Dress code for Alaska

LB_NJ

I really don't want to start a dress code war.  If I sail out of NYC I am happy to pack a tux for formal nights and a jacket for other nights. I don't mind using a little extra room in my car (we can drive to the port) for a suit bag and actually enjoy dressing up for dinner on occasion.

However, I have booked a 10-day Alaska cruise next year out of Vancouver on QE and really don't want to use valuable luggage space for jackets or a tux.  Nice slacks, collared shirts and tie are not a significant problem.  Am I going to be in trouble on formal nights in the MDR (we really don't like the buffet for dinner)? Do I have any options?

I took a Cunard cruise to Alaska 'when Cunard re- introduced cruises to Alaska' ( 2018/2019 ? )  The evening  'suggested dress code' was no different to any other cruise/voyage I've taken with Cunard.

There are still the occasional Gala Evenings on an Alaska cruise  .

Keep the Standards up ....Cunard is not HAL,  who have the monopoly of sailing in Alaskan waters  😉

@Bell Boy I live 5 minutes from the pier and hear the ships every day. I think they have 2 ships out of Seattle, but almost all the other ships are much larger. I think there are 19 - 21 boats per week. I hear that Princess owns Alaska cruising. I have found Alaska dress to be less formal. You Must take a good warm coat and rain gear. I always need a blanket on the verandah for sea days and while in the bays with glaciers.

Our first Alaska cruise [we've managed a few] was thirty years ago and I remember The Times described our actual cruise  as 'The Parka and Pearls cruise'.

That was an August trip and yes, it was quite cool at times and a light jacket [ parka] was recommended whilst everyone scrubbed up for dinner.

So saying, we've had a July cruise when it was really hot so weather is luck of the draw. Definitely take layers, and a light rain jacket is a must.

I agree with others; a dark suit and tie is needed for Gala nights in the restaurant.

6 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

I really don't want to start a dress code war.  If I sail out of NYC I am happy to pack a tux for formal nights and a jacket for other nights. I don't mind using a little extra room in my car (we can drive to the port) for a suit bag and actually enjoy dressing up for dinner on occasion.

However, I have booked a 10-day Alaska cruise next year out of Vancouver on QE and really don't want to use valuable luggage space for jackets or a tux.  Nice slacks, collared shirts and tie are not a significant problem.  Am I going to be in trouble on formal nights in the MDR (we really don't like the buffet for dinner)? Do I have any options?

Yes you will be in trouble The location of the ship does not change the stated dress code. However, an easy solution is to wear the dark suit on the plane. That way you will have it for the formal evenings and can avoid the dreaded Buffet.

There are only two gala nights on the QE 10-day Alaska cruises. I have done two of them: 2019, the first year the QE did these and again this year.  (Our first QE cruise was  7-nights Southampton-Norway in 2013. There were three formal nights.)

We were in Britannia for the earlier Alaska cruise and in PG for this year's cruise. There was no difference in the gala night attire. The other nights were somewhat different. The current smart attire nights no longer require a  jacket unlike in 2019. But a significant minority of us wore a jacket and many even a tie. That is my personal standard for Cunard.

On the "smart" nights a lot of women made an effort. Two women at a nearby table wore a different classy dress every night. Their male companions, however - oh, never mind.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Yes you will be in trouble The location of the ship does not change the stated dress code. However, an easy solution is to wear the dark suit on the plane. That way you will have it for the formal evenings and can avoid the dreaded Buffet.

Thankyou.  I like the suggestion of the suit on the plane, at least wearing the jacket which is the bulkiest part to pack.   Nice creative solution.

I have done the land portion in Alaska so I have an idea what to take for the land portion.

On 8/8/2022 at 1:03 PM, LB_NJ said:

My husband was going to bring his kilt, then at the last minute changed his mind (after I made sure everything was clean and ready to go, of course) and brought his nice tailored suit instead, and he felt underdressed on our Alaskan cruise in 2019. We were Britannia class. We did go out and buy a tux for our next cruise and they sold us this great carryon to pack it and his shoes in, but Ahem that cruise didn't exactly happen. Neither have replacements 1 and 2, but that's another story. We loved the cruise and the main dining room.

• Like 1