Permanent Cutbacks on Carnival

JT1962

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

If you want an a-la-carte, nothing is included, cruise experience, more power to you. Historically this is not how cruising has worked however.

Are you kidding?  The experience you describe is the backbone of many a Carnival cruiser.  The type that drives to the port instead of flying.  The type that brings a birth certificate and ID instead of investing in a passport.  The type that carries on a 12 pack of soda pp.  The type that carries on 2 bottles of wine and has their SO also carry on 2 bottles of wine.  The type that lines up at guest services on the last sea day to remove gratuities.  

Luckily the last type is only a small percentage, but the previous types I listed pertain to many cruisers on Carnival.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Are you kidding?  The experience you describe is the backbone of many a Carnival cruiser.  The type that drives to the port instead of flying.  The type that brings a birth certificate and ID instead of investing in a passport.  The type that carries on a 12 pack of soda pp.  The type that carries on 2 bottles of wine and has their SO also carry on 2 bottles of wine.  The type that lines up at guest services on the last sea day to remove gratuities.  

Luckily the last type is only a small percentage, but the previous types I listed pertain to many cruisers on Carnival.

What the H--l does driving to the port instead of flying have to do with anything here?  I am that "type" as you put it.  Please enlighten me as to what you think this says about me.

Edited by ShakyBeef
had used "as to" twice in one sentence - ick!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ShakyBeef said:

What the H--l does driving to the port instead of flying have to do with anything here?  I am that "type" as you put it.  Please be so kind as to enlighten me as to what you think this says about me.

It is one of Carnival's competitive advantages that they spread the ships out to reach more potential customers.

And when Carnival switched from Coke to Pepsi, yes, we will carry on some Cokes. Not only do I own stock in Carnival, I (and Warren Buffett) own stock in Coke.

I guess on the other cruise lines people carry on box wines, but am not sure.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

So much betting going on. I bet most people who threaten to leave Carnival don't, or they soon return.

I too blame the ones that are too meek to try another line for the cutbacks.  Why give them MORE when they will always smile at getting less.  It's easy to fool a newbie.  They simply don't know.  How they keep fooling 10 year, 20 year, 30+ year guests is beyond me.  Loyalty to a single cruise line makes no sense. 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This Is literally the only thing I care about and it’s great to hear that it’s only been paused! Thanks for this article Op

The extraordinary and delicious Chocolate Extravaganza buffet, typically offered on the last Fun Day at Sea, ” 

On 8/4/2022 at 6:03 AM, JT1962 said:

None of those affect me either, other than no more door hangers for room service breakfast.  I know there have been lots of complaints about Pizza not being available 24 hours. 

I swear I feel like every time I order the complementary room service breakfast,  I highly regret it and still walk up to the Lido after doing so. XD it’s not that it’s bad it’s that it just sounds like a much better idea at 10pm after a days of drinking

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I thought it was one bottle of wine per legal adult passenger.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

It is one of Carnival's competitive advantages that they spread the ships out to reach more potential customers.

Although I agree with you on this, I suspect this is not the point CruisinSusan70 was attempting to make when she started out that list of "types" with "The type that drives to the port instead of flying".  I'm really curious as to what she was trying to imply about me and others of my type.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I thought it was one bottle of wine per legal adult passenger.

It is.  Cruisinsusan70 was grouping those who drive to ports with those who knowingly break the rules (like the wine bottle limit) as well as those who are cheap or just horrible (tip-removers).  Still wondering about this...

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

What the H--l does driving to the port instead of flying have to do with anything here?  I am that "type" as you put it.  Please enlighten me as to what you think this says about me.

Time to put your wondering to an end.

There is a high percentage of Carnival cruiser that wants to vacation as cheaply as possible.  That is why I listed all of the various reasons that many want to save money.  Driving to the port, not buying a passport, carrying on soda, carrying on wine and sometimes getting away with carrying on  two instead of one bottle by having their SO go through a different security line.  These are all various methods to save money.  There's nothing wrong with it, but there is a substantial percentage of cruisers on Carnival that do one or multiple of the things I have listed.  Have been cruising on Carnival for over 35 years so I've seen a lot.  

Carnival has many secondary ports that people drive to that the smaller ships in the fleet utilize for 3-6 day cruises.  If this pertains to you, great, you're adding to the bottom line and as a stockholder I thank you.

If you drive to the port, great, more power to you if you end up saving money instead of flying in the day before and staying in a hotel.  Didn't mean to lump you in with those that sneak on extra wine or take off tips but they are all methods of saving money that many Carnival cruisers do.  With the exception of removing the gratuities, I have no problem with any of the things I listed as they are all things that I have witnessed first hand or have read about on the various boards.  Hope that this post gives you a bit more clarity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ray98 said:

While these may be positive for the customer you cannot overlook most save or make Carnival money.  Technology is doing the work a paid employee used to, they are providing you with more options to spend money and as for ship upgrades they have to keep up with the competition or they don't get the best return from fare prices.  You can't pretend all these things enacted just to benefit their customers.  Either way, none of that has anything to do with eliminating longstanding practices on cruise ships.

I beg to differ that it kind of does.  NO business can continue to add to the services that they provide while still maintaining every single old thing as well.  They would price themselves right out of the market.  Either that or we start paying twice as much for our trips.  There has to be a balance between new and old and as you put it "fare prices."  Can't have it all.

Again, I believe your statement alludes to exactly what I said.  People are more upset that they feel something is being taken from them, then the actual thing itself.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

There is a high percentage of Carnival cruiser that wants to vacation as cheaply as possible.  That is why I listed all of the various reasons that many want to save money.  Driving to the port, not buying a passport, carrying on soda, carrying on wine and sometimes getting away with carrying on  two instead of one bottle by having their SO go through a different security line.  These are all various methods to save money.  There's nothing wrong with it, but there is a substantial percentage of cruisers on Carnival that do one or multiple of the things I have listed.  Have been cruising on Carnival for over 35 years so I've seen a lot.  

Carnival has many secondary ports that people drive to that the smaller ships in the fleet utilize for 3-6 day cruises.  If this pertains to you, great, you're adding to the bottom line and as a stockholder I thank you.

If you drive to the port, great, more power to you if you end up saving money instead of flying in the day before and staying in a hotel.  Didn't mean to lump you in with those that sneak on extra wine or take off tips but they are all methods of saving money that many Carnival cruisers do.  With the exception of removing the gratuities, I have no problem with any of the things I listed as they are all things that I have witnessed first hand or have read about on the various boards.  Hope that this post gives you a bit more clarity.

Thank you for answering.  This did give me some clarity on your point of view.  Maybe I can help clarify some things for you...

I drive to port because:

• I pack a lot (because I dress well and like to have choices in my wardrobe and shoes as well as because I like to have certain comforts and "luxury items", and I have to DIY so much (meaning packing more) to make up for so many of the Carnival cutbacks, ei: memory foam mattress topper, teabox with assortment of real teas, drinking straws, etc.
  • I hate all the hassles of post-9/11 flying (and now its even worse with all the recent flight cancellations / delays).
  • My drive-to port of Baltimore offers me the size and class of ship (Spirit on Carnival, Vision on RCI) that I prefer above all others.
  • I can get up in the morning and drive to a very efficiently-run cruiseport in less than 2.5 hours. And I am onboard and enjoying my vacation within an hour of arriving at port.
  • I only fly when necessary and it has nothing to do with cost.

You lumping those of us who drive to port with some of these other "types"(your word) was making inaccurate, offensive assumptions.

Cost is not a big concern for me in a cruise. Quality of product and experience is.

And for the record, just to further dispel your inaccurate assumptions about "the type that drives to the port" being cheap:

• I book Suites and high-end excursions.
  • I spend freely onboard.
  • I will not take a cruise less than 7 days long. I prefer over 10 days.
  • I never break any cruiseIine rules (and HATE smuggling).
  • I almost always increase my auto-grats as well as leave additional cash tips. And would NEVER cancel or decrease my auto-grats.
  • I give additional cash tips with each drink order.
  • I and every member of my family has had a passport since we started traveling internationally in the earl 2000's (my youngest at 10 months, with my hands visible in her passport picture, holding her up🤣).
  • I carry on my one (and DH, his) bottle of wine because I am allowed to and for the convenience of having the brand of my choice in my Suite as well as a little cost savings.
  • I loathe dishonesty and cheating (this includes smuggling).

And I, too, am a CCL shareholder.  Many more shares than necessary for the OBC, BTW.😉

So maybe you should refrain from judging other cruise passengers based on faulty assumptions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I also take advantage of one of Carnival's "secondary" ports. So driving to port makes sense when I can be at the terminal in about 30 minutes. Are the itineraries the most diverse? No. But I can have a quick run to the Bahamas or a 6 day that gives me 3 days in Bermuda, in a suite on a Dream class ship. Its easy, quick, and convenient. Very smart on Carnival's part. I do, however, fly when I feel the urge for a different experience, like my 8 day Mardi Gras cruise next May. So, I suppose that I consider myself thrifty, not cheap!!

Edited by Sea Raven

5 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

…or you just happen to live in/near a cruise port!

I’ve been on twelve cruises.  I’ve flown to four of them and the other eight were from my home port.  I’m MUCH more likely to take a cruise if it’s from my home port.  Here are a few of the reasons why:

• I HATE everything about flying

•  If I fly, I have to either take more time off work (and away from my pets) or else book shorter itineraries 

• Added stress of issues stemming from air travel (lost luggage, delayed or canceled flights, etc.) ruining the trip

• Saves money

Of those, saving money is definitely the LEAST important one for me… 

• Like 2

Flying these days is a crap shoot at best. For our next fly to cruise I am putting both airtags and tile pro trackers in all checked bags. And as I type, I see the flights for a cruise later this year have changed, AGAIN.

Doesn't matter what airline you pick, or how much you pay.  There are always going to be changes made from the time a flight is published at 10 months out until 30 days prior.

In 35 years of flying and working for airlines (with a million+ flown miles), I've never seen a schedule made 90+ days out actually remain the same as when I booked it.  

By the same measure, I've never not had a ticket purchased 90+ days out be honored.  A few times I've been rebooked on nonstops that weren't an option when I booked and ticketed.  A few times I've had to be rebooked on another airline and connect somewhere else.  But... I've never missed a meeting or a sailing because of a change.

Edited by Lane Hog

6 minutes ago, Lane Hog said:

There are always going to be changes made from the time a flight is published at 10 months out until 30 days prior.  

Not like this year. I'm used to them on Delta, but we have 3 different flights on 3 different airlines. Of course 2 are to LHR.

7 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Thank you for answering.  This did give me some clarity on your point of view.  Maybe I can help clarify some things for you...

I drive to port because:

• I pack a lot (because I dress well and like to have choices in my wardrobe and shoes as well as because I like to have certain comforts and "luxury items", and I have to DIY so much (meaning packing more) to make up for so many of the Carnival cutbacks, ei: memory foam mattress topper, teabox with assortment of real teas, drinking straws, etc.
  • I hate all the hassles of post-9/11 flying (and now its even worse with all the recent flight cancellations / delays).
  • My drive-to port of Baltimore offers me the size and class of ship (Spirit on Carnival, Vision on RCI) that I prefer above all others.
  • I can get up in the morning and drive to a very efficiently-run cruiseport in less than 2.5 hours. And I am onboard and enjoying my vacation within an hour of arriving at port.
  • I only fly when necessary and it has nothing to do with cost.

You lumping those of us who drive to port with some of these other "types"(your word) was making inaccurate, offensive assumptions.

Cost is not a big concern for me in a cruise. Quality of product and experience is.

And for the record, just to further dispel your inaccurate assumptions about "the type that drives to the port" being cheap:

• I book Suites and high-end excursions.
  • I spend freely onboard.
  • I will not take a cruise less than 7 days long. I prefer over 10 days.
  • I never break any cruiseIine rules (and HATE smuggling).
  • I almost always increase my auto-grats as well as leave additional cash tips. And would NEVER cancel or decrease my auto-grats.
  • I give additional cash tips with each drink order.
  • I and every member of my family has had a passport since we started traveling internationally in the earl 2000's (my youngest at 10 months, with my hands visible in her passport picture, holding her up🤣).
  • I carry on my one (and DH, his) bottle of wine because I am allowed to and for the convenience of having the brand of my choice in my Suite as well as a little cost savings.
  • I loathe dishonesty and cheating (this includes smuggling).

And I, too, am a CCL shareholder.  Many more shares than necessary for the OBC, BTW.😉

So maybe you should refrain from judging other cruise passengers based on faulty assumptions.

You were upset about my lumping you into the group of frugal cruisers when you stated that cost was not a concern since you stay in suites, go on high end excursions, etc. 

Your preferred port is a secondary one with Baltimore, so you do go along with the assumption that people drive to secondary ports such as Baltimore, Charleston, Jacksonville, Tampa, etc.

Sorry you took offense to my generalization, but I will 100% stand behind it because you are the exception to the rule.  

There are multiple threads on CC about cruisers staying on a week or longer cruise by just using a carry on and a backpack, whereas you bring extra baggage to provide more creature comforts.  

I listed a plethora of possible different reasons why many think that a certain percentage of Carnival cruisers are thrifty.  Just because you drive to your favorite port to cruise on two different ships from Carnival and Royal does not mean that the rest of the list that I mentioned pertains to you.  You inferred something that wasn't there.

8 hours ago, starstruck05 said:

I high percentage of ALL cruisers want to cruise as cheaply as possible. That's why they buy drink package or book deal with them included. I drive to the port because I literally can see the dock from my front porch. I live 10 minutes from NOLA dock. An hour and half from Moblie and 6 hours from Galveston which would be a waste of money to fly to Houston because you still have to get the hour away to Galveston. It's called thinking smarter not harder. If I'm cheap so be it but also have been able to go on 2 cruises this year and 2 more coming. Your post is a bit insulting and delusional. I carry Sprite on the ship because I don't drink Pepsi products and even before they switched, I carried drinks on because I rather spend money on cocktails than sodas.

I really don't know what point you were trying to make but to lump people together in your judgements is insane. 

The point I was making was making a list of why many people that cruise on Carnival are frugal.  It's your opinion that it was delusional, it's my opinion that it's fact, combined with over 20 cruises on Carnival, another 20 on other lines and following many threads on Cruise Critic for the past 10 years and just recently deciding to no longer be a lurker, but a poster.  Many people drive to the port, many people do not own a passport, many people carry on soda, some people cut their gratuities.  If any ONE item on that list pertains to you, so be it.  But I did not state nor imply that every item on the list was applicable to every person that followed one of the items in order to save money.  

Edited by CruizinSusan70