What do you find hardest about cruising solo?

Hflors

On 6/23/2023 at 11:41 PM, Bender68105 said:

It seems I am not alone when it comes to dining. So now I just go to the buffet and that takes care of that.

Other than that, I really don't mind cruising solo at all being a 51 year old. It does wonders for my depression, and I think it's cheaper than a therapist! LOL. I genuinely like people and really enjoy meeting new people on cruise ships. I find cruisers are much easier to "break the ice" with.

I just got off the Ruby last week on a 10 day Alaska and already looking forward to a 15 day Panama Canal cruise on the Emerald next February.

I cruised Princess solo all through my 40's and 50's. YES!!! LOL!! Much cheaper and a whole lot more fun than a therapist. Been cruising Princess now for well over 20 years best ticket on the "high" sea, no pun intended.  The Emerald I was on this ship in 2007 Inaugural and 4 more times since, the Emerald Princess is nothing but fun.

Adagio the piano bar at the back of the ship across from Sabatini's is one of the best piano bars on land or at sea on the entire planet. Best Crooner's and best Explorers on any Princess ship. 

Actually for evening bar hopping the Emerald Princess is in a class all to itself. 

• Like 1

Most difficult thing for me about cruising solo is packing and not forgetting anything. I know we all have our own checklists but as we've gotten older we have things to pack that we didn't have year's ago. 

If I forget something(meds, a shirt or two, swim shorts socks sunglasses, sunscreen, lip balm etc) or something slipped my mind it's on me on the ship. When I zip my luggage and backpack the party starts and everything better be there, it eliminates any other difficulties. 

Edited by TTEllis
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 10:03 AM, RedgeToo said:

There are websites that cater for solos offering big discounts for solo travellers. I don't think I'm allowed to name them but sometimes Google is your friend.

Thanks for the heads up.  Usually what I run into is any kind of solo deal is for inside cabins only.  And I always want a balcony.  But I will look into it.  Thanks!

On 5/20/2023 at 7:54 AM, Snowysmom said:

I appreciate all the advice for solo travel.  I lost my DH suddenly, 19 months ago.  We did alot of traveling including cruises.  I recently did a Disney cruise with a friend.  We do travel well together but I know she does not want to leave her husband for longer than a 4 night cruise.  I want to look into 7 night cruises.  Reading these posts give me hope that I can do it myself and enjoy the trip. I would find the dining to be the hardest part.  I have to try solo dining out in my town to get used to it.  I have a solo Disney park trip in the Fall.  We loved going to Disney together so now I will see how I do on my own.  Next up after that, a solo cruise. 

You don't have to dine alone, especially on a Disney cruise. They will seat you with other solo travelers. I have met some really interesting people this way and it's been a lot of fun.

I'll be heading on my 11th solo cruise this September and I can't wait.

The hardest part for me honestly is getting good pictures taken. I'll have some people stop and take one half decent picture and that's it. I appreciate it because they don't have to but when I tend to take pictures for people, I put in an effort to take 4 or 5 shots with different angles.

On one of my solo cruises, I went to a beach in Aruba for the day and shared a taxi with a family from a Carnival ship. One of the ladies in the group saw me taking a selfie and said catch me later and I'll take a picture for you .... she literally ended up taking about 50 pictures of me walking up and down the beach. It was fantastic and so appreciated. She said just because you're traveling solo doesn't mean you can't make your friends back home jealous LOL

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Virtopia said:

I'll be heading on my 11th solo cruise this September and I can't wait.

The hardest part for me honestly is getting good pictures taken. I'll have some people stop and take one half decent picture and that's it. I appreciate it because they don't have to but when I tend to take pictures for people, I put in an effort to take 4 or 5 shots with different angles.

That's great to have taken so many trips!

I don't worry about pictures of me because 1) I don't photograph well and 2) I pretty much know what I look like.  I take LOTS of pictures of almost everything else around me, just because.  Like my friend on a recent cruise I took:

IMG_20230412_095513.thumb.jpg.3e83390193fa973e3567ab076f820c72.jpg

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

That's great to have taken so many trips!

I don't worry about pictures of me because 1) I don't photograph well and 2) I pretty much know what I look like.  I take LOTS of pictures of almost everything else around me, just because.  Like my friend on a recent cruise I took:

IMG_20230412_095513.thumb.jpg.3e83390193fa973e3567ab076f820c72.jpg

Hudson is awesome!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I came across this topic while searching for something regarding solo dining in the buffet!  I have been travelling solo for nearly 20 years after losing my husband.  That first time, I was a nervous wreck! However now I am fine, and I love it.  When cruising, I always try to get fixed dining on a table of 6 - 8 in the MDR for dinner.  I find it's nice to be able to see the same people each night and discuss your day with them.  I prefer sitting with couples or families.  I have found on Princess, they seem to seat all the singles together, which doesn't seem to be the case with HAL and Celebrity.

My biggest concern (apart from the single supplement) is breakfast or lunch, and what to do in the buffet when you want to get up to get something else!  It's fine if you had been sharing a table with others, as you can ask them not to let the waiter/tress clear your perhaps not finished food or drink.  But so many times when I have been at a table by myself, I come back to find the table has been cleared, my half eaten meal gone, and perhaps others are seated there!!  What do other singles do?  I have tried tilting the chair forward to try to indicate it's "taken".  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and the chair just gets straightened and table cleared anyway .  On my up-coming cruise, I am considering taking a book and an old pair of glasses and leaving them there.  Things that it won't matter if they "go missing".  I usually have my phone or tablet with me, but don't want to risk leaving anything valuable on the table.

I would love to hear what others do, or is there some cruise etiquette that I have yet to learn!! 😂😂

1 minute ago, NaughtyNanna said:

I came across this topic while searching for something regarding solo dining in the buffet!  I have been travelling solo for nearly 20 years after losing my husband.  That first time, I was a nervous wreck! However now I am fine, and I love it.  When cruising, I always try to get fixed dining on a table of 6 - 8 in the MDR for dinner.  I find it's nice to be able to see the same people each night and discuss your day with them.  I prefer sitting with couples or families.  I have found on Princess, they seem to seat all the singles together, which doesn't seem to be the case with HAL and Celebrity.

My biggest concern (apart from the single supplement) is breakfast or lunch, and what to do in the buffet when you want to get up to get something else!  It's fine if you had been sharing a table with others, as you can ask them not to let the waiter/tress clear your perhaps not finished food or drink.  But so many times when I have been at a table by myself, I come back to find the table has been cleared, my half eaten meal gone, and perhaps others are seated there!!  What do other singles do?  I have tried tilting the chair forward to try to indicate it's "taken".  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and the chair just gets straightened and table cleared anyway .  On my up-coming cruise, I am considering taking a book and an old pair of glasses and leaving them there.  Things that it won't matter if they "go missing".  I usually have my phone or tablet with me, but don't want to risk leaving anything valuable on the table.

I would love to hear what others do, or is there some cruise etiquette that I have yet to learn!! 😂😂

I don't eat in the buffet - I prefer the MDR

11 minutes ago, NaughtyNanna said:

I don't eat in the buffet for dinner, but for breakfast or lunch, I find it is just quicker and more in line with my eating habits for those meals.

That's fine.

I just prefer the MDR for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The world would be a dull place if we were all the same

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NaughtyNanna said:

Here are the tactics I use at the buffet:

• I do my best to grab everything I'm going to eat in one go and then find a place to sit
  • Sometimes if I think I'm likely to get something else, I'll sit close to wherever it is, and either grab it before I start dining or make a short trip to pick it up later
  • I tend to line up early at the trough for breakfast and normally skip lunch

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:
  • I tend to line up early at the trough for breakfast and normally skip lunch

For me it's either late breakfast, or early lunch!  Rarely both!! 😄

Edited by NaughtyNanna
  • Like 1

I bring a tote bag and cap, sometimes a book. I leave these on the table when I want to get something and come right back. If there is a staff member nearby, I point out my table and tell them I will be right back

Edited by Cruise Kay
  • Thanks 1

I often find the MDR is too big of a production, but it is a nice way to find others to dine with.  However....

Just take a small personal item to leave in your place while you're away - a hat, a book, a pair of glasses.  They can even be props you use just for that purpose.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, calliopecruiser said:

I often find the MDR is too big of a production, but it is a nice way to find others to dine with.  However....

Just take a small personal item to leave in your place while you're away - a hat, a book, a pair of glasses.  They can even be props you use just for that purpose.

Yes, that is what I am planning to do this time! 😁

On 11/20/2022 at 4:57 PM, LouisV said:

Mommie dearest brought me up with the saying " well what will people think?". I'm now 65 and frankly I don't give a damn anymore.....going on my first solo cruise on May 9, 2023. 

Maybe a little off-topic, but I learned this poem wwayyyy back in high school and it really resonated with me then. I'm now approaching 50 and I love it even more. Thought you might enjoy it, too. 😉

Warning, by Jenny Joseph

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn’t go, and doesn’t suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we’ve no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I’m tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people’s gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practise a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2022 at 12:09 AM, Hflors said:

Sitting here thinking about my upcoming cruise and looking around realizing that there is no one to share all the planning and selecting of tours, dinners, packages etc.  Before my husband passed, we always did this together.  I always printed the list of tours and then he would read it over and together we would decide on what tours we wanted to do and what places we would just do a diy day.   What nights we would do specialty dinners and what night we would go to the dining room or buffet after a long day.  Now it's just me and there is no more discussions and decisions shared.  It's just me trying to make all the decisions alone.  For me this is the hardest.  Since I have actually never been on a cruise yet by myself, I really don't know how being alone on the ship will be.  I am bringing my crocheting and a couple of good books just in case I get lonely.

So what do you find the hardest about cruising solo??

Sorry for your loss. I used to take cruises with my mother before she passed. Reading your post reminds me of all the things that we did together too. Travelling solo can seem kind of scary at first but I’ve met a lot of wonderful people! shared many laughs and many dinners in the main dining room. So how has your solo cruises been so far? I know the post is a year old now how did you like it and will you be going on more so cruises in the future?😀

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...