How can Suites make non-CC MDR reservations?

5:00_Somewhere

We just booked a cruise with friends. We are in a suite and, therefore, have Club Class dining available. Our friends do not have Club Class. None of us cares about CC (yes, we know our friends can't join us there, and are not asking for that), and plan to simply dine together in the regular MDR most nights.

However, when I go into Dine My Way on the Medallion App there is a banner announcing I have Club Class dining but no option to book any other dinner reservations in the MDR at all. There is simply nothing but Club Class in the Estrella Dining Room, and the specialty restaurants.  I also can't find any way to make MDR reservations on the Princess website.

For those who have actual experience with this, does anyone know if/how we can make dinner reservations in the regular MDR on the Medallion App (linking with our friends)?  Seems odd that this would not even be an option, but I suppose it shouldn't surprise me, as so little about the Medallion App makes any sense (mini-rant).

I will also call my Princess CVP once she's out of the craziness of this week, but thought there might be folks here on Cruise Critic how had some actual experience with this.

TIA for any info.

10 minutes ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

We just booked a cruise with friends. We are in a suite and, therefore, have Club Class dining available. Our friends do not have Club Class. None of us cares about CC (yes, we know our friends can't join us there, and are not asking for that), and plan to simply dine together in the regular MDR most nights.

However, when I go into Dine My Way on the Medallion App there is a banner announcing I have Club Class dining but no option to book any other dinner reservations in the MDR at all. There is simply nothing but Club Class in the Estrella Dining Room, and the specialty restaurants.  I also can't find any way to make MDR reservations on the Princess website.

For those who have actual experience with this, does anyone know if/how we can make dinner reservations in the regular MDR on the Medallion App (linking with our friends)?  Seems odd that this would not even be an option, but I suppose it shouldn't surprise me, as so little about the Medallion App makes any sense (mini-rant).

I will also call my Princess CVP once she's out of the craziness of this week, but thought there might be folks here on Cruise Critic how had some actual experience with this.

TIA for any info.

I haven’t tried this, but have your friends tried on their end to link your booking with theirs for DMW reservations? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I haven’t tried this, but have your friends tried on their end to link your booking with theirs for DMW reservations? 

Good thought. I know that I was able to link our friends to our reservations and we all shared a table each night. Your friends could try doing this. They would need your booking number.

It "may" be that, if you linked them using their booking number you might become able to make the reservations yourself.

Edited by Thrak
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

57 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Good thought. I know that I was able to link our friends to our reservations and we all shared a table each night. Your friends could try doing this. They would need your booking number.

It "may" be that, if you linked them using their booking number you might become able to make the reservations yourself.

Thank you both. That actually occurred to me, as well, after I posted. Only hiccup is that we're Elite and can, therefore, book reservations upon booking (which we did yesterday), but they are not, so we'd likely have to wait until they make final payment. But, I will give it a try. I'll report back once we've given it a shot. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

TIA for any info.

Each of you add the other as Travel Companions in MC App.

Your friends setup a Dining Party by adding you.  THEY make the MDR booking for the party of 4 in DMW.  (If I were you I would also let the HW for CC section know you won't ever be there as dining with friends). 

ETA:  I see now your friends cannot do early booking.  (Perhaps they will make an earlier FP???).

• Thanks 1

Interesting topic.  The Medallion App strikes again.  I guess there are not many that would do as you request.  

If you are unable to do anything, I would approach your Assistant Manager in the Club Class dining room at lunch on embarkation day and ask him to please set it up for your and your friends in the same dining room that CC is in (just makes it easier for the Assistant Manager).  Usually Deck 6.

• Like 2

We were in CC traveling with friends who weren't in CC earlier this year.  We did end up add them as part of our traveling party and they made reservations.  We did eat breakfast in CC and the Restaurant Manager asked us the first morning why he didn't see us at dinner on embarkation night.  We told him we were traveling with friends and he told us to just come with our friends when we wished to the CC hostess desk and that we would be seated in an area adjacent to CC.  We also did the latter pre-app / Covid.  If your friends aren't able to get acceptable times when they are able to make reservations, it's worth a try to ask the CC Restaurant Manager if he can help you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

Thank you both. That actually occurred to me, as well, after I posted. Only hiccup is that we're Elite and can, therefore, book reservations upon booking (which we did yesterday), but they are not, so we'd likely have to wait until they make final payment. But, I will give it a try. I'll report back once we've given it a shot. 👍

You booked reservations yesterday?

I was in a suite -elite, as well, & app would not let me book reservations. Note was to go anytime to CC.

Pacginow & Thrak offer suggestions.

4 minutes ago, dog said:

You booked reservations yesterday?

I was in a suite -elite, as well, & app would not let me book reservations. Note was to go anytime to CC.

Pacginow & Thrak offer suggestions.

He meant he just booked the cruise yesterday.

• Like 1

Thank you all VERY MUCH for your very helpful suggestions. I'm basically going to try them all, including asking our friends if they might consider making FP early. Once again, the Cruise Critic "hive mind" to the rescue. I'm glad I came to you with my question. 

13 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Interesting topic.  The Medallion App strikes again.  I guess there are not many that would do as you request.  

Yeah, part of me wants to blame the Medallion App (which irks me no end in general), but I do suspect there are few people who would make this request, so perhaps not all that unreasonable that it wouldn't be a pre-programmed option. 

And, there are plenty of other elements of the App to complain about. 😝

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EDDY0827 said:

You didn't mention which ship you are booked on but if you can't resolve you dining dilemma, try booking your reservations through your suite concierge once on board.

Thank you, that's on my list, as well, if we have to wait until we board. 👍 We don't usually dine until 8:00ish, so hoping things won't be all booked up, but know it gets more and more difficult to scheduled your desired time the closer you get to sailing date. We'll be on the Sky.