Live from Riviera

bbtondo

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

bbtondo was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Having a wonderful time on my first Oceania cruise. Have been told there are 1100 guests. Nothing seems crowded. 

Red ginger has the miso sea bass. Not cod. It was yummy.

Jacques was delish and servers were great! 

Fyi Not many masks worn for those wondering.

My cosmos ordered in the specialty dining restaurant were included with the premium drink packing. 

Service has been good. Superior to viking . Passengers very friendly. 

Compared to my viking med cruise last November,  I vote for Oceania again!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, bbtondo said:

Having a wonderful time on my first Oceania cruise. Have been told there are 1100 guests. Nothing seems crowded. 

My cosmos ordered in the specialty dining restaurant were included with the premium drink packing. 

Thank you for the information - great summarization.  I will be onboard soon.  Looking forward to your postings.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bbtondo said:

BBtondo, thanks for your review.  As somone who has done Viking, I am considering Oceania.  What are the reasons you prefer Oceania?  I know that Oceania food is considered much better and that is a draw, definitely.

What other differences do you see?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bbtondo said:

Even though we've been on many ocean cruises, in January we will be 1st time Oceania cruisers, when we board Insignia in January for 48 days, so I'm following along with your postings.  From reading postings on this forum, I can tell that Oceania is well known for their food.  If you have any time either onboard, or after you get home, any info that you can provide on exercise classes available, any special activities, including enrichment or guest lecturers, or quality of Oceania excursions (if you're taking them), would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, meg1021 said:

any special activities, including enrichment or guest lecturers, or quality of Oceania excursions (if you're taking them), would be much appreciated.

enrichment speakers  can be hit or miss

You might have better  since you are on a segment of the RTW cruise

• Like 3

16 hours ago, bbtondo said:

bbtondo - thanks!  Haven't sailed Viking, but we were on our first Oceania (also Riviera) in June and loved it so much!  Don't think we are going to look anywhere else now (except for a HAL cruise this December, but that is with a bunch of friends).  Loved it so much that we booked a cruise on Vista in 2024.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rizello said:
13 hours ago, rizello said:

BBtondo, thanks for your review.  As somone who has done Viking, I am considering Oceania.  What are the reasons you pre

fer Oceania?  I know that Oceania food is considered much better and that is a draw, definitely.

What other differences do you see?

This is just what I have experienced and my opinions. 

passengers and employees are more fun than Oceania. 

Employees on oceania were excellent.    knowledgeable,  professional, fun.  Overall viking employees didn't seem to know what they were doing when I went on the viking sea.

Food on Oceania is superior. 

Viking has more of an educational vibe. I enjoy learning about where I visit,  but I felt it was a bit too much for me. I think viking is more geared to teachers.

On 8/21/2022 at 8:30 PM, meg1021 said:

Even though we've been on many ocean cruises, in January we will be 1st time Oceania cruisers, when we board Insignia in January for 48 days, so I'm following along with your postings.  From reading postings on this forum, I can tell that Oceania is well known for their food.  If you have any time either onboard, or after you get home, any info that you can provide on exercise classes available, any special activities, including enrichment or guest lecturers, or quality of Oceania excursions (if you're taking them), would be much appreciated.

I am not interested in exercising or listening to lectures on vacation. Lol if you like a more academic environment,  take viking ocean. Lots of teachers there. Lol

The nice eze and Monaco excursion was excellent. 

The aix en Provence excursion was just ok. Everyone was not happy with the tour guide.

St tropez today was done on my own with friends.  Walking the shops,  stopping for marina view lunch with prosecco! Oo la la!

Tomorrow is florence on your own with friends.  More shopping, wandering,  lunch. I have been there already and so have my friends. 

Weather has been sunny and 85ish.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 8/21/2022 at 11:43 PM, jackdeb said:

Hi bbtondo thanks for the updates, we will be getting on at Civitavechia on the 28th. Are you staying on until Valleta or Istanbul? Might see you then.

Jack 

I'll be getting off in Rome and staying a few days. Sorry I'll miss you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tea Snob said:

Thank you bbtondo for sharing your experience on the Riviera.  We are also doing the Oceania shore excursion Florence On Our Own.  Where did the bus drop you off and how far a walk to the Ponte Vecchio?  Thank you.

You walk from the bus to Santa croce square.  Then you have the rest of the day on your own. Ponte vecchio 10 minute walk. Very easy. Lots of  other things nearby with 15 minute walk. If you want to visit the museums I highly recommend the Oceania tour.

• Like 1

I will be following here since we just booked our first Oceania cruise on the Riviera (39 days in 2023).
Noticed our deck 7 B4 cabin is over the theater.  Do they have late night shows?  Don't need noise to keep me awake.  Evening shows no problem.  We would likely be in the audience.  

2 hours ago, BklynBorn47 said:

I will be following here since we just booked our first Oceania cruise on the Riviera (39 days in 2023).
Noticed our deck 7 B4 cabin is over the theater.  Do they have late night shows?  Don't need noise to keep me awake.  Evening shows no problem.  We would likely be in the audience.  

Theater  is deck 5   show  is usually 9:30 pm to 10:15 pm

some practicing in the afternoon   but on the O class ships  I do not think you will be bothered

• Like 2

On 8/27/2022 at 3:52 PM, jonthomas said:

How is the food on the ship?

Fabulous! Food was delish, servers excellent.  All the employees were friendly, hard working and efficient. 

The food in all the specialties were so wonderful. 

Stayed in Newark overnight since my flight home was canceled.  Heading out early today.

I had a wonderful time on the cruise. Would book Oceania again.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 8:14 AM, Nol2929 said:

Like many others have said, thank you for the posts/updates!!

You're welcome.  Unfortunately,  lol. I was having such a good time I didn't post as much as I thought.

Heading home today.  I

• Like 2