline’s policy. 👍 Much more helpful than the preceding snark.🙄

Thanks for the responses -- as I get ready to embark on my flight, I won't be using the CPAP on the flight, mainly due to the battery requirement.  My original question was, I guess, poorly worded, given some of the responses.  What I hoped to get was responses and experiences from people who had actually used their CPAP while aboard a flight.  In the end, what I thought might be the end game was in fact the case -- most airlines require CPAP users on a flight to use battery power versus power outlets.  Not an option for me, as my current CPAP and my travel CPAP aren't compatible with the battery I have, which I used with my old machine when camping. 

The problem with some CPAP machines is the heating element used to aerosolize the distilled water.  Just the air pump doesn't use too much power.  But when the heating strip is on, it increases the wattage used by the unit to a level that may exceed the available power in an airline seat.  Those 120 volt outlets are only designed to keep your laptop running on a long flight, not a medical device with a heating element.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...