Update to Vaccination and Testing for some Southampton sailings effective September 6th

Host Hattie

2 hours ago, Sabrina66 said:

In what way has the VACCINATION policy changed?  I see no difference

Despite the Cunard press release stating "The vaccination policy for Cunard guests remains the same", it does appear there is a loosening of the vaccination policy for children 12 through 17 years of age.

The Cunard vaccination policy used to state "all guests aged 12 years and over will need to be fully vaccinated in order to travel with us."

The notification @Host Hattie posted states "Guests 17 years of age and under are not required to be vaccinated."

• Like 1

The plot thickens. Got an email this morning that our BV stateroom on deck 5 is changed despite our no upgrade/change request. Apparently they will be using a block of midships rooms on deck 5 for quarantine.  No ID of our new location.  I can't see them moving quarantine from 5 forward to the center of the ship so this would seem to be an expansion of quarantine space.  We'll see...

1 hour ago, manwithlantern said:

The plot thickens. Got an email this morning that our BV stateroom on deck 5 is changed despite our no upgrade/change request. Apparently they will be using a block of midships rooms on deck 5 for quarantine.  No ID of our new location.  I can't see them moving quarantine from 5 forward to the center of the ship so this would seem to be an expansion of quarantine space.  We'll see...

This might not represent an expansion of the isolation space so much as a decision by Cunard to now start reserving their usual range of cabins for isolation space on your voyage. It was my understanding from some previous posts here that Cunard had been allocating the area on deck 5 between the A and B lifts on QM2 as isolation space on earlier voyages. That would include many of the mid-forward BV staterooms on deck 5. If your BV cabin was forward of the B lifts that would fit.

We had an email today, as well, changing our deck 5 forward stateroom to deck 5 Aft due to that area being used for Covid isolation. Our new stateroom is very close to the laundrette, so we are not happy. Cunard said they hope we will enjoy our complementary upgrade and hope it enhances our holiday! I checked my account and it told me of our new upgraded stateroom. I also had a call from my travel agent about the change. The email also states if you test positive for Covid you can stay in your original stateroom. 

Edited by soulfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, soulfan said:

We had an email today, as well, changing our deck 5 forward stateroom to deck 5 Aft due to that area being used for Covid isolation. Our new stateroom is very close to the laundrette, so we are not happy. Cunard said they hope we will enjoy our complementary upgrade and hope it enhances our holiday! I checked my account and it told me of our new upgraded stateroom. I also had a call from my travel agent about the change. The email also states if you test positive for Covid you can stay in your original stateroom. 

Isn't that contradictory? If you can stay in your stateroom, why do they need isolation cabins??

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Isn't that contradictory? If you can stay in your stateroom, why do they need isolation cabins??

That was my thought too. All I can think of is those in inside cabins might prefer to be moved to designated balcony isolation cabins.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, manwithlantern said:

We have just booked on a QM2 in a BV grade on deck 5.  Which cabin number were you in before being moved? I will not be happy if we are moved after waiting so long 

On 8/24/2022 at 11:42 AM, MJC said:

We got a similar email this morning but it was tailored to our NY departure next month  heading to Canada, which requires a pre-embarkation test. 

Canada does not require a test for arrivals, only departures. I wonder if Cunard is insisting on it anyway for passengers disembarking in Québec.  Obviously those doing a round trip from the UK or the USA to Québec will need it.

The e-mail we received yesterday has a paragraph specific to our embarkation in Québec. It says a rapid antigen test may be taken up to two days before boarding. This is a switch for Cunard who has thus far insisted it be no more than one day before for Canadian embarkation.  The COVID information on the website still says two days for US departures and one day for Canada.

The Canadian government allows two days. We boarded the QE in Vancouver in June and had to take the test one day before. Of all the cruise lines going to Alaska from Vancouver that I checked, Cunard was the only one insisting on the one-day rule.

23 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

Canada does not require a test for arrivals, only departures. I wonder if Cunard is insisting on it anyway for passengers disembarking in Québec.  Obviously those doing a round trip from the UK or the USA to Québec will need it.

How does that work for ports of call? 

55 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

How does that work for ports of call? 

The latest Government of Canada information (updated on 2022--08-18) continues the information that passengers must complete ArriveCan, have proof of vaccination and proof of a negative COVID test which must be taken prior to embarkation if there any Canadian ports of call.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

That's where the requirement is, then. It doesn't matter that Canada doesn't (otherwise) require a test for arrivals, everyone who's going to board a cruise ship in Canada or to board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise has to be tested before embarkation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sandjango said:

Sailing on QM2 to Norway...4th September 2022..M227.....does anyone know if  proof of a negative covid test is required for this voyage....can't make head nor tail of it now …different dates say different things

Have you had an email from Cunard? I would stick to whatever that says.

33 minutes ago, sandjango said:

Sailing on QM2 to Norway...4th September 2022..M227.....does anyone know if  proof of a negative covid test is required for this voyage....can't make head nor tail of it now …different dates say different things

I am on this sailing. I received an email stating no proof of negative test result is required. You are required to take a test within 2 days and confirm a negative result.

Edited by Chart Room Princess

I seem to remember that for those sailings where you are recommended to do a test, but certification is not required, you are asked to 'confirm' you were negative. On the other hand for youngsters in that situation you are required to show 'proof'. Quoting from a Cunard email: rom 6 September 2022, there will be some changes to our vaccination policy, and in addition, self‑testing prior to travel will change from ‘mandatory’ to ‘highly recommended’ for vaccinated guests on the majority of Cunard holidays, including yours. Only guests sailing on longer, or more complex itineraries, will be required to have an observed or in-person lateral flow/antigen test and provide a fit‑to‑travel certificate before departure.

Our new vaccination and testing policy comes into effect from 6 September 2022 onwards.

Vaccination requirements for your voyage.

For your voyage all guests aged 18 years and over need to be fully vaccinated* with an approved Covid‑19 vaccine a minimum of 14 days prior to travel. If more than 270 days (calculated from the last day of the cruise) have passed since the full completion of a vaccination course, a booster vaccine will also be needed and must be administered a minimum of seven days prior to travel.

Guests who have had one booster vaccine, regardless of the date, are considered fully vaccinated. At this time, a second booster vaccination is not required, however, we strongly recommend all guests to have booster vaccinations at the earliest opportunity, should they be available to them, in order to comply with evolving vaccine policies from the countries we visit.

Guests 17 years of age and under
are not required to be vaccinated.

*The definition of ‘fully vaccinated’ is having completed an approved (by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), European Medicines Agency (EMA) or the World Health Organization’s Emergency Use Listing (WHO EUL)) two‑dose Covid‑19 vaccination course, or the approved single‑dose Janssen Covid‑19 vaccine (plus a booster if applicable).

Testing requirements for your voyage.

For your voyage, while testing is no longer mandatory, we highly recommend that all fully vaccinated guests aged five and over, take a Covid‑19 lateral flow/antigen test in the three days before, or on the day of your ship's departure.

Guests aged 5‑17 years who are not fully vaccinated will still need to take a Covid‑19 lateral flow/antigen test in the three days before, or on the day of your ship's departure. You’ll no longer need to provide a test certificate for these guests, but you must be able to provide photo evidence of your negative test if asked. Guests will also be asked to confirm that a test has been taken, with a negative result, as part of the pre‑boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal."

Of course not all voyages will have had the same email sent to passengers.

31 minutes ago, mcloaked said:

On the other hand for youngsters in that situation you are required to show 'proof'.

...if they're not fully vaccinated, per your excerpt. The main difference is that those over 18 must be fully vaccinated, and boosted if at least 270 days from completion of the initial course,

Your voyage starts on the 4th, two days before the larger change in policy I quoted above becomes implemented. However if it was me, I would check by a direct phone call to Cunard agents, that, for that specific voyage, you will only have to confirm you took a test with a negative result, for that departure, as opposed to getting a fit-to-fly cert with a confirmed negative test result, so that you are sure which policy applies to your departure on that date.

Edited by mcloaked
re-word