Odyssey of the seas - extra costs

Hi

just trying to work out the cost of some extras onboard 

- we are hoping to use the nursery quite a bit for our twins over the 9 nights, how many hours do you think they will allow you to have, also how does tipping work in the nursery do they just add 18% to the bill?

Any idea how much the virtual reality experience is and the North Star?

we have the all inclusive drinks package and a dinning plan book, excursions booked to and all paid 

is there any other extras I could end up having  🤷‍♂️

Edited by Garyjames220

North Star is free when in port. We did it in Naples for views of Vesuvius; we wanted to do it in Santorini but they said they were closed that day for maintainance ( turned out they weren’t but we had missed the slots by then!) 

The VR is free too I think, didn’t do it and never seemed to be anyone there. 

Make sure you use the Mexican by the pool for lunch/snacks etc. 😋 and free. 

2 minutes ago, little britain said:

North Star is free when in port. We did it in Naples for views of Vesuvius; we wanted to do it in Santorini but they said they were closed that day for maintainance ( turned out they weren’t but we had missed the slots by then!) 

The VR is free too I think, didn’t do it and never seemed to be anyone there. 

Make sure you use the Mexican by the pool for lunch/snacks etc. 😋 and free. 

thanks for the advice🙂

anyone know the answer to the nursery question 

We did North Star in Coco Cay and it was a great way to see the island. I think we probably were on for 10 minutes or so and it was enough for us. I wouldn't pay to do it.

Adventure Ocean is free, but there might be a charge for babies or those under a certain age. Our kids are older so I don't know those details. How old are your kids?

29 minutes ago, Garyjames220 said:

Any idea how much the virtual reality experience is and the North Star?

is there any other extras I could end up having  🤷‍♂️

Zone Zero (virtual reality) was $18 a few months ago, and appointments went fast. Unfortunately I don't recall how much the "extended experience" on the North Star was, but as others have pointed out, there are free appointments available.

With a beverage package and a dining package, you certainly wouldn't need to spend anything else ... spa, maybe? Photos? 

18 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

We did North Star in Coco Cay and it was a great way to see the island. I think we probably were on for 10 minutes or so and it was enough for us. I wouldn't pay to do it.

Adventure Ocean is free, but there might be a charge for babies or those under a certain age. Our kids are older so I don't know those details. How old are your kids?

there one year old twins, so a few hours every 1/2 days would be nice but not sure how many hours they give you. We go end of sept 

I did some digging for you and found this, from the RCCL website Best Cruises for Teens & Kids | Family Cruises | Royal Caribbean Cruises (scroll down some it's on the right hand side of the page):

FOR OUR TINIEST GUESTS&
BABIES & TOTS PROGRAMS

Cruising with your baby was never easier. Our Royal Babies program (ages 6-18 months) offers our tiniest guests and their parents interactive classes filled with enriching activities developed by early childhood experts. Our Royal Tots program (ages 18-36 months) offers 45-minute interactive playground sessions filled with age-appropriate activities and toys. Both programs are hosted by our trained youth staff. A parent or caregiver must accompany child during all activity sessions. (Nursery drop off not available on: Empress, Majesty, Jewel, Adventure, Explorer or Voyager of the Seas.

Also this about babysitting: Does Royal Caribbean offer babysitting onboard the ship?

Q: Does Royal Caribbean offer babysitting onboard the ship?

A: Babysitting services are not offered onboard any of our ships. However, many Royal Caribbean ships feature a nursery where children aged six months to 36 months can be cared for by trained professionals. Please refer to Kids and Teens Activities for further details.

14 minutes ago, Garyjames220 said:

there one year old twins, so a few hours every 1/2 days would be nice but not sure how many hours they give you. We go end of sept 

We have twins also. 😀 It gets "easier" when they are more independent. We felt like we were "in the weeds" all the time when they were babies. After reading the official info from Royal's website, it doesn't look like you are going to get much "alone" time, but I hope it helps. Enjoy your cruise!

4 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

We have twins also. 😀 It gets "easier" when they are more independent. We felt like we were "in the weeds" all the time when they were babies. After reading the official info from Royal's website, it doesn't look like you are going to get much "alone" time, but I hope it helps. Enjoy your cruise!

Well I am confused by that

people have said on here they have used the nursery and dropped there toddlers off for a few hours quite often and then come back for them

Does anyone know if this is not the case 

As said previously Zone Zero was $18. Reservations could be booked in advance the evening of the day they were open. Approximately 6pm was my experience. Reservations sold out each day. It was absolutely worth it $18. 

The extended version of the Northstar was $29 and booked through app as well, although you could book anytime you wanted not just the day before. There were lots of appts for that available. 

Edited by Rusty_lock

11 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

Just seen this

With the Royal Babies and Royal Tots clubs, you can drop off your little ones and leave them in the care of highly-qualified childcare professionals while you go and enjoy yourselves.

The fee for this service is $6 per hour between 9 am and 6 pm and $8 per hour from 6 pm until midnight.

The amount of time you will get in the nursery will depend heavily upon how many hours others might want to book. I think they allow you to book 10 hours to start, after which you would need to check availability. Some have reported that they were able to book all they wanted. 

17 minutes ago, gerif said:

The amount of time you will get in the nursery will depend heavily upon how many hours others might want to book. I think they allow you to book 10 hours to start, after which you would need to check availability. Some have reported that they were able to book all they wanted. 

That’s good, one person on here said it stated u can’t leave them at the nursery and u need to be there but that doesn’t sound right 

Does anyone know how tipping works at the nursery, do they just add 18% to the bill like they do with spa etc 

We were last on Odyssey in March and rules had just changed again for Adventure Ocean/Nursery from a month prior when we went on Symphony. So you may find more up to date info than this. However, my suggestion is once you are onboard, IMMEDIATELY make your way to the nursery to register! They do not take as many small kids as they do in the other groups. Plus, you have 2 kids! Up front I believe they were allowing 10 hours per child for initial bookings (choose your days and times). Other than that, you could stop in and if there was an opening, you could leave your child. I will say, every time we passed by the nursery, there were only a couple kids and it was spring break! They do not charge gratuity to your seapass card. However, at the end of the cruise, we always tipped (cash!) the crew members who took care of our kids. 🙂 Have so much fun!

3 hours ago, Miami Momma said:

We were last on Odyssey in March and rules had just changed again for Adventure Ocean/Nursery from a month prior when we went on Symphony. So you may find more up to date info than this. However, my suggestion is once you are onboard, IMMEDIATELY make your way to the nursery to register! They do not take as many small kids as they do in the other groups. Plus, you have 2 kids! Up front I believe they were allowing 10 hours per child for initial bookings (choose your days and times). Other than that, you could stop in and if there was an opening, you could leave your child. I will say, every time we passed by the nursery, there were only a couple kids and it was spring break! They do not charge gratuity to your seapass card. However, at the end of the cruise, we always tipped (cash!) the crew members who took care of our kids. 🙂 Have so much fun!

thanks, that’s very helpful

when would you suggest going back if you wanted more hours than the first initial lot they give you?

do you remember when it closed, I’m guessing they have cribs if it’s during nap time 

On 8/15/2022 at 9:47 AM, Garyjames220 said:

Well I am confused by that

people have said on here they have used the nursery and dropped there toddlers off for a few hours quite often and then come back for them

Does anyone know if this is not the case 

I am confused too. The info I provided is straight from the RCCL website. Either it hasn't been updated recently, or comments about infant daycare are old/not updated. Either one is possible. Good luck figuring it out!

9 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

I am confused too. The info I provided is straight from the RCCL website. Either it hasn't been updated recently, or comments about infant daycare are old/not updated. Either one is possible. Good luck figuring it out!

That's because they are all different things.

The "babies and tots programs" are like going to "story time" at your library -- it's like a "mommy and me" class or a playdate where the parent stays and participates in the program. 

The "babysitting" refers to IN YOUR STATEROOM childcare -- it used to be a service that was provided in the past.  Two employees from various departments (food service, laundry, whatever) would come to your room and babysit your children in your room while you went out and about in the evening.  I believe they dropped the program due to liability concerns (no cameras in staterooms, but they have them in the nursery).

The "nursery" is a drop-off program for children under 3yo that is on newer ships.  See how it says  -- Nursery drop off not available on: Empress, Majesty, Jewel, Adventure, Explorer or Voyager of the Seas -- that's because those ships didn't have a nursery area built into them.  The nursery accepts kids in diapers, whereas the regular children's program requires kids to be potty-trained.

I hope that clarification helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

That's because they are all different things.

The "babies and tots programs" are like going to "story time" at your library -- it's like a "mommy and me" class or a playdate where the parent stays and participates in the program. 

The "babysitting" refers to IN YOUR STATEROOM childcare -- it used to be a service that was provided in the past.  Two employees from various departments (food service, laundry, whatever) would come to your room and babysit your children in your room while you went out and about in the evening.  I believe they dropped the program due to liability concerns (no cameras in staterooms, but they have them in the nursery).

The "nursery" is a drop-off program for children under 3yo that is on newer ships.  See how it says  -- Nursery drop off not available on: Empress, Majesty, Jewel, Adventure, Explorer or Voyager of the Seas -- that's because those ships didn't have a nursery area built into them.  The nursery accepts kids in diapers, whereas the regular children's program requires kids to be potty-trained.

I hope that clarification helps.

Thanks for confirming, no need to panic after all 😂

defo want some time in the solarium with the wife 🍹  

• Like 1