Keeping in touch with friends

Diver1957

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I do the old fashioned thing with the highlighter and plan out my sea days.  I might have notes in the margins, so that old paper schedule is so helpful.  All the info in one place instead of several places on the phone and scrolling.  

If that is what works for you I would go for it.  It sure won't bother me.  I just didn't understand the "idiot" reference from the other poster.   

13 hours ago, ldubs said:

"waste time scrolling around like an idiot."

Just a little over the top I'd say.  

While I don't share the concern, I can see not wanting to carry the phone around.  As far as reading the daily happenings, I don't see how reading from a phone makes one an idiot compared to reading from a paper.  

This is exactly the problem.  I use my phone a couple of times a month when I'm away from the office/home.  I answer or make a call, I read and send texts.  I can use WAZE for navigation, sort of.  Those of you who use a phone constantly are totally comfortable with its operation.  I don't think you realize that the rest of us have to struggle to get the phone to do what we want.  Seems like there are always 3 ways to accomplish a goal.  While I am completely confident using a computer, sometimes I can't even answer my Android phone.  By the time I'm done putting on my reading glasses so I can swipe and tap, the call has ended.  And the thought of reading a daily ship's schedule on a tiny little screen is absurd to many of us.  That's why there's so much resentment towards being forced to use the phone; plus the uncertainty of knowing if we'll be able to function efficiently during our cruise.  The postings I've read about Princess' Medallion for instance, do not fill me with confidence that the system will be usable at all.  So, yes, we are constantly bombarded with scorn and we do feel like idiots trying to get our phones to cooperate. 

18 hours ago, jsn55 said:

The idea of having to carry your phone everywhere on a ship is ridiculous.  Sure, there are some who think of the thing as an extension of their fingers.  I feel sorry for them.  The cruise lines would save a lot of money by not distributing the 'daily news' every evening, but I'll certainly not sail on a ship that requires me to carry my phone and waste time scrolling around like an idiot.  I frankly look forward to that ship's communique in the evening after dinner, it's exciting to plan the next day's fun and games. 

Doesn’t surprise me that these are your feelings. That people who use technology are idiots.

on another thread, you have indicated that you are fine catching a highly communicable disease and would rather spread it to other people  on a cruise and an international flight than voluntarily isolate yourself.

53 minutes ago, wcook said:

Question to those who don’t have a phone surgically attached: Do you carry around a camera? Or do you not take a zillion pictures per cruise. Genuinely curious, not trying to be argumentative. 

Photography has been a hobby of mine since before smart phones were even a glimmer in somebody's dream, so I do carry a camera in my bag when on vacation. It is not surgically attached. No, I do not take a zillion pictures per cruise. I hope I'm more discriminating than that. I don't spend the majority of my time glued to the viewfinder, or walk around day and night with it hanging around my wrist.

My camera is a tool used solely for pleasure, just like a hobby painter's paintbrush. Unlike my smart phone, which I only got under protest, and am compelled to use in today's world, but all else being equal would prefer not to.

Edited by mom says

4 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Doesn’t surprise me that these are your feelings. That people who use technology are idiots.

on another thread, you have indicated that you are fine catching a highly communicable disease and would rather spread it to other people  on a cruise and an international flight than voluntarily isolate yourself.

You might want to read posts on these boards more carefully.  Nobody thinks that people who use technology are idiots.  I have no idea what you mean with the accusations about the virus; I think you have me mixed up with someone else.  Have a nice day.

Edited by jsn55
clarity

29 minutes ago, mom says said:

Photography has been a hobby of mine since before smart phones were even a glimmer in somebody's dream, so I do carry a camera in my bag when on vacation. It is not surgically attached. No, I do not take a zillion pictures per cruise. I hope I'm more discriminating than that. I don't spend the majority of my time glued to the viewfinder, or walk around day and night with it hanging around my wrist.

My camera is a tool used solely for pleasure, just like a hobby painter's paintbrush. Unlike my smart phone, which I only got under protest, and am compelled to use in today's world, but all else being equal would prefer not to.

I love photography as well and travelled everywhere with a little Diamage that fit in a shirt pocket.  Once it died (OK, I killed it being stupid), I couldn't find anything to replace it.  One day I discovered that I could take a photo with my phone and the quality was really good.  Haven't had any prints made, tho, I'm going to experiment on our Quebec to Boston cruise next month. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

I love photography as well and travelled everywhere with a little Diamage that fit in a shirt pocket.  Once it died (OK, I killed it being stupid), I couldn't find anything to replace it.  One day I discovered that I could take a photo with my phone and the quality was really good.  Haven't had any prints made, tho, I'm going to experiment on our Quebec to Boston cruise next month. 

So you DO see a use for that phone?  😁

Like it or not, they are going to become more and more ubiquitous ... and more and more useful. My son is part of the generation for whom they are like an extra limb, not me. I don't find them intuitive -- but I do find them more and more useful when traveling.  I think a lot of the animosity expressed here (and it is expressed here) has to do with the fear of not being able to adapt and learn the new technology.

My airline app lets me check in for my flight and gives me an electronic boarding pass (handy when traveling and no access to a printer). It advises me of boarding delays, gate changes, and tells me when my luggage is loaded on the plane. If my flight is canceled it gives me info to make booking the next flight simpler and faster.

Just recently in Germany I did a bit of travel by trains and I could use their official train line app to check timings and schedules, buy tickets (and no need to print anything).

I can download maps to help me DIY in ports without getting lost.

I can communicate with tour guides via WhatsApp with no charges for messaging.

I can take great pics and video.

I can use a translator app to be able to communicate with others when they don't speak English.

I can check out anything from reviews for a certain wine on the wine list to finding the location of the nearest artisanal gelateria.

I can get texts from my bank or credit card company if there are any suspicious charges (or I can have them notify me of ANY charges outside the US and I can know immediately if any of my cards are compromised.

Nope, I can't say that I'm connected to it 24/7 .... but I wouldn't be without it when traveling.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

So you DO see a use for that phone?  😁

Like it or not, they are going to become more and more ubiquitous ... and more and more useful. My son is part of the generation for whom they are like an extra limb, not me. I don't find them intuitive -- but I do find them more and more useful when traveling.  I think a lot of the animosity expressed here (and it is expressed here) has to do with the fear of not being able to adapt and learn the new technology.

My airline app lets me check in for my flight and gives me an electronic boarding pass (handy when traveling and no access to a printer). It advises me of boarding delays, gate changes, and tells me when my luggage is loaded on the plane. If my flight is canceled it gives me info to make booking the next flight simpler and faster.

Just recently in Germany I did a bit of travel by trains and I could use their official train line app to check timings and schedules, buy tickets (and no need to print anything).

I can download maps to help me DIY in ports without getting lost.

I can communicate with tour guides via WhatsApp with no charges for messaging.

I can take great pics and video.

I can use a translator app to be able to communicate with others when they don't speak English.

I can check out anything from reviews for a certain wine on the wine list to finding the location of the nearest artisanal gelateria.

I can get texts from my bank or credit card company if there are any suspicious charges (or I can have them notify me of ANY charges outside the US and I can know immediately if any of my cards are compromised.

Nope, I can't say that I'm connected to it 24/7 .... but I wouldn't be without it when traveling.

All valid, and all things that I'm going to eventually learn to do ... if I want to.  My problem is being forced to use my phone for something that is better experienced 'live' without the phone.  Like the ship's newsletter every evening.  I don't want to be jerked around by people telling me what to do.  I don't want to carry my phone around a ship so I can unlock my cabin door.    I don't like seeing bewildered folks who are apprehensive about travelling without using a phone, they're all worried that their trip will be ruined because they don't know about their phone ... that's just bullying.  I'm rolling along with the phone, I got a book on how to use it, I'll use it if I want to.  I also don't want to spend more than $125 a year for my Tracfone.  I have far better things to do with my money.  Appreciate the list ... it will push me into finding out how to do all that stuff ... some day.

Edited by jsn55

On 8/13/2022 at 12:34 AM, mom says said:

So then tell us how you locate your friends.

Same ways we did before phones were ubiquitous: 

- We'd make plans ahead of time.  Maybe we'd say, "How about we meet for dinner -- do you feel like the MDR or the Windjammer? And then we'll go to the Comedy Club together."  And the friends would say, "That's great -- how about 6:30 outside the Windjammer?"  And we'd all show up on time. 

- When the kids were teens/tweens -- old enough to have some freedom, but still needing some accountability -- I'd tell them, "I'm thinking I'll be at the adult pool.  You check in with me every two hours."  

- We'd all leave notes inside the cabin:  "___ & ___ are ice skating.  Will find you after."

Really, it wasn't hard.  People did pay a little more attention /planned ahead more because we didn't have an instant way to check up on everyone else, and I'm not sure that was a negative.  

• Like 3

On 8/15/2022 at 11:07 PM, ldubs said:

While I don't share the concern, I can see not wanting to carry the phone around.  As far as reading the daily happenings, I don't see how reading from a phone makes one an idiot compared to reading from a paper.  

I'm thinking of my high school students, but many adults are the same: 

They don't just carry the phone around to use now and then -- they keep their phones "out" all day long.  They carry them in their hands between classes, they hide them under papers on their desk or under their leg because being unaware of a text, even for a short time, is not acceptable.  No one reads a paper 8-10 hours a day, but well over half of my high school students would happily waste their entire day texting and playing games on their phones -- if I didn't get in the way with my pesky idea of learning.  Whereas in the past kids sat around the lunch table talking with friends, today we see groups of kids who sit down with their phones and don't talk to the people next to them.  When I was a new teacher, the halls were LOUD at the end of the day as students piled out into the halls and called out to friends as they left the building -- the end of the school day was energetic and joyful; today it's almost silent as kids catch up on what's gone on in cyber-space during their last class, and all the kids walk out with their heads bowed over their phones.  It's weird to chaperone a school dance now; at any given time, a third of the students are sitting at tables on their phones -- and this is at an event they'd anticipated, bought special clothes for.  Kids who finish their first assignments early are fussy if they're not allowed to play on their phones -- they even say things like, "What do you expect me to do without my phone?"  They don't think about starting the next assignment or just talking to someone.  And we can't forget cyber-bullying; kids can bully one another 24/7 now -- this is a frequent issue at school.  Parents, this is all scary.  

At the same time, more and more students say they have no friends -- screen time is stealing away our teens' social skills.  More and more kids say they're anxious or depressed; fewer say they feel connected to their school or classmates.   

It's not that the phones themselves are a problem -- it's that the kids' lack of balance between phones and real life is a problem.  In my three decades of teaching I've always known kids who were obsessed over sports, their boyfriends, whatever -- but today a majority of our kids are obsessed with their phones.  It's the obsession, not the phones, that is the problem.  

Okay, that didn't have much to do with cruising, but I am genuinely concerned about the over-use of phones today.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

They don't just carry the phone around to use now and then -- they keep their phones "out" all day long.  They carry them in their hands between classes, they hide them under papers on their desk or under their leg because being unaware of a text, even for a short time, is not acceptable.  No one reads a paper 8-10 hours a day, but well over half of my high school students would happily waste their entire day texting and playing games on their phones -- if I didn't get in the way with my pesky idea of learning.  Whereas in the past kids sat around the lunch table talking with friends, today we see groups of kids who sit down with their phones and don't talk to the people next to them.  When I was a new teacher, the halls were LOUD at the end of the day as students piled out into the halls and called out to friends as they left the building -- the end of the school day was energetic and joyful; today it's almost silent as kids catch up on what's gone on in cyber-space during their last class, and all the kids walk out with their heads bowed over their phones.  It's weird to chaperone a school dance now; at any given time, a third of the students are sitting at tables on their phones -- and this is at an event they'd anticipated, bought special clothes for.  Kids who finish their first assignments early are fussy if they're not allowed to play on their phones -- they even say things like, "What do you expect me to do without my phone?"  They don't think about starting the next assignment or just talking to someone.  And we can't forget cyber-bullying; kids can bully one another 24/7 now -- this is a frequent issue at school.  Parents, this is all scary.  

At the same time, more and more students say they have no friends -- screen time is stealing away our teens' social skills.  More and more kids say they're anxious or depressed; fewer say they feel connected to their school or classmates.   

It's not that the phones themselves are a problem -- it's that the kids' lack of balance between phones and real life is a problem.  In my three decades of teaching I've always known kids who were obsessed over sports, their boyfriends, whatever -- but today a majority of our kids are obsessed with their phones.  It's the obsession, not the phones, that is the problem.  

Okay, that didn't have much to do with cruising, but I am genuinely concerned about the over-use of phones today.  

EXTREMELY well said ... you are explaining what I was unable to articulate.  People of all ages are turning into walking zombies.  Watching a mother and 10-year-old at dinner ... they don't share a single sentence, they're both playing with their phones.  Can't the adults at least SEE THIS?  I think it's very sad. 

On 8/16/2022 at 9:32 AM, jsn55 said:

This is exactly the problem.  I use my phone a couple of times a month when I'm away from the office/home.  I answer or make a call, I read and send texts.  I can use WAZE for navigation, sort of.  Those of you who use a phone constantly are totally comfortable with its operation.  I don't think you realize that the rest of us have to struggle to get the phone to do what we want.  Seems like there are always 3 ways to accomplish a goal.  While I am completely confident using a computer, sometimes I can't even answer my Android phone.  By the time I'm done putting on my reading glasses so I can swipe and tap, the call has ended.  And the thought of reading a daily ship's schedule on a tiny little screen is absurd to many of us.  That's why there's so much resentment towards being forced to use the phone; plus the uncertainty of knowing if we'll be able to function efficiently during our cruise.  The postings I've read about Princess' Medallion for instance, do not fill me with confidence that the system will be usable at all.  So, yes, we are constantly bombarded with scorn and we do feel like idiots trying to get our phones to cooperate. 

Oh boy.  I completely misunderstood your original comment about this.  

14 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm just saying the apps that include free texting are an efficient tool.  But I'll try to feel a little guilty when I use the cruise ship app on my phone.   

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I'm just saying the apps that include free texting are an efficient tool.  But I'll try to feel a little guilty when I use the cruise ship app on my phone.   

Nah, it's important to use your phone without guilt ... when I need to know something, there has to be a nice group of people to look it up for me.  And they're always happy to do so!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Thank you.   

14 hours ago, jsn55 said:

EXTREMELY well said ... you are explaining what I was unable to articulate.  People of all ages are turning into walking zombies.  Watching a mother and 10-year-old at dinner ... they don't share a single sentence, they're both playing with their phones.  Can't the adults at least SEE THIS?  I think it's very sad. 

Agree. Then again back in the "good ole days" the adults would be reading or talking to each other or drinking their beverages, while the kids would be coloring or doing puzzles provided by the restaurant because children were meant to be see not heard.

As I remember it, the "good ole days" were not really THAT good. Just different and how some are accustomed

• Like 4

I've read other threads from folks who shared how upsetting is was to see a fellow passenger looking at their smart phone or pad in a public area.   In one case, the person was saying a person looking at an electronic device should not be taking up space in a public area.    Pretty strange thinking, IMO.   

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

I've read other threads from folks who shared how upsetting is was to see a fellow passenger looking at their smart phone or pad in a public area.   In one case, the person was saying a person looking at an electronic device should not be taking up space in a public area.    Pretty strange thinking, IMO.   

I wonder if that person would have been just as upset seeing someone reading a book in public. 

5 minutes ago, mom says said:

I wonder if that person would have been just as upset seeing someone reading a book in public. 

Adding to your question - would the person w the electronic device problem have a problem if I read my book on my Kindle instead of from an actual book?  LOL!!

DON

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, mom says said:

As I recall the "problem" was that the person using the electronic device wasn't socializing.  

8 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Adding to your question - would the person w the electronic device problem have a problem if I read my book on my Kindle instead of from an actual book?  LOL!!

DON

Other than the paper ones being useful for saving chairs, I don't see a difference between a printed vs an electronic book.  

But, I am drawing this thread way off track -- My apologies and I'll try to get back on course.     

I plan on downloading the app on both, my Mom’s phone and iPad. She is of a certain age, so we think that having the app on her iPad will allow her to look at the daily schedule type features easier. We will use the app on our phones for texting and such. Just something to consider, if you fear the loss of the daily communication. 

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

As I recall the "problem" was that the person using the electronic device wasn't socializing.  

Yes, but weirdly it seems to be perfectly acceptable to sit on a lounger facing the sea while reading a book, while it is totally unacceptable to sit on a lounger facing the sea while using one's phone.

image.jpeg.eb285dea2ae8e92d407db29b969e08fb.jpeg

• Like 3