NCL first cruise line to remove ALL Vaccine Requirements!!

On 8/8/2022 at 10:33 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

I get what you are saying, but how many of those have unvaccinated kids over 11?

Up until today, NCL required 100%  vaccinated over 11. I think there will be enough unvaccinated passengers over the age of 11 who will now book a cruise. I have four members of my immediate circle that are booking today. Niece/nephew with their kids. They are in their 30's and early 40's. 

I agree. But at the end of the day, What difference does it make?  Vaccinated or not, one can still get Covid. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 8/8/2022 at 12:42 PM, RichYak said:

The law of averages will prevail. During the summer months with more kids, the unvaxxed % may be higher. During the winter months with no kids, much lower.

Bottom line, any target is meaningless. As more people are educated and realize that the unvaccinated are no more of a danger to them than vaccinated passengers, it will no longer 

12 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I agree. But at the end of the day, What difference does it make?  Vaccinated or not, one can still get Covid. 

But will being vaccinated affect how severe a case you might come down with?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

There is lots of new data is emerging on this subject. I'm sure NCL has access to the new studies and has determined that vaccine status is no longer a significant risk or they wouldn't have ripped off the bandaid entirely in one swoop. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Absolutely.

Not so fast. Covid is fluid. What was true in 2021 may no longer be true now.  I can't link to the studies without breaking covid rules here on CC, but you may want to take a look at the most current international data. 

I suspect NCL has access to just how much of a risk unvaccinated are for serious illness (when compared to the vaccinated) and they have determined that the risk is low enough to welcome the unvaccinated onboard.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Not so fast. Covid is fluid. What was true in 2021 may no longer be true now.  I can't link to the studies without breaking covid rules here on CC, but you may want to take a look at the most current international data. 

I suspect NCL has access to just how much of a risk unvaccinated are for serious illness (when compared to the vaccinated) and they have determined that the risk is low enough to welcome the unvaccinated onboard.

I was just responding to the question about whether being vaccinated can have an effect on the severity of it. And I said "absolutely," because my wife (who has several co-morbidities) has had Covid 3 times, the 1st one before the vaccination and the other 2 after. And the ones post-vaccination were much, much milder. That's why I say it absolutely CAN have an effect. Will that be the case every time for every person? I can't say for sure, but I do know it affected my wife's bouts with Covid.

• Like 8

On 8/8/2022 at 7:49 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

NCL is leading the entire industry in removing vaccine requirements for cruisers!!

This is huge news. MUCH bigger than just removing pre-testing (although the unvaccinated will need still to be tested for the time being, this too shall pass). Since only 67% of the United States is vaccinated, this move give NCL a real competitive edge in the industry. The other cruise lines will follow in removing their vaccine requirements too, but for the time being NCL is the only line to allow 100% unvaccinated. 

image.png.e6c4f0ea61afd3b5dc5be7c3015ee7f9.png

Of course, passengers will still need to follow the rules of the foreign ports they visit. I believe Spain is the only port in the EU with any covid protocols. I also believe Canada and Bermuda still require vaccination and testing. Rumor has it Grand Caymen has removed all covid protocols but I haven't been able to confirm that yet.

I know this sentiment won't be shared by all, but IMO What a glorious day for NCL!! 

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

NCL leads the way 👍

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I was just responding to the question about whether being vaccinated can have an effect on the severity of it. And I said "absolutely," because my wife (who has several co-morbidities) has had Covid 3 times, the 1st one before the vaccination and the other 2 after. And the ones post-vaccination were much, much milder. That's why I say it absolutely CAN have an effect. Will that be the case every time for every person? I can't say for sure, but I do know it affected my wife's bouts with Covid.

Edit since you saw my reply and I don't want to break covid rules 🙂 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I understand, but how do you KNOW that it was the vaccinee that prevented her from less serious covid illness?

Couldn't it just as easily be the fact that covid itself is weaker? 

This is what the new data emerging is suggesting.

I swore I wouldn't go down this rabbit hole, but here I am again, LOL. Well of course, I don't know for sure, it's just a guess. I do know from news reports that medical experts have suggested people with rebound cases of Covid tend to experience milder symptoms if they've been vaccinated (although one could argue that people who've recovered, unvaccinated, could also have milder symptoms). The truth is, I don't know for sure. What I *do* know for sure is that I'm a fan of NCL's policy and I suspect that most people aren't going to change their minds about this virus based on what I say. CC is many things, but it's no peer-reviewed journal of medical experts. As a friend of mine used to say, "my opinion plus about $2 will buy you a cup of coffee." 🙂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Everyone is different; so, there is nothing to discuss among billions of people.  I can say just as an example: I've almost never been sick between May and October my entire life (since I can remember) living half of my life in damp cold city; however, upon getting 3-rd experiment in February (the ONLY reason I allowed it was to keep cruising), I have been having (within less than 4 months!) cold-like feeling 4 times (lasting between 7-20 days each!!!) starting... in ... May!  I've been on 3 vacations during that time in around fresh warm salty water and air and yet...  So, what does it mean?  It is not any theory, It is what I'm physically experiencing now.  The questions (remains in my head daily) are what have I done to myself?  Why did I do it? Will such a "fortune" stay in me forever?  Again, it is not a discussion, simply a state of mind and reality.

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

And one more anecdotal example--brother in law got a very bad case of Covid one week after his booster and had to be intubated. And then he recovered totally. The nurses and the doctor all said it was miraculous and had to be because of the vaccine.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Possibly.  Back in May I came down with covid in Belize.  I was traveling with a mixed party of vaxed and nonvaxed friends.  Three of us tested positive.  I was feeling pretty good most of the time and tested negative 5 days before my friends.  One of them never tested negative but was allowed to go home because he had spent 10 days in isolation.  The rules about testing negative to come back to the US have been lifted since then.  I think NCL has figured out that we all assume a certain level of risk with cruising with covid...something that appears to be here to stay.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kirtihk said:

Everyone is different; so, there is nothing to discuss among billions of people.  I can say just as an example: I've almost never been sick between May and October my entire life (since I can remember) living half of my life in damp cold city; however, upon getting 3-rd experiment in February (the ONLY reason I allowed it was to keep cruising), I have been having (within less than 4 months!) cold-like feeling 4 times (lasting between 7-20 days each!!!) starting... in ... May!  I've been on 3 vacations during that time in around fresh warm salty water and air and yet...  So, what does it mean?  It is not any theory, It is what I'm physically experiencing now.  The questions (remains in my head daily) are what have I done to myself?  Why did I do it? Will such a "fortune" stay in me forever?  Again, it is not a discussion, simply a state of mind and reality.

I know of a few people who have experienced the same phenomena you described.  May I ask which cruise lines you were traveling that required the booster?  I stopped after the 2nd jab and probably won't get boosted because I am not in a high risk category. 

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I know of a few people who have experienced the same phenomena you described.  May I ask which cruise lines you were traveling that required the booster?  I stopped after the 2nd jab and probably won't get boosted because I am not in a high risk category. 

Ponant (I cruised with them June 24 - July 10 from Nice to Istanbul). The “funniest” of that cruise was they were require masks non-stop; I was checking weekly hoping they will drop it; they dropped it a 3 weeks prior to my cruise!!! I came to the ship just “in time” - they forced masks again starting our cruise (a few crew members tested + three days prior to the end of the previous cruise). Also only 2 European countries require mask now, and sure enough both of them were on our itinerary (Italy and Greece). I have not worn masks anywhere except planes for last 2+ years; so, I had so much “fun” doing that for 2 weeks during my cruise. I am glad I am a drinker; so, I avoided this nonsense at least during that time or tried to be outside away from others (which is extremely difficult to accomplish on luxury yacht-type ship - there were only 160 passengers on 6 short decks with only 2 of them having outside area).

It took RCL and Celebrity 3 days to join the party. They didn't go with a total removal of the band aid. Like NCL, testing is required for the unvaccinated and ports rules trump the changes. But, not all sailings from Florida are included. 

Like everything with covid, the situation remains fluid. For those cruising in the near future you will need to keep abreast of the changes and how they may/may not effect your sailing. 

image.png.f148f1fe29ea38122a1db9658739e4eb.png

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/28030-royal-caribbean-dropping-vaccine-requirements-for-select-cruises.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the event you haven't heard...

It took Royal and Celebrity just 3 days to join NCL in dropping vaccine requirements. They have a few more rules and didn't rip off the band aid entirely like NCL, but it's a great start.

Like everything with Covid, protocols remain fluid. It's important everyone reads carefully as the rules for each cruise are dependent on several factors.

image.png.269d028896c66ffd5fb33f702acab902.png

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/28030-royal-caribbean-dropping-vaccine-requirements-for-select-cruises.html

7 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

In the event you haven't heard...

It took Royal and Celebrity just 3 days to join NCL in dropping vaccine requirements. They have a few more rules and didn't rip off the band aid entirely like NCL, but it's a great start.

Like everything with Covid, protocols remain fluid. It's important everyone reads carefully as the rules for each cruise are dependent on several factors.

image.png.269d028896c66ffd5fb33f702acab902.png

Hi, I’m a little confused. From these specific home ports, a vax isn’t required for the whole ship? But can an unvaccinated passenger leave from a port in Florida, for example, and be within the percentage allowed of unvaccinated per sailing from the announcement before this? 
Looking to book something for April 2023 from Florida or NY. Thank you 

1 hour ago, Gonflipin said:

Hi, I’m a little confused. From these specific home ports, a vax isn’t required for the whole ship? But can an unvaccinated passenger leave from a port in Florida, for example, and be within the percentage allowed of unvaccinated per sailing from the announcement before this? 

You should ask that in the Royal/Celebrity forums.  We're having enough trouble here just understanding the NCL requirements!  😉

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gonflipin said:

There are no percentage allowances anymore on celebrity, RCL, or NCL. Ships are 100% open to all unvaccinated.

The rcl/celebrity announcement last week about percentages  is no longer relevant. Covid policies remain extremely fluid and chance rapidly. 

I’d go ahead and book your trip for April of 2023 without worry. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I swore I wouldn't go down this rabbit hole, but here I am again, LOL. Well of course, I don't know for sure, it's just a guess. I do know from news reports that medical experts have suggested people with rebound cases of Covid tend to experience milder symptoms if they've been vaccinated (although one could argue that people who've recovered, unvaccinated, could also have milder symptoms). The truth is, I don't know for sure. What I *do* know for sure is that I'm a fan of NCL's policy and I suspect that most people aren't going to change their minds about this virus based on what I say. CC is many things, but it's no peer-reviewed journal of medical experts. As a friend of mine used to say, "my opinion plus about $2 will buy you a cup of coffee." 🙂

I uprated this comment for its sheer, level-headed honesty.  Without even stating whether I agree with the sentiment, the prefice was “this is what I think, but I don’t know for sure.”

Bravo.  

I will give 10 times more credence to an opinion posed as that was than someone who just blurts out “there are plenty of studies showing…” and then they don’t even cite their imaginary studies before stating their opinion as some kind of researched, informed fact.  

• Like 4

So NCL will lift vaccine requirements on September 3rd except for a few countries that still require them. According to NCL website under Travel Requirements by Country, the Bahamas currently says you must be vaccinated but for sailings September 3rd and beyond for the Bahamas that the unvaccinated can provide a test 72 hrs before the cruise or a certificate of recovery  and Honduras says the same thing. But RCCL is only allowing unvaccinated from certain home ports that don't go to the Bahamas and other Eastern Caribbean Islands. Their website says they are working with Eastern Caribbean Islands on requirements and will have updates in a few days. So does NCL know something we don't know? Or if the unvaccinated book an itinerary with a stop in the Bahamas after September 3rd will they be able to board not be able to get off the ship? Or will thr Bahamas be changing their requirements? We have some unvaccinated in our group and would hate to book something and they would be denied or unable to get off in the Bahamas.

6 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

There are no percentage allowances anymore on celebrity, RCL, or NCL. Ships are 100% open to all unvaccinated.

The rcl/celebrity announcement last week about percentages  is no longer relevant. Covid policies remain extremely fluid and chance rapidly. 

I’d go ahead and book your trip for April of 2023 without worry. 

I think a lot of the confidence behind companies dismantling their Covid safety scaffolding is because we no longer care whether other people are vaccinated or not.  We understand the risk, that we can carry the virus even though we may not get sick.  But everyone I know is vaccinated.  And the vaccinated don’t die from it.   

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bella30 said:

So NCL will lift vaccine requirements on September 3rd except for a few countries that still require them. According to NCL website under Travel Requirements by Country, the Bahamas currently says you must be vaccinated but for sailings September 3rd and beyond for the Bahamas that the unvaccinated can provide a test 72 hrs before the cruise or a certificate of recovery  and Honduras says the same thing. But RCCL is only allowing unvaccinated from certain home ports that don't go to the Bahamas and other Eastern Caribbean Islands. Their website says they are working with Eastern Caribbean Islands on requirements and will have updates in a few days. So does NCL know something we don't know? Or if the unvaccinated book an itinerary with a stop in the Bahamas after September 3rd will they be able to board not be able to get off the ship? Or will thr Bahamas be changing their requirements? We have some unvaccinated in our group and would hate to book something and they would be denied or unable to get off in the Bahamas.

I suspect the Bahamas will change their requirements. Covid policies remain extremely fluid and the one thing we've learned is that they are in a continuous state of change.

CCL initially said Bahamas wouldn't allow unvaccinated and then backtracked a few days later (looking rather foolish). Did I mention that covid policies are still fluid? lol

RCL also said they will have more announcements on unvaccinated released on 8/14. That may help clear up some of the confusion. 

If I were you, I'd wait a few weeks to book. Lots of this uncertainty with particular ports will shake out. If the trip you are planning is far into the future, I'd just book (w/refundable deposit). The odds of any covid protocols remaining into 2023 seem very low to me.