VIKING SEA CONDITION

keokukjoe

Just reading that several of the older vessels have not been renovated or put into dry dock and have torn, worn carpeting and furnishings that are in disrepair (ie torn and stained leather and fabric). Does anyone know the state of repair of the Viking Sea if you've recently been on it? Thanks.

1 hour ago, keokukjoe said:

Just reading that several of the older vessels have not been renovated or put into dry dock and have torn, worn carpeting and furnishings that are in disrepair (ie torn and stained leather and fabric). Does anyone know the state of repair of the Viking Sea if you've recently been on it? Thanks.

The Viking ships only drydock every 5-years at present, which is a regulatory requirement for special surveys. The cruise lines also incorporate hotel upgrades/maintenance into these periods.

However, the ship's crew, supplemented by shore-based contractors provide continuous maintenance. As an example, when we were on Viking Sun, the entire carpet in the Main Restaurant was replaced while we were sailing.

Upholstered items can also be repaired by the crew or shore-based contractors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keokukjoe said:

This is a good way to get rumors started and I’m somewhat dismayed at this. 

We were on the Sea in March/April and it was in top shape.

• Like 4

We were on the Sea December 2021.  One arm of the sofa in our PV room needed some reupholstering and we noticed that the cream colored cushions for the aft outdoor furniture on deck 8 has some stains but that is IT.  The crew was constantly working on something - painting forward areas of the promenade deck, revarnishing wooden railings, painting deck 8 railing sections - never ending work.

• Thanks 1

If something in cabin is out of order, needing maintenance or repair, pax should report it to cabin steward.  I Don't think it's complaining.

Steward may not have noticed, or not have been aware.

I have mentioned such things to steward or guest services occasionally, (on V and other cruiselines), and all requests had been promptly addressed, to my satisfaction.  

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

I would be more dismayed if after spending  big money for a room to find it not in tip top shape.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, hutch1994 said:

I would be more dismayed if after spending  big money for a room to find it not in tip top shape.

If there are maintenance issue in the cabin, our Steward had reported them before we even noticed them. However, in the unlikely event your cabin steward is not so diligent, if your mention the issue to him/her, Engineering are often present within the hour.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 1:37 PM, LindaS272 said:

4 hours ago, hutch1994 said:

Of course, but the OP is throwing shade at Viking without citing evidence. Not appreciated.

• Like 1

On the other hand, OP is trying out to find out if there is any validity to what he read. Yes, maybe it would have been better if he actually cited where he had read it but maybe OP was unsure about how to handle it.  I'm in favor of cutting the OP a bit of slack.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When someone makes negative comments about several Viking vessels (as the OP did), and cites "reading" as the basis for those comments (as the OP also did), the lawyer part of me cries out for more specifics. Where did you read about the Viking ships? Do you have a link? Did your source identify the specific ships? Do your concerns relate to the ships' public areas, to the passenger cabins, or both? Etc.

Absent this detail, a better way to frame the query might have been to delete the "reading" sentence entirely and instead ask just the question about the Viking Sea (which several people on this thread did answer directly). That's my wordsmithing critique for what it's worth. 

• Like 1

I am NOT trolling or being critical of Viking. I consider these forums are to ask questions and get honest answers without being "attacked" for doing so. As other contributors appear to feel the same way that I do, I do have to suspect, that unfortunately, some members of this community may have other motives or too much time on their hands. If you want specifics as to why I asked this question, just scroll down to the topic Viking Star started by "quebecgirl" and read the entries. One was particularly bothersome: "We were on the Star in Dec.-Jan.  In my opinion it was definitely showing it’s age.  In our PV1 stateroom, the sofa had ripped arms and the carpet was really worn.  When we got home I called Viking to complain and sent pictures.  They apologized and gave us $1000 voucher for a future cruise." Another source was from the "site we cannot quote" on CC that starts with the letter "F". 

When I am paying a premium price for an upgraded cabin (or any cabin for that matter), I do not feel it is my responsibility to report to the crew items that need repair. THEY should be pro-active, NO EXCUSES. Perhaps Viking isn't the "premium or luxury" line I assumed it was when I booked. Only time will tell. In the mean time, for those whose feathers I might have ruffled (HaqdeluxeLindaS272 and anyone else), if my posts "upset" you so much, why don't you just block me. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, SJD117 said:

When someone makes negative comments about several Viking vessels (as the OP did), and cites "reading" as the basis for those comments (as the OP also did), the lawyer part of me cries out for more specifics. Where did you read about the Viking ships? Do you have a link? Did your source identify the specific ships? Do your concerns relate to the ships' public areas, to the passenger cabins, or both? Etc.

Absent this detail, a better way to frame the query might have been to delete the "reading" sentence entirely and instead ask just the question about the Viking Sea (which several people on this thread did answer directly). That's my wordsmithing critique for what it's worth. 

See my sources above.