What to do if..

mfs2k

Why would you risk thousands of dollars and not get travel insurance?  

If you feel ill in any way, but tested negative, you go to the port and notify them via the appropriate health screening form.  They'll take you aside for further evaluation, at which point they may deny you boarding, or may do a PCR test before you're allowed to board.

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

Well, I just learned that my Chase Sapphire card will give me some protection, so there's that. 

I do not already know the answer. 

Why so snarky? 

You don't know the answer?  Do you want to be sick and go on a cruise with lots of other people?   The only question seems to be, do you have Covid or do you have something else?  It seems the only advice people can give you is to stay home.  Maybe you can get a refund as another poster suggested.

Just prepare for the different scenarios, hoping that everything works out just fine!  Insurance is totally your call.  I fly overseas in October for a b2b/TA, so I am preparing for several scenarios with comprehensive insurance.  No one knows what can happen, but you can prepare.

Edited by Lastdance

9 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You don't know the answer?  Do you want to be sick and go on a cruise with lots of other people?   The only question seems to be, do you have Covid or do you have something else?  It seems the only advice people can give you is to stay home.  Maybe you can get a refund as another poster suggested.

Actually, if you read above, some people have said they'd go on their cruise if they had a cold and tested negative. It's not so cut and dry. 

1 minute ago, mfs2k said:

Actually, if you read above, some people have said they'd go on their cruise if they had a cold and tested negative. It's not so cut and dry. 

This is why someone said you already know the answer.  Ok so you maybe won’t go if you have Covid but you will go if you have a cold or some unknown illness.  You’ve already decided what to do and you’re just asking people to make you feel better. 

OK, I lied….I looked up various websites to find out how many get some level of insurance reimbursal: Including health, vacation cancelations; flight delay cost; lost luggage/items; etc.

One site listed 28% and another 30%. A quote: 

One of my hesitations with buying travel insurance is the belief that "everything will work out fine," and I'll never use it. I was surprised when Gainullin shared, "In relation to filing a claim, it’s roughly 30%," meaning that 30% of people who buy travel insurance file some sort of claim or use the policy they bought.

Is the reimbursement higher than the cost? No idea. But I get it.

Den 

Just now, Denny01 said:

OK, I lied….I looked up various websites to find out how many get some level of insurance reimbursal: Including health, vacation cancelations; flight delay cost; lost luggage/items; etc.

One site listed 28% and another 30%. A quote: 

One of my hesitations with buying travel insurance is the belief that "everything will work out fine," and I'll never use it. I was surprised when Gainullin shared, "In relation to filing a claim, it’s roughly 30%," meaning that 30% of people who buy travel insurance file some sort of claim or use the policy they bought.

Is the reimbursement higher than the cost? No idea. But I get it.

Den 

This is the reason I never buy car insurance.  I never cause accidents so why would I need it.  /s

🙄

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

This is the reason I never buy car insurance.  I never cause accidents so why would I need it.  /s

🙄

Please let me know the next time you plan to drive to the Fla Panhandle and when you are driving through Shalimar.

I better check if I have coverage for being hit by non-insured drivers….but since you dont cause accidents, I wont worry about you.

den

Edited by Denny01

8 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Please let me know the next time you plan to drive to the Fla Panhandle and when you are driving through Shalimar.

I better check if I have coverage for being hit by non-insured drivers….but since you dont cause accidents, I wont worry about you.

den

Since most people don't cause accidents there is no need for insurance.  Why stop there?  You're probably only sick a few times in your life so why do you need medical insurance?  Just pay as you go, right? 

😁 <== for people who need it.

• Haha 1

The original poster is worried about a cruise in October yet we are still in August!    If you do get COVID omicron in the next few weeks I would get a laboratory PCR test.   After that you can get a Certificate of Recovery and won’t have to worry about COVID testing for travel for 90 days.   Hubby and I had a scratchy throat last Thursday, bingo COVID.   Double vaxed and boosted but didn’t matter to the virus.   Certainly hope we are clear by 9/4 , but will have the PCR and COR in case.

21 hours ago, mfs2k said:

99%+ of people on a particular cruise don't use their travel insurance. 

Of course, in this group, many of you will tell stories of how you needed your travel insurance on one of your many many trips. But that's not statistically relevant.  Just because you've been to the site of a disaster doesn't mean you were at the site at the time of the disaster. 

If I bought travel insurance for every cruise I've taken, I probably would have spent over $10,000.  

If my cruise fare wasn't refunded if I was denied boarding due to Covid, or if I were flying to the ship, I'd buy travel insurance.  

The risks are far more than you have listed.

You have ignored being taken ill on the ship and requiring medical attention or heaven forbid being medivaced off - this happened to passengers on 3  Silhouette cruises in May/June alone.

The cost of being flown home would be huge.

Also the strain on whichever one of you wasn't affected but would have to deal with the issue would be immense.

I know our insurance in the UK is different as we have one policy for cancellation, medical and baggage. In our case we have Annual cover that covers unlimited trips of up to 30 days ( similar products are available in the US.)

Your 1% figure is also misleading as it's the cost per claim which is more important.

We have had annual cover since 2006 at a cost of 💲5600.

Upto 2013 no claims 

2013 both of us hospitalised in LA, plus costs of new flights, claim💲20,000

2016 during a trip to Dallas eife had throat infection claim 💲1000

2018 March again in Dallas I had bronchitis claim 💲2300

2018 September forced to cancel trip 1day before flight. Trip also included an Alaska Cruise and train claim 💲4600.

Would we travel without insurance - absolutely not.