Traffic Issues for Port Canaveral on August 29

JT1962

Heads up to anyone arriving or leaving on a cruise at Port Canaveral on Monday, August 29. Prepare for likely delays and traffic issues. The Artemis 1 rocket launch will be that morning and they are expecting 100,000 - 200,000 people in the area watching the launch in addition to approximately 36,000 boarding / departing the 5 ships in port that day. 

https://www.wtsp.com/amp/article/tech/science/space/artemis-launch-traffic-plan-map-space-coast/67-b0fc0446-3db6-429c-861c-73c9c0057f39

Hopefully, it will go off at 8:30 as planned.

I recall a past launch that caused huge problems because the passengers on the arriving ship would not get off the ship (a prime viewing spot, for those not familiar) until after the launch.   The launch was  delayed, as is often the case.

I'll watch it from my kitchen window. 

The window opens at 832am and so far the local forecast  calls for our am weather to be a go and not getting our daily  storms into later in the day. The viewers will be getting to the coast  early to get a spot  and should not be a problem 95 to 528 or the beachline 528 East bound after 1000am. After the shot they will be heading away from the coast. Mariners garage is Terminal 5 and only has passengers from returning  Burmuda  so is empty  unlike terminal 1 that has Indy and Harmony   and fills up quickly

We were just departing Harmony in Pt Canaveral on the morning of a launch and Hwy 528/A1A was lined with sheriffs and cop cars with their lights flashing all the way to I 95.  No one was allowed to stop or even slow down even after we got onto I 95.  They keep the port clear.  We did see the launch from our mirror on I 95, which was cool.  We went to Cape Canaveral maybe 10 years ago because a NASA employee gave us a pass so we were 5 miles from the launch pad.  When that rocket blasted off, it's amazing how the ground shakes that far away.  Lifetime memory.

• Thanks 2

Rescheduled again for Saturday afternoon, 2.17pm

Likely have the same, monumental congestion reported on Monday.

OT: Space launches have a wide impact on aviation, too. The usual airline jetway out over the ocean from Hatteras to south Florida is moved way inland, adding time to flights